PDA

View Full Version : Grinding Question

SHostetler
01-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Rob,
Is there anything wrong with grinding on a metallic wheel such as the drive wheel on your horizontal grinder or the wheels on the platten? Does it reduce belt life or ruin the wheel or give a poor finish?

Inquiring minds....

Regards,
Steve Hostetler

Eric Poris
01-09-2011, 09:59 PM
I am by no means an expert....there has to be some sort of give when you are grinding metal. That is why contact wheels have rubber on them. I'm sure your belt life would fall off the face of the earth and whatever you are trying to grind would get very hot very fast. I can't imagine this would be good for the metal wheel you are using either. I'm assuming you are asking about grinding for an extended period of time on the metal wheel?

rfrink
01-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Is there anything wrong with grinding on a metallic wheel such as the drive wheel on your horizontal grinder or the wheels on the platten? Does it reduce belt life or ruin the wheel or give a poor finish?

Hi Steve, The way that I think about it is like this:

Grinding against a metal wheel is almost the same as grinding against a metal platen...but better in the sense that the wheel is moving with the belt...thus reducing the secondary friction.

But, same as with the platen, it is hard and the grinding action is bumpy from the belt seam. The process is brutal on belt life. It has a tendancy to strip the abrasive off and to crush the abrasive into the backing material. Belts just don't last as long on the platen as they do on a softer contact wheel.

When we want to grind something flat...we have to use the platen because we really don't have any other choices. But when grinding against wheels...there is a choice...you can go the hard and bummpy route using metal wheels....or use a contact wheel to get that silky smooth cutting action and surface finish.

BTW....we have 4" diameter contact wheels and work rest attachments for the drive wheel on our horizontal grinders.

http://beaumontmetalworks.com/em/EF-CW-1.jpg

It is 4" diameter X 2-1/4" wide. 5/8" bore with keyway for mounting on motor shafts.

I hope this helps.

-Rob