PDA

View Full Version : A little of this and a little of that

One
03-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Here's this new one Yar.

Ö 1095, copper and wood.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/taigoo/On%20The%20Bench/On%20The%20Bench%202011/DSCN1982.jpg

BRad704
03-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Looks great! I love the general style of your knives.

Raymond Richard
03-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Ita, You are evolving. I like that. How about a close up picture of the fittings. What is the wood you used?

One
03-08-2011, 06:42 AM
Yra, It's pommele sapele wood. I might try and take some more pics later on.

Raymond Richard
03-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Yra, It's pommele sapele wood. I might try and take some more pics later on.

Ita, Is the pommele sapele wood something you harvested locally?

One
03-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Yar,

No. It's some really rare African stuff. You can hardly get it anymore. The pix don't do the wood justice.

Hereís a couple closer shots of the pommele sapele handle and copper fittings.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/taigoo/On%20The%20Bench/On%20The%20Bench%202011/DSCN1999-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/taigoo/On%20The%20Bench/On%20The%20Bench%202011/DSCN2004.jpg

Raymond Richard
03-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Ita, Thanks for the close ups. I've never heard to the wood before. After I was looking at these last photo's how the heck do you keep things together without losing the previous piece you just soldered? Please don't expect to see me trying something like that.

One
03-09-2011, 06:25 AM
Yar, The smaller rings going around the ferrule actually catch under the larger rings. So, the larger rings held them in place while I soldered them. The little beads in the centers were done one at a time. I used two grades of high temp silver solder, hard and medium, which also helped. Also, each time the solder is melted, it raises it's melting point by a fraction, and I only flux the area that's being soldered.

Phil Dwyer
03-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Sweet Tai! I really enjoy your "jewelry" making style knives. That little necker pokidoshi (?) piece still haunts my dreams. From here the soldering on the ferrule looks superb, aka invisible!

If you don't mind my asking, how is the tang terminated and the pommel secured to it?

One
03-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks Phil.

The tang is separate from the end piece on this one, because the blade/tang is so thin. On some others that are thicker in cross section, I solder a piece of copper on the end of the tang into "V' notch and peen it over a washer. This one is held together by friction fits and epoxy. I put grooves in the tang and the shaft on the end piece before final assembly to hold the parts mechanically as well.

P.S. I think we're finally getting somewhere with the "Hammerjamin” video. I just got the first rough cut back from the editor last week. Hopefully it won't be too much longer.

One
03-09-2011, 09:49 AM
I forgot to mention,... For the end piece itself, I started by forging a slight taper to the shaft. Then, slid the washer up until it was tight and soldered it to the shaft. After that, I trimmed the top side, dropped it in a heading tool and peened the top over. I also put my mark on the very end.

Phil Dwyer
03-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Good news on the video!

Any chance of a head-on-type snapshot of the end with your mark?

One
03-09-2011, 10:58 AM
It’s not square on, but the best I have.

I turned the handle on pen mandrel, so the hole goes clean through. I had to put something in the end,... but it also protects the end and looks kind of cool.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/taigoo/On%20The%20Bench/On%20The%20Bench%202011/DSCN2001.jpg

One
03-09-2011, 11:22 AM
From here the soldering on the ferrule looks superb, aka invisible!

Phyl, to hide the silver solder seams,... first I planned it so that most of the soldering would be hidden down in the undercuts of the round wire, but then also pickled it with some "steel wire" in the pickling solution. It basically copper plates the whole thing including the seams. It will rub off the highlights though, if you rub it with steel wool or Scotch brite,... but it stays down in the undercuts and recessed areas. I also used a little low temp heat patina with highlighting.

One
03-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Please don't expect to see me trying something like that.

yaR,

It's really not that hard to do and it's fun! I think you'd really like working with copper. You aught to come down again and I'll show how to get started. I just use a cheap little map gas torch. Itís easy! :)

One
03-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Doing the little domed beads was kind of fun. I made those by clipping off little pieces of copper wire, fluxing them and melting them with the torch. They pulled up into little beads with a flat spot on the bottom. Then, I cut tiny thin flat sheets of solder foil and set them in the centers of the little rings with a dab of flux, and then set the little beads on top of the solder inside the little rings. Then just heated it up until the solder melted. I had to do one at a time, pickle and clean each spot in succession as I went. It made me feel like a dentist,… filling cavities. LOL

Raymond Richard
03-09-2011, 01:29 PM
yaR,

It's really not that hard to do and it's fun! I think you'd really like working with copper. You aught to come down again and I'll show how to get started. I just use a cheap little map gas torch. It’s easy! :)

One of these days we will have to get together again. Maybe when we make our next movie. I'm not sure I would have the patients to deal with the small stuff.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get Farmer Phil to comment on my work.

Phil Dwyer
03-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Ha, ha, ha...very funny Ray! I've been trying to keep my head down as I don't want to look too much like a Raymond Richard groupie. That, and I have to keep biting my tongue to not pester you about how to make those sexy sheaths of yours!

Thanks for the butt shot Tai! Looks cool. I always liked making beads too. The process almost feels metaphysical. I'll have to find some silver solder foil. Never tried that before.

Raymond Richard
03-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Ha, ha, ha...very funny Ray! I've been trying to keep my head down as I don't want to look too much like a Raymond Richard groupie. That, and I have to keep biting my tongue to not pester you about how to make those sexy sheaths of yours!

Thanks for the butt shot Tai! Looks cool. I always liked making beads too. The process almost feels metaphysical. I'll to find some solder foil. Never tried that before.

Groupie, You'd be number 3 or 4. Shoot me an email about the sheaths.

Phil Dwyer
03-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks Ray. I'll take you up on that.