PDA

View Full Version : Maxim oil is now selling Park #50.

busted knuckles
11-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Lee Neves at Maxim oil just contacted me to let me know he has P#50 available. He's selling it in 5gal buckets for $16 a gal.
He is also developing his own brand of 7sec oil, although it's not available yet.
Thought I'd let you all know.

murphda2
11-23-2010, 04:38 PM
$16 per gallon??? You gotta be kiddin me. That's an AWESOME price!!!

Troop
11-23-2010, 05:01 PM
WOW! That IS an awesome price!

murphda2
11-23-2010, 05:18 PM
I gave Lee a call and he wants me to let everyone know that he does not yet have Parks 50, but he says he can get it pretty easily. Just in case any of you guys were as excited as I was when reading the pricing, I didn't want you to get disappointed when you found out that it can't be put in the mail tomorrow. Lee also told me that all orders made once the product is received will have to be shipped via FedEx and will be subject to their "ground shipping" pricing.

Yes, I was excited when I read the pricing as well.

Lee tried to explain the new products that he is planning on formulating (the conversation was kind of like trying to explain astrophysics to a chimp, with me being the chimp). I have invited Lee to join us here on KD so that he may explain what he is working on. Hopefully we will see him chime-in in the near future.

busted knuckles
11-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Yea Murph, I had that conversation with him too. Made me feel kinda' dumb. sorry about the false alarm, He told me he has it and he'd send me some but maybe I misunderstood.

Leatherface
11-23-2010, 07:58 PM
well I will order some whenever he gets it in...

somebody give me a heads up and I shall have ready credit card

Troop
11-24-2010, 06:28 AM
Murph, Thanks for the clarification on the Parks. I was all set to pull the trigger this morning on some!
- Mitch

EdCaffreyMS
11-24-2010, 08:13 AM
That is a great price for Parks 50!
Not trying to rain on the parade, but make sure you check on the Fed-X shipping, and see if they are going to add the good 'ol "hazardous" shipping charge! A couple of years ago I ordered a 5 gallon pal of Paraffin oil (for a special blacksmithing project), and Fed-X tacked on a $40 "hazard" charge because it was an "oil". It was an extra $40 that I wasn't counting on....and made what was a bargain, a bad deal.

Since then I have always requested shipping via UPS, which may take a day or two longer, but they don't charge the extra on quenching oil, at least not yet.

Kevin R. Cashen
11-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Excellent point Ed! I too am excited about the news, but there always seems to be a catch and it is often provided by the shippers. I used to get barrels of #50 and wanted to share it at my cost but the shipping hassles put an end to that endeavor. I pay around $25 to $30 dollars for 1 liter of nital etchant for my microscope work, but by the time the shippers get done with the hazardous material fees it costs me around $75 to $80 total!! It always bites to pay so much more to get the item to you than what you payed for the item itself, it makes me feel for my customers in countries who pay the exorbitant import taxes.

Josh Dabney
11-24-2010, 10:36 AM
WOW, that is a good price. Since it's inline with this thread I thought I'd mention a couple things.

I've been attempting to do exactly what Kevin is taking about and put together a group purchase with local makers of 55 gallons of #50 and have been in touch with Parks directly. I always got the impression that Parks just didn't like knifemakers and were reluctant to sell to us when in reality they just don't sell in quantities less than 55 gallons.
They are quite happy to sell and ship a drum to anyone who'll take the entire 55 gallons.

One thing I thought was exceptionally cool was that when talking to the sales rep and I told her I was a knifemaker she actually recommended Kelly Cupples as a source for small quantity purchasing.

The cost of #50 as of 2 weeks ago is $13.29 per gallon or $730.95

Now I about had a heart attack when I used the UPS freight estimator to find the freight charge. It was something insane like $1050. However the freight quote from Parks was $84.83 shipped to my door in Melbourne FL. Due to the difference in freight from Parks and the UPS estimator I requested that Parks double check that figure to be it was correct and to the correct zip code and they confirmed it correct for me.

Oil + Frieght = $815.78 total cost to my door divided by eleven 5 gallon containers = $74.17 plus approx. $3 per bucket and $2 per lid.

Basically $80 per 5 gallons, bucket included or $16 per gallon. This is the absolute cheapest possible cost to get Parks #50 (unless you could pick it up in Detroit MI and save the freight)

Ed, I don't know if it would make a bit of difference to shipping companies but the Parks rep told me the oil is shipping code 65 non hazardous.

I'm still 4 guys short of having 55 gallons spoken for and don't wanna mess with shipping at all but if I get it put together I'll certainly post a thread with pics.

After all this typing it seems that if Maxim can sell it $16 a gallon it would be the absolute cheapest way to get #50 unless you can unload 55 gallons to locals and save the shipping cost. But a $3 a gallon for gas it seems there would hardly be any savings at all over just paying the shipping charge on 5 gallons.

Thought fellas interested in Parks #50 might find all this interesting info

-Josh

jkf96a
11-24-2010, 11:21 AM
FWIW, Maxim shipped me 5 gallons of their 10 second oil from Dallas to Abilene via fedex at a shipping cost of $24 if I remember right. That's a pretty short distance, but there weren't any hazmat fees or anything.

Troop
11-24-2010, 12:28 PM
WOW, that is a good price. Since it's inline with this thread I thought I'd mention a couple things.

I've been attempting to do exactly what Kevin is taking about and put together a group purchase with local makers of 55 gallons of #50 and have been in touch with Parks directly. I always got the impression that Parks just didn't like knifemakers and were reluctant to sell to us when in reality they just don't sell in quantities less than 55 gallons.
They are quite happy to sell and ship a drum to anyone who'll take the entire 55 gallons.

One thing I thought was exceptionally cool was that when talking to the sales rep and I told her I was a knifemaker she actually recommended Kelly Cupples as a source for small quantity purchasing.

The cost of #50 as of 2 weeks ago is $13.29 per gallon or $730.95

Now I about had a heart attack when I used the UPS freight estimator to find the freight charge. It was something insane like $1050. However the freight quote from Parks was $84.83 shipped to my door in Melbourne FL. Due to the difference in freight from Parks and the UPS estimator I requested that Parks double check that figure to be it was correct and to the correct zip code and they confirmed it correct for me.

Oil + Frieght = $815.78 total cost to my door divided by eleven 5 gallon containers = $74.17 plus approx. $3 per bucket and $2 per lid.

Basically $80 per 5 gallons, bucket included or $16 per gallon. This is the absolute cheapest possible cost to get Parks #50 (unless you could pick it up in Detroit MI and save the freight)

Ed, I don't know if it would make a bit of difference to shipping companies but the Parks rep told me the oil is shipping code 65 non hazardous.

I'm still 4 guys short of having 55 gallons spoken for and don't wanna mess with shipping at all but if I get it put together I'll certainly post a thread with pics.

After all this typing it seems that if Maxim can sell it $16 a gallon it would be the absolute cheapest way to get #50 unless you can unload 55 gallons to locals and save the shipping cost. But a $3 a gallon for gas it seems there would hardly be any savings at all over just paying the shipping charge on 5 gallons.

Thought fellas interested in Parks #50 might find all this interesting info

-Josh

Josh, I'm in for 5 gals. if it's 80 bucks including shipping.
- Mitch

murphda2
11-24-2010, 02:11 PM
In speaking with Lee, he stated that they used FedEx because they wers the most convenient and hassle free method of shipping. Though not considered "hazmat", the elevated shipping is due to mandatory "ground shipping" of the product. He also stated that UPS might possibly have a less expensive shipping rate, but thier requirements to
ship such products was quite strict (he would have to send a represenative to
a UPS hazmat school).

I've never spoken to Kelly, but I have exchanged e-mails and even ordered my Parks 50 from him. In my book, he is "Awesome". Next time I need Parks 50, I will most likely order from Lee though as it will be more convenient for me (lower cost + shorter shipping distance = savings).

busted knuckles
12-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Lee is sending me a 5 gal pail of his new fast quench oil he calls Duratherm 48 to try out. He'd like some feed back on what my results are. What I'd like to do is send a gallon of this stuff to a couple of you guys who have experience with other fast quench media like Park #50, houghton quench K and the like, even brine. I'd like to openly discuss our results and share them with our community and with Lee Neves.

I should have the oil in my possession by the 10th of Dec. If any one wants to try this stuff, let me know. previous Experience with 1095 would be helpful as is the ability to pay shipping on your gallon.

Here's what lee says about DT48.

"Seth;

The new oil is called Duratherm 48 (DT48). I am consistently getting 9.5 to 10.1 seconds, GM Mag. quenchspeed on chromized nickel balls( round robin, using 2 balls). That should correspond to a very low to mid 6 second quench on a nickel ball(+/-). Our industry rarely uses Nickel and has been using chromized nickel for its durability for many years. CrNi is predictably slower. DT48 has a viscosity of 46-48 SUS @ 100F. DT 48 exhibits a Flashpoint of approximately 280F (open cup).

This very low viscosity quench oil is recommended for use in an open quench system with adequate agitation (slow to medium; never use air ). The quench speed should be very fast but less severe and more uniform than that of a brine quench. The work-range of the oil should be 50-120F. Remember, the flashpoint is about 100F lower than 8-10 and 10-12 second oils, be careful with agitation as well as guard against water contamination. "

Rudy Joly
12-01-2010, 05:14 PM
That's great news Busted.
For the comparison, maybe Kevin Cashen and/or Ed Caffrey would oblige us. Why not start at the top of the experience ladder. I'm interested in the results. Can you give us price per 5 gal ?

Rudy

busted knuckles
12-01-2010, 07:28 PM
funny you mention Kevin and Ed, they are both on the very top of my list, but I wouldn't ask them. I think they are both busy men.

As for the price I'm not sure, but I do believe it'll be very reasonable. He gave me 5gal. for the price of shipping, which is why I'm giving some away. I feel I owe it to him to get results from more makers than just myself. and three gallons is plenty for me.

Dwane Oliver
12-01-2010, 07:42 PM
I sent them an e-mail asking for a price for 5gal and shipping , I'll let you know.

Leatherface
12-01-2010, 07:57 PM
hmm wonder how it will do with 5160 and 1084

john smith
12-01-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm interested in the results, but I feel I do not have enough time or experience under my belt to make an honest judgement
and no way to test rockwell.
We need another person that has experience to test.
I was just getting ready to send Lee a quick email to check on the progress of the quench.
Busted Knuckles I'm glad your on top of things, I do not want to just rely on parks 50 even thou we have another supplier.
Please keep me in the loop regarding the new quench.

Darrin Sanders
12-01-2010, 10:45 PM
I'd be willing to do some testing with it if you still have a gallon that isn't spoke for.

Darrin Sanders
12-01-2010, 10:48 PM
hmm wonder how it will do with 5160 and 1084
If it performs as described it should be great for any of the 10xx series although it may be a little fast for 5160.

McClellan Made Blades
12-02-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm interested in this as well, I've talked to Lee myself, (I think he's so nice because he's a Texan) anyway, how are you going to judge the results? Is there anyone willing to do the Rockwell testing, maybe having one or 2 different people to do the testing would be better, at least that way they could all be judge equally, I would be willing to Ht a few baldes with it, different types and thicknesses, using Aldo's 1084, and some of his 1095, the thick 3/8" stock he has, if there is someone that would do the RC testing for mine, I'd be happy to run a few blades on it, Thanks, Rex

Dwane Oliver
12-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Lee gave me a price for 5 gal of the DT48 of 72.50 and shipping to NM of 24.00

Rudy Joly
12-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Lee gave me a price for 5 gal of the DT48 of 72.50 and shipping to NM of 24.00

Thanks Dwane,
That's doable.

L. McAlpine
12-02-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm interested in this as well, I've talked to Lee myself, (I think he's so nice because he's a Texan) anyway, how are you going to judge the results? Is there anyone willing to do the Rockwell testing, maybe having one or 2 different people to do the testing would be better, at least that way they could all be judge equally, I would be willing to Ht a few baldes with it, different types and thicknesses, using Aldo's 1084, and some of his 1095, the thick 3/8" stock he has, if there is someone that would do the RC testing for mine, I'd be happy to run a few blades on it, Thanks, Rex

I'd be happy to do some RC testing for you.
Larry

busted knuckles
12-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks Larry, that's one of the missing ingredients. Ultimately I plan on comparing Parks #50, DT48 and a polymer Lee sells called PQ90. My interest in these is primarily for 1095. It would be great if I could send you a few pieces to test when I'm finished.

As far as testing in my shop, I'll quench some 1095 just like I'd do in brine and see how hard it gets. if I like the edge I get I'll do it again and again and again to see if I can get the same results multiple times.

Hey Darrin, I'll send you a gallon. PM me with your address and I'll let you know about shipping when I get the stuff.

Darrin Sanders
12-02-2010, 08:48 PM
PM sent.

McClellan Made Blades
12-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks Larry, that's one of the missing ingredients. Ultimately I plan on comparing Parks #50, DT48 and a polymer Lee sells called PQ90. My interest in these is primarily for 1095. It would be great if I could send you a few pieces to test when I'm finished.

As far as testing in my shop, I'll quench some 1095 just like I'd do in brine and see how hard it gets. if I like the edge I get I'll do it again and again and again to see if I can get the same results multiple times.

Hey Darrin, I'll send you a gallon. PM me with your address and I'll let you know about shipping when I get the stuff.

Are there any updates on the Maxim Quench oil? Or maybe an projected date when the new quench will be ready? Looking forward to getting some!! It is Christmas you know!!! Thanks, Rex

busted knuckles
12-14-2010, 10:04 PM
I haven't received the oil yet, it shipped a few days later than expected but should be here any day. I've got some blades ready for quenching and some squares to send to Larry but I need some oil first! I'll let you all know what my first impressions are but it'll take some time to get a full set of results with RC tests. I know a lot of you are interested in this and I'll do my best to get some results posted.

john smith
12-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the update.
Keep me in the loop.

Troop
12-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the update.
Keep me in the loop.

Ditto
- Thanks!

busted knuckles
12-27-2010, 11:07 PM
I got the DT48 over the holidays so I haven't had much time to try it out. I quenched three blades with it but haven't had a chance to finish them out yet. My preliminary testing shows that thinner cross sections of 1095 can get hard enough to make a cutting edge but I'll know how good of an edge after I sharpen them and do some edge testing. I quenched these first blades with clay on the spines because that's my usual method with 1095. this oil does need proper agitation to cool a blade of 1095 well, I don't think the "slicing motion" we talk about is adequate with this material. I believe it requires a mechanical means of agitation. More to come.
Darren, I got a gallon jug, I'll see about shipping tomorrow.

here's an excerpt from an e mail Lee just sent today.

"Also, we finally received the Park #50 and now have eleven 5 gallon pails in
stock in Ft Worth, TX. If you don't mind... please spread the word as I
would like to sell most of these #50 pails prior to getting more.
I have been trying to find ways to lower the costs.

As of 12/29/10, Maxim will offer the following to any who might call:

Duratherm 48- in a 5-gallon pail, 12.50 per gallon(62.50), plus fedex frt.
From Fort Worth, TX

Park # 50- in a 5-gallon pail, 14.50 per gallon(72.50), plus fedex frt.
From Fort Worth, TX

Folks need to ask for Carla(817-293-4-OIL); she takes most credit cards and
will be able to "fixem-up".

Seth, thanks...

Always Grateful;

Lee Neves
Maxim Metalworking Lubricants
Maxim Oil & Chemical Co.
Fort Worth, Texas
817 293 4-OIL

murphda2
12-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Wow, that's a good price! I'm kinda curious what the shipping cost would be to get another pail. I may have to call and ask tomorrow if I can remember to do so.

Darrin Sanders
12-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Hey Lee, I don't want to sound like I don't want the oil or appreciate the offer but I want to be honest and tell you that I do not have a way to mechanically circulate the oil in my quench tank. So if you would like to send my gallon to someone who does I understand and will not be the least bit offended. That being said now that you are aware of this I will test the oil to the best of my ability if you decide to send it. Just wanted to be sure we're on the same page. Thanks, Darrin.

Leatherface
12-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Murph,
u get any idea of that total?

john smith
12-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Seth.
Do you think mech agitation is necessary with all the fast steels with this quench or just the higher 1095.
Murph.
I checked with Lee from maxim, he said fedex shipping to washington state would be about $43.59 and it soounds like he lowered his price $2 a gal to belower then his parks 50 price. total to me would be $106.09 for 5gal Thanks for keeping in touch, look forward to more!!

busted knuckles
12-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Hey john, good agitation is important with any oil but, I,d say this stuff would work very well with 1084 or Damascus with 1084/15N20/52100 ect. my first quenches with this stuff were done using the "chopping motion" method on 1095,they got hard but I believe this oil will cool the steel much faster with a pump pushing oil across the blade, this is also what the manufacturer recommends. but, I'm still working with it and I don't want to jump to any conclusions yet. sorry guys, I'm trying to finish up a labor intensive project for one of my best customers and am focusing most of my attention on that. I'll have an edge on these first blades tomorrow and will give an update then.
Lee shipped me a 5gal bucket to Portland Oregon for $35, UPS.

Dwane Oliver
12-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Great , I'll be ordering me some of da Fiddy , on Friday. lol

busted knuckles
12-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Short update. of the three blades I quenched I've got two finished. I used my usual edge test and they performed around the same as a blade quenched in brine. remember, this is very preliminary but promising none the less. and I encountered no warpage or breakage. also got a nice hamon. I'll get some pics up.
Darrin, no problem I'll still send you a gal, I just got to get over to the PO, I've been busy.

Troop
12-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks, everyone, for posting the updates.
- Mitch

jkf96a
12-31-2010, 12:21 AM
I also have an update on the Duratherm G, their 10 second oil. I had previously been quenching 1080 in vet mineral oil, tempering at 425. I made a blade and quenched it in the duratherm G, tempered at 425, and it chipped a little. Looks like I can say that in this particular case, the duratherm g is faster and got better martensite conversion, so that I'll have to temper it at a higher temperature to get good performance.

busted knuckles
12-31-2010, 07:17 PM
Hey guys, I'd like to clarify a statement I made. when I said that I thought DT48 needs to be mechanically agitated what I meant was, I think it needs to be mechanically agitated in my quench tank. the quench tank I use holds about a gallon of oil, I've found this is too small to agitate to my satisfaction using oil. remember, I'm originally a brine quench guy with 1095. if I were to build say, a three gallon quench tank I could agitate better without using mechanical means. I hope this clarifies the issue a little.

Leatherface
12-31-2010, 08:30 PM
last nite while staring at myself in the mirror while shaving I had 2 separate but equally stunning epiphanies ....

1...I am a really really really really really really disturbingly good looking guy

2...for agitation all you really need is one of those wore out mixers that you find at yard sales etc...OR one of those mixers you see in wal mart should work really well and be pretty tuff and cost next to nothing

ARCustomKnives
01-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Hey guys,
I was looking for some Parks #50, and an online search lead me to this thread. I saw that Lee Neves at Maxim Oil might be carrying some, so I tracked down his email from his webpage and shot him a message. I have yet to hear from him after a few weeks however.

Has anyone else had trouble reaching him by email?

Thanks!

murphda2
01-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Look further up in the thread. There is a contact phone number for one of the ladies who works with Lee who is responsible for taking care of the orders.

ARCustomKnives
01-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Look further up in the thread. There is a contact phone number for one of the ladies who works with Lee who is responsible for taking care of the orders.

Wow... I completely missed that post! That's exactly what I needed. Thanks bud.

busted knuckles
01-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Sorry for the silence guys, I've been busy. I've now done five blades with the DT 48 and it seems to quench 1095 well. I just got my bucket of Park #50 and quenched some squares to send to Larry. there are three quenched in dt48 and three quenched in #50, so we'll see how they compare on the Rockwell tester. I haven't made a blade with the #50 yet so I cant compare edge retention but that will come soon.
Larry, the squares should be there on Tuesday or Wednesday. I sure appreciate your help with the Rockwell testing.

john smith
01-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the update
Lets see some photos of your five blades

L. McAlpine
01-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Sorry for the silence guys, I've been busy. I've now done five blades with the DT 48 and it seems to quench 1095 well. I just got my bucket of Park #50 and quenched some squares to send to Larry. there are three quenched in dt48 and three quenched in #50, so we'll see how they compare on the Rockwell tester. I haven't made a blade with the #50 yet so I cant compare edge retention but that will come soon.
Larry, the squares should be there on Tuesday or Wednesday. I sure appreciate your help with the Rockwell testing.

I'll give you the results as soon as possible after I get them.
Larry

L. McAlpine
01-20-2011, 03:57 PM

i received the squares yesterday and was able to test today, but I think I will have to do some sanding to try and get them a little flatter. I could see movement on some when testing and on some the results were way different on the same piece such as #6 which went from 32 to 65.5 HRC. I have some appointments to take care of today but I,ll try to get them done tonight or early tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.
Larry

ARCustomKnives
01-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Well, I pulled the trigger on some Parks 50 from Maxim Oil, and the FedEx man just dropped it off.
I've been looking for a distributor for this stuff for quite a while (one that would sell me LESS than 55 gallons of the stuff!), and so far I've only been able to find 2. Kelly Cupples (in Washington, IIRC) and Maxim Oil in Texas.

While I have no doubt that Kelly is a phenomenal guy to work with (I'm sure I've read dozens of positive reviews on various forums, and I can't recall a single negative review), the shipping costs were a little bit prohibitive from WA to IN, and to source it from him would have come in at just under $200.

After tax and freight, I believe I only ended up paying about $112 or so all together, and that's by far the cheapest I've seen 5 gallons of Parks 50 anywhere, including back when the stuff was a lot easier to source. Many of the prices exceeded that BEFORE shipping. So it definitely appears that Maxim isn't trying to make any money on this stuff.

As far as the transaction, the lady I spoke with was very friendly, and they shipped the oil out very fast. I ordered Tuesday morning and received it Friday morning, very well packaged and in tact.

My only (MINOR) complaints are that I sent 2 emails to Lee Neves via the address listed on their website over the course of about 2 weeks (12-17 then 12-28) and never received a reply. I also requested an email confirmation when I placed the order so that I would know that it shipped. I was told it would not be a problem, but I never received that either.

Overall, it's not a big deal, as I was able to get the info I needed from members of this forum, and I saved a considerable amount of money while getting the quench oil I wanted. So all in all, Maxim Oil will definitely get my recommendation AND return business should I need any more quenchants in their supply.

L. McAlpine
01-21-2011, 02:53 PM
I finished resanding the pieces sent to me by "busted knuckles" and retested them. The results came out pretty close to the same as before, but I think I can see why. After sanding to 800 I can see shadows in the steel, like a cloud or hamon. I don't know how it happened but I drew a line around the "cloud"and then tested inside and outside the cloud and here are the results. This is for #6 on your list busted knuckles which was the piece quenched in parks 50 and not tempered---- inside the cloud=39.5,43.7,& 32.6 HRC. Outside the cloud=65.75,64.9, & 64 HRC. The rest of the results are as follows---
1.quenched at 1500 in dt48 & drawn at 350 FOR 1 hr=HRC 62.7, 63.5, 63.5
2.quenched at 1500 in dt48 & drawn at 350 FOR 1 hr=HRC 61, 62, 63, 63.25
3.quenched at 1500 in dt48 & not drawn =HRC 67.5,67.5,67.5
4.quenched at 1500 in p50 & drawn at 350 FOR 1 hr=HRC 63.1,63,63
5.quenched at 1500 in p50 & drawn at 350 FOR 1 hr=HRC 62.9,62.75,62.1,61.9
6.quenched at 1500 in p50 & not drawn =HRC 39.5,32.6,43.7,64,64.9,65.75
Just so you know i also tested my machine ,before and after doing your plates, with the test plate that came with it which is HRC 61.7 and my results were always 62 HRC. so pretty close.
Any if you would like to retest some more plates I'd be happy to test them for you again. If you'd like I can send these back to you or try to get some pictures if that would help,just let me know.

Larry

john smith
01-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Question for busted knuckles and Larry?
in post number 47 busted knuckles you mentioned that you quenched
3 squares in the DT48 and 3 squares in the parks 50. But when Larry tested the squares
he mentions 4 quenches in DT48 and only 2 in the parks!
I am just wondering if one was marked wrong.
I do think the rockwell phase of this testing for both of quenches turn out some pretty consistent numbers.
I want to thank both of you guys for taking the time to help all of us out, your time is greatly appreciated.

L. McAlpine
01-21-2011, 10:51 PM
John,
in the body of the note I said that #6 used parks 50 but in the list I added #6 again and forgot to change the dt48 to p50 as I copied and pasted the first part of them all. Thanks for catching that. I think your correct that most of them are pretty consistent except for #6.
I corrected the previous post of mine

busted knuckles
02-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Hey guys, I just got back from California. thanks Larry for doing that, don't worry about the squares just trash 'em. good results on the RC tester. since I've been gone I haven't been able to do a blade with the 50 yet so I cant give a comparison on hamon development or edge retention, but I will soon.it seems clear that we are able to achieve similar hardness with these oils.more to come.

busted knuckles
02-01-2011, 11:02 PM
here's a couple of blades I did in the DT48. sorry the hamon on the tanto and the bowie doesn't show that well on these pics.

McClellan Made Blades
02-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Just wanted to check and see if there has been any word on Maxim's quench oil, has anyone heard from Lee? I guess I'll have to break down and buy some
Parks 50...., GOD that'll kill me!!! But my quench is getting low, and I will have to replenish it soon....Rex