PDA

View Full Version : Which steel and where

millert
01-24-2011, 05:15 PM
I apologize ahead of time if this has been asked already. If there is a thread somewhere that deals with it please direct me to it.

I've been making blades from rr spikes and lawnmower blades. rr spikes just seem to be a waste of time when it comes to a decent finished product. As for the lawnmower blades, well they have this big hole in the middle that I have come to find annoying.

I'm wanting to move to a little friendlier material and 1081 and 5160 have been recommended. I don't particularly like stock removal... I much prefer forging.

Do you folks have any advice on the best place to buy or whether there would be a better material to invest my efforts in?

I have also been wondering whether sucker rod might be high enough in carbon to make a good knife.

Thanks

murphda2
01-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Get in touch with Uncle Aldo, the "New Jersey Steel Baron". He can help you with just about any steel you want. He has many of the 10xx series steels as well as 5160 and will soon have a batch of W-2. He's a great guy with great steel and awesom customer service. Just tell him the Knife Dogs sent ya.

You can check out his forum here:

Here is his contact info. from his forum:

www.njsteelbaron.com
aldo@njsteelbaron.com
Ph # 862-203-8160

His website is currently down due to some issues, so the best way to contact him will be by e-mail or phone.

Raymond Richard
01-26-2011, 01:36 PM
I apologize ahead of time if this has been asked already. If there is a thread somewhere that deals with it please direct me to it.

I've been making blades from rr spikes and lawnmower blades. rr spikes just seem to be a waste of time when it comes to a decent finished product. As for the lawnmower blades, well they have this big hole in the middle that I have come to find annoying.

I'm wanting to move to a little friendlier material and 1081 and 5160 have been recommended. I don't particularly like stock removal... I much prefer forging.

Do you folks have any advice on the best place to buy or whether there would be a better material to invest my efforts in?

I have also been wondering whether sucker rod might be high enough in carbon to make a good knife.

Thanks

Not sure as to what sucker rod is but have heard the term before. If you want to mess with something that works pretty good for blades try some 60 grade rebar. I've always had good luck with it. You can get scrapes probably for free from just about any construction site. Just make sure you ask first. Pretty sure most the rebar on the larger construction projects are 60 grade. Its usually marked on the bar in several places if its real long.

Eli Gautreaux
01-27-2011, 04:32 PM
I've got a knife Ray made from this and have used it extensively, skinning hogs etc, and have been amazed at it's performance :)

mofretwell
01-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Sucker rod is the long steel rod used on oil rig jack pumps to pump oil. See Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucker_rod

Norris gives detailed specifications as to the composition of sucker rods: http://www.norrisrods.com/products_sucker_rods_specs.asp

millert
02-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Thanks guys! I've been busy and haven't had a chance to get back... You know how that is! Great advice! I'll certainly see if I can find rebar... Here in NM nothing seems to be abundant, even rebar.

millert
02-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Looks like some of it may be alright as far as carbon content... Still a little low but better than rr spikes. I'm not sure how the rest of the metallurgical breakdown affects blade making though. What do you think?