PDA

View Full Version : Missouri clubs ?

dancalvin
01-04-2011, 09:36 PM
I would like to find a club in or close to northeast Missouri , to find a few fairly local contacts
Thanks

bubba-san
01-05-2011, 05:07 AM
Why dont we start one ? Bubba-san

mike miller
01-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Used to be a Midwest Knifemakers Association google that

bubba-san
01-05-2011, 08:03 AM
I did , that seems to be another forum ? I think a missouri knife club would be a great idea ! somewhere we can hold meetings , hammer -ins and actually meet and make friends with various makers from Missouri . Who is up for that. We would need something kind of centrally located so everyone could make a trip once in a while . How about some input from some MO guys , and anyone who cares to join Bubba-san

dancalvin
01-05-2011, 07:57 PM
I would love to help ya any way I can , bubba-san . I know there are few makers up here .
No matter what I will have to look you up when we take the famdamily floating this summer.
My son and I will be at the St. Louis knife show on the 22 or 23rd of this month , maybe I'll round up a few prospects or at least get weird looks .

bubba-san
01-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Is that show at the machinists hall or the one on Hampton ave. In the carpenters hall ? I might go and look around . Dont have much for sale right now but, I am getting very close to finishing some projects . It would be great to have say a " knife guild "or something like that . We dont have many straight up knife shows , usually more guns than knives.

dancalvin
01-06-2011, 09:55 AM
It's on Hampton at the carpenters hall . It would be great if there was at least a semiannual show in Mo some where .
I don't have very much knowledge of starting up guilds or clubs but I would be glad to help as much as possible .

bubba-san
01-06-2011, 08:16 PM
best way is word of mouth . Some folks cant always take those long trips for the big shows but, you can usually find time if its not too far away ! We can just post a membership drive for missouri members and some states that are close . I will try and make that carpenters hall show . I will look you up Bubba

dancalvin
01-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Sounds good . Hope to catch us there .
So any Show-me State knife junkies out there let me know ........

listerp
01-10-2011, 12:03 PM
There is a great one in Kansas!

http://www.kansasknives.org/index.html

dancalvin
01-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Only problem is ks is on the other side of the state . I know there are at least a few knifemakers in the east side of mo . Just need to get everybody congregated at to sort out some details and get things rolling .

bubba-san
01-11-2011, 10:48 AM
There are lots of blade and knife smiths in missouri , We always have to go somewhere else !!!! I think we owe it to ourselves to start a club . We could be the first 2 new members

dancalvin
01-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Maybe a few of us can get together at the St.Louis knife show . I know there will be some Missouri makers there . On Jan 22-23 @ the carpenters union hall on Watson road .

bubba-san
01-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Sounds good , will probably see you there . Bubba

dancalvin
01-12-2011, 07:58 PM
That's two of us . Now any other makers , speak up and don't be shy

bubba-san
01-13-2011, 09:39 AM
there will probably be plenty of makers at show who probably would want to join !!

listerp
01-17-2011, 09:06 AM
Keep me posted if you form a club, I'm a member of the Kansas club, and live in the KC area, but would be interested in a Missouri club as well depending on where you hold your meetings.

bubba-san
01-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Hello listerp, I guess keep an eye on this post and we will keep you informed ,or I can email you when we get organised. Regards ...... Bubba

dancalvin
01-18-2011, 09:56 AM
For anyone going to the Stl show . I should be there Saturday morning about 9:30 or 10:00 am . Maybe a few of us van get a thing or two figured out about the particulars of starting a Missouri knifemakers club .

bubba-san
01-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Well we received 12" of the white stuff . and expect it to snow friday , we may get about 18 -20 " That would put a real damper on knife show . If this stuff stays on ground the show will probably not have too many customers / buyers . I hate it when I plan something and the weather wont cooperate , I was excited about show, now I have the winter doldrums. I will wait until tomorrow before I make up my mind on attending show or not ???:mad: I can't even go to post office , missouri HP will issue citation if they catch you driving hwy 8 in east central missouri until they clean the roads.

dancalvin
01-20-2011, 02:49 PM
We didn't get but 5" or so . And it will take more than that to hold me back ! I will be there . Bubba if ya go let me know , and that for a for anyone else interested in a Missouri knifemakers club . I should be there before 10 am Saturday morning .
Hope to see a bunch of Missouri guys there. Drive safe if you do drive .

bubba-san
01-20-2011, 04:41 PM
It finally stopped snowing , I was starting to doubt if I was going !! but the sun came out and it dont look too bad . So I will be there

dancalvin
01-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Cool see ya there

dancalvin
01-24-2011, 08:04 AM
That was a.pretty good show.on St.Louis . No supply vendors though . I did talk to a few Missouri makers ,hot some gray information . And it was good meet Bubba .

bubba-san
01-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Yes it was a good show , It was really packed all day saturday , I only went the one day . I picked up about 25 business cards of possible members . It was nice to meet you and your brother . I must have walked through about 5 times ! you never know what you might miss . I did miss a real nice signed wakizashi in shirasaya , Heck. I walked by it a couple times didnt see it . I will stay in touch . If the weather stays decent the shows will have better attendence. Maybe this spring we will have a hammer -in ? Bubba

tjm
04-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Id be very interested in a club - I live in St Louis and cant seem to find much in the way of mentoring or formal instruction. I started making a knife from a scrap piece of metal with a bench vise and a hand held grinder. Poor planning. I almost crushed and/or impaled my foot when the whole mess broke off the bench. I figure Id better start with some instruction from someone who knows what the heck they are doing.

If this progresses, or if you have someone that might offer instruction, Id be very interested in knowing.

Thanks gents!

bubba-san
04-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Maybe we can start a missouri club ? we talked about this on several occassions but, we can always get together for hammerin .What part mo. you from ???

tjm
04-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Im in St Louis city. I have a great passion for knives, and I would love to make a few of my own someday. I have been looking online for formal instruction but have had no luck.

Do you live near St Louis?

bubba-san
04-05-2011, 02:32 PM
I used to live in St Louis , near jamieson and pernod ave about a block from lindenwood park .. I now live between potosi and steelville after I retired from military. We should try and get all the makers and whoever ,together at one of the st louis knife shows and we can talk about starting a new Missouri Knife club !! I dont do too much stock removal ( although I can ) Usually forge my blades . Maybe a group of us can get together and have a hammerin ? Bubba

dancalvin
04-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Bubba and I met at the January knife show at the carpenters hall , just ran short on time for much discussion about a club . But I still would like to get some makers together .
My big holdup is I need about 10 more hours in the day to keep up,at work and home . I will be putting up a thread as soon as I van get a bit of logistics work straight .

Dan

bubba-san
04-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Sounds good , post it up and lets see how many folks we can get together !!! Bubba