PDA

View Full Version : Tip up, or tip down!

Les George
09-27-2009, 01:04 PM
What is your preference and why?

I think that tip up is the way to go for me. I was tip down for a long time (since that is how my first real knife was) but when I designed my first folder, I took a long hard look at it.

I decided that I would default to tip down for one reason. Ease of living.

I think it's easier to live with a folder clipped tip up. Trying to get something outta my pocket when I had to get around a tip down folder sucked.

It is so much easier to slid my hand past the smooth back of the knife than past the finder protecting part of the handle and the thumb opener, be it disk or stud...

I know some people like the opposite as me and I have no problem with that. But when I get to pick, I pick tip up! 2thumbs

I think that the only reason to carry a folder over a fixed blade is ease of carry. In my opinion that is the ONLY reason.

Just like the only reason to have a pistol over a rifle is ease of carry. If you can chose, a rifle and a fixed blade are pretty much always better than a folder and a pistol, but we do what we can in the world we live in.

I got more topics to address, but I thought I would start here.

What do YOU think?

Jeff Pearce
09-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Tip up.That is the way i like to carry mine.It is faster to open for me .I carry a sebenza .But i would love to carry a Les George . maybe some day....mo money

Gary B
09-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Don't gues it really matters that much. I prefer tip down... probably because my first Benchmade was tip down. I just automatically reach for it that way. That was MANY years ago. Aint muscle memory somethin.

My FM1 has holes tapped on both ends, so I will just wear it whichever ways feels good on a given day.

stogie

mwalx30123
09-27-2009, 04:05 PM
I think tip down is the only way to carry a folder. No accidental openings in pocket and faster from draw to defensive position. Should include that is for a tactical knife and/or application though.

Frstr8
09-27-2009, 04:15 PM
I would have said tip down because it's what I have been used to, but I recently acquired a a ZT0350 and changed the clip for tip up carry. I am gonna try that for a while as it seems to lend itself to the flipper type of knife. Time will tell if, after I get used to it, I prefer it over the tip down. huh1

John Barker
09-27-2009, 10:17 PM
I've always like tip up.
-John

Tod Lowe
09-28-2009, 06:44 AM
I have never thought of how I do it. I just stick it in.
Now that I think about it logic tells me to put it tip down. When you reach in for it you wont accidently get poked or cut if the blade got propped open by something else in your pocket.

Scott Jones
09-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Tip up. It just works better in my hand when I deploy it.

Although It really isn't an issue that would stop me from buying a knife I like.

Tomo Hisamoto
09-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Practice makes perfect. Up/ down as long as there is a knife around

Darklight
09-29-2009, 12:43 PM
It' a little bit different for me. For us, french citizen, carrying a pocket knife isn't really alowed. For this reason, more than a preference between tip up/down carry, I'll choose the more dicreet way of carrying my knife clipped on my front right pocket.

Speaking about the FM-1, I'm using the tip-up configuration because I have experienced a tiny problem with the thumstuds. As the studs are going beyond each side of the knife, I have noticed they were quite hungry for my jeans pocket's stitchings !
The only drawback I've found on my FM-1................................................. ...................excepting the addiction he has generated ;)

Les George
09-29-2009, 02:12 PM
It' a little bit different for me. For us, french citizen, carrying a pocket knife isn't really alowed. For this reason, more than a preference between tip up/down carry, I'll choose the more dicreet way of carrying my knife clipped on my front right pocket.

Speaking about the FM-1, I'm using the tip-up configuration because I have experienced a tiny problem with the thumstuds. As the studs are going beyond each side of the knife, I have noticed they were quite hungry for my jeans pocket's stitchings !
The only drawback I've found on my FM-1................................................. ...................excepting the addiction he has generated ;)

Yours is one of the few that was set up for either tip up or tip down. Did you ever try it out tip down?

Mine catches my pocket once in a while, but it's never been enough to be a problem... Anyone else have that happen to them?

rvin1911
09-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Not yet,
but send me a few more folders and I'll test them out:p

EdCaffreyMS
09-29-2009, 07:58 PM
TIP DOWN! I will not even produce a folder that is setup to carry Tip-up, and here's why....

The first reason is the liability involved.....things happen and although you may never experience a problem, why take that chance.

Second reason: This happened to me...I was working cattle (on horseback) at a local ranch. I had a tip up carry folder in my pocket. We had what folks around here call "a wreck", when a roped calf tried to go through a fence. I needed a knife in a hurry, jumped off the horse and snatched the folder from my pocket....when I tried to snatch it. I'm assuming that all the bouncing on the horse had made the tip come out, and when I jerked it out the blade went through inside pocket, and into my thigh. After a lot of blood, a 30 min ride to the hospital, and 6 stitches, I learned a valuable lesson about carrying a folder Tip up.

Third Reason: When I was first starting folders, Kit Carson swore to me that if he ever caught me making a tip up carry, he would fly to Montana a kick me right square in the privates! :running dog:

Darklight
09-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Yours is one of the few that was set up for either tip up or tip down. Did you ever try it out tip down?

Mine catches my pocket once in a while, but it's never been enough to be a problem... Anyone else have that happen to them?

Yes, Les I've tried both configurations but when using the tip-down configuation, the studs were catching my pocket every time

Here is the result :

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6971/p1060348.jpg

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/4093/p1060357t.jpg

So I switched to tip-up now ;)

Les George
09-30-2009, 03:10 PM
I have a little scar on the back of my right hand from when I got caught on a tip down knife when I put my hand in the pocket....

There is no right or wrong way, this debate will ride on forever... The most important thing is that you are familiar with the tools you carry and can employ them safely and quickly as needed.

Great topic for discussion among people that like to over think every little detail! :cool:

Yes, Les I've tried both configurations but when using the tip-down configuation, the studs were catching my pocket every time

So I switched to tip-up now ;)

That's weird, I have not heard of anyone else having that problem..... Tip up is better anyway! :D

Clydetz
09-30-2009, 03:32 PM
I don't really hate clips, it's just that I don't use them. The knife either sits deep in my pocket or sits in a sheath. I guess I'm just to old to trust a clip. :D

Darklight
09-30-2009, 04:52 PM
That's weird, I have not heard of anyone else having that problem..... Tip up is better anyway! :D

I'm maybe playing too much with it cool 1
Too sad Les, you have missed perfection with this folder by about 1mm...;)

Les George
09-30-2009, 05:18 PM
That's OK, it will give you something else to buy when I get that last mm right! LOL :):):):)

Darklight
10-01-2009, 01:13 AM
LOL
;)

bigbob68
10-15-2009, 09:11 AM
I just need one to get started. i usually prefer tip down but i do not think I would care one way or the other. I get used to both ways of carry. Most of mine are tip up because that is the only option.

bigbob68
10-15-2009, 09:12 AM
I just need one to get started. I usually prefer tip down but I do not think I would care one way or the other. I get used to both ways of carry. Most of mine are tip up because that is the only option. On a George I would probably prefer tip up as to not mess with the bolsters of the knife.

Semper708
10-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Tip Up....faster to open coming from pocket, for me anyway....cool 1

CAD
10-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Tip up....2thumbs

Chris D.

Midnight
10-17-2009, 06:12 PM
I like tip up generally...
Just because it feels more natural for me to reach down and have the knife in palm ready to open.

I have however experienced some unwanted extraction opening with thumbstuds or discs but nothing life threatening...

Basicaly, I need a clip and I like tip up carry but I'm not a radical.

M.Olexey
10-17-2009, 06:30 PM
Tip up. I like the spine of the blade to be toward the back of my pocket. Easier for me to draw the knife into the grip I want it in.

mo

VCM
10-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Tip down,Way safer!
-Vince

commodorewheeler
10-23-2009, 10:42 AM
I prefer tip up, it feels more natural to me when I draw the knife.

I don't buy that tip down carry is any safer than tip up carry, especially when I carry in my front pocket. With tip up there, the blade is actually against the seam of the pocket, which helps prevent it from accidentally opening, at least for me. With tip down, the blade isn't held closed by anything and can be (and has been, for me) pulled open by keys or whatever else I have in that front pocket.

ren52157
10-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Tip up for me! Mostly because that's what my new FM-1 has and it seems to work fine. I'm used to carrying a small fixed blade in my front pocket but this seems to be a more convenient alternative. Maybe it's just the knife, but I don't see how this could accidentally open given how securely it rides in the pocket with the knife blade tucked against the back seam of the pocket. Also, tip up makes for very natural blade deployment.

Oromoto
04-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Tip up for me because I usually carry the knife in my back pocket, and the reaction time is much faster.

Rock
04-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Tip up.

1) If my adrenaline is through the roof, I don't have to depend on fine motor skills to hang onto the knife while rotating the handle into a natural grip, my thumb is already by the thumbstud or finger by the flipper.

2) I take care of, but don't baby most of my EDCs, that mean keys and coins in the same pocket. With tip down, the blade gets a lot more scratches, and I have had coins get wedged between the blade and spacers so it failed to open or sent a coin flying. It also gets more pocket lint and debris inside the handle which collects moisture.

3) I had a Pro-Tech Godfather (auto) open in my pocket once (tip up). Since it rode in the back of the pocket, only the tip cleared the handle by about a half an inch. If I were less aware, or grabbing for it in a hurry, I might have ruined my pants and cut my outer thigh. If it were tip down, it would have been closer to the boys and femoral artery if there was any twisting or falling involved.

I have both, and it is not a deciding factor in making a purchase, but I do have a strong preference for tip up. No more autos. The presentation speed difference is almost nil and the liability is a lot higher.

Steven Janik
04-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Tip up, Spine forward and half open on the draw or you may as well carry it in your purse.

I'm just saying...
Steve

Larry B.
04-24-2010, 01:29 PM
I don't like clips and I think it takes away from the style of the knife. Some makers can incorporate the clip into the flow of the handle and it seems to melt in. That's cool with me.
Besides in N.Y. you can't have a blade over 4", so why would I need a clip anyway.

Rock
04-24-2010, 02:35 PM
The clip holds the knife in the same position all the time. It also keeps it towards the back of the pocket and clear of other items, so you don't have to fish for it in an emergency.

Larry B.
04-24-2010, 03:30 PM
I don't have to fish for it as I just put my hand in my pocket and it's there. :cool: