PDA

View Full Version : Hey James

Raymond Richard
09-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Its done other than peening the tang once the epoxy has set up. Now I have two sheaths to make. unsure

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1534.JPG

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1535.JPG

Eli Gautreaux
09-26-2009, 02:11 PM
VERY nice Ray, and congrats James! That one looks like it's begging to skin something...

J.Chappell
09-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Wow Ray that is a fine looking knife! I can’t imagine how it looks in hand; you know wood always looks better in hand than in pictures!

Eli, if I get my way it will have plenty of work for many, many seasons to come!

Ray as far as the sheaths go take your time, work on them as you feel fit to. It’s not like I don’t have a knife or two :rolleyes: to take into the woods till I get my latest prize! I haven’t bought a piece for a while and I'm afraid that this one is going to get me started again, lol. I have been thinking about asking you to do a piece based on the lines of a Kephart, with a Raymond Richard spin of course.

Always a pleasure Ray.

J.

Lorien
09-26-2009, 04:45 PM
that is a really nice knife.

J.Chappell
09-27-2009, 09:05 PM
I just cant stop looking at it! LOL

If it handles as well as it looks it may just be my new favorite. I just cant get over how well it looks or how closely it follows the drawing I sent to you. I like the way you changed the handle though, I like that a lot.

Raymond Richard
09-27-2009, 11:11 PM
I just cant stop looking at it! LOL

If it handles as well as it looks it may just be my new favorite. I just cant get over how well it looks or how closely it follows the drawing I sent to you. I like the way you changed the handle though, I like that a lot.

James, I've held off on peening the tang. I decided to let it set longer just to make sure the butt cap stays where it is. I'm thinking your going to want to use it. I've got a small knife show in Tacoma, Washington next weekend so I need to get ready for that but I'll have the sheath work done sometime next week and in the mail to you.

Raymond Richard
10-06-2009, 11:36 PM
James, I started both sheaths this afternoon and just finished them up. I just opened the box up with the older Nessmuk today. It was fun seeing it again. I hope you don't mind the frill.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1586.JPG

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1587.JPG

Peter Killgore
10-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Beautiful, as always. That has to be one of my favorite blade styles.

Raymond Richard
10-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Peter, I'm pretty fond of the Nessmuk blade shape myself. I was just looking for picture of an old style Marbles knife I made for James a couple years ago. After working on that knife I discovered even though it had a different look it actually started from the Nessmuk style blade. Hopefully James will have the picture of that one. This new one is actually a spin off of a Nessmuk. James should be getting this new knife sometime today so I'm looking forward to his reaction to this one.

J.Chappell
10-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Ray,

2thumbs

I canít say enough about the new knife! I love it already. All I have done with it so far is some light kitchen use but it seems like itís going to be great. The knife just seems to lend itself to just about any cutting chore.

I love the Nessmuks and Woodcrafts as Ray can tell you. I feel that they both are great skinning knives but the Nessmuk doesnít have the point of the Woodcraft so it falls short in general woods work. The Woodcraft often has a little too much belly to the rear of the blade to be as useful in all work as it could be.

Ray did a good job on my Woodcraft by bringing the belly forward where I feel it belongs while maintaining the prominent point for intricate work. I'll get a few photos of all three of my knives and post them in a day or two so you all can see the likeness of all three.

Thanks for the great piece Ray!!!

J.

Raymond Richard
10-13-2009, 07:35 PM
James, You going hunting soon? I'd like to see a picture of the 3 knives together. The handle on the new one felt a little small for me but it sounds like it fit your hand well. I want to hear a good report soon from a hunting trip! :D

J.Chappell
12-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Ray,

Well here it is Dec 19th and I am still buckless! I have decided to forgo the doe hunting this year as I still have some venison left in the freezer. I have been holding out for a decent buck but have yet to see one!

I had hoped to post some picks and a little story along with a review of my new knife but alas I have nothing, lol. I will keep trying but I may have to post a hiking/camping/fishing review instead, lol.

So far I have used it for kitchen use only as I haven’t had any overnight hunting forays this year. I will keep all posted and try to get the photo of all three knives on here like I said.

J.