PDA

View Full Version : 10 November 1775

Les George
11-07-2010, 01:58 PM
It's about that time again Marines, Happy Birthday! :)

This year's birthday message:

R 021634Z NOV 10
UNCLASSIFIED//
ALMAR 041/10
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC DMCS//
SUBJ/UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY MESSAGE - 10 NOVEMBER 2010//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/

1. SIXTY YEARS AGO, THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS - AS IT HAS THROUGHOUT OUR HISTORY - DEMONSTRATED ITS VITAL ROLE AS AMERICA'S EXPEDITIONARY FORCE IN READINESS. JUST WEEKS AFTER NORTH KOREAN COMMUNIST FORCES CROSSED THE 38TH PARALLEL, THE FIRST MARINE PROVISIONAL BRIGADE LANDED IN SOUTH KOREA, FORMING THE BACKBONE OF THE PERIMETER AROUND THE CITY OF PUSAN. THE EFFORTS OF THE "FIRE BRIGADE" AT PUSAN ALLOWED FOR THE DARING AMPHIBIOUS LANDING AT INCHON AND SET THE STAGE FOR ONE OF THE MOST SAVAGE CAMPAIGNS IN OUR CORPS' HISTORY - THE CHOSIN RESERVOIR. AS WE PAUSE TO CELEBRATE OUR 235TH BIRTHDAY, WE PAY SPECIAL TRIBUTE TO THE MARINES OF THE KOREAN WAR AND RECOGNIZE THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS TO OUR ENDURING LEGACY.
2. THIS PAST YEAR MARKED THE END OF MARINE CORPS COMBAT OPERATIONS IN IRAQ. BEGINNING WITH THE INVASION IN MARCH 2003 AND THROUGH THE NEXT SEVEN YEARS OF FIGHTING, OUR CORPS ACQUITTED ITSELF VALIANTLY IN THE ANBAR PROVINCE AND THROUGHOUT THE COUNTRY. LOCATIONS SUCH AS FALLUJAH AND RAMADI HAVE TAKEN THEIR PLACE IN THE ILLUSTRIOUS BATTLE HISTORY OF OUR CORPS. OUR EFFORTS IN DEFEATING THE INSURGENCY HELPED TO BUILD A BRIGHTER FUTURE FOR ALL IRAQIS.
3. FOR 235 YEARS, AT SEA AND ASHORE, MARINES HAVE SUCCEEDED IN EVERY CLIME AND PLACE ... WHERE HARDSHIP AND ADVERSITY HAVE OFTEN BEEN THE COMMON THREAD. TODAY, IN THE RUGGED MOUNTAINS AND VALLEYS OF AFGHANISTAN - AND RECENTLY IN EARTHQUAKE-DAMAGED HAITI ... IN FLOOD-RAVAGED PAKISTAN ... OR OFF THE COAST OF AFRICA - WE CONTINUE TO PROTECT OUR NATION, JUST AS WE DID 60 YEARS AGO IN KOREA.
4. TO THE MARINES AND SAILORS DEPLOYED OVERSEAS, TO THOSE TRAINING AND PREPARING FOR THEIR NEXT DEPLOYMENT AND TO THE WARRIORS WHO NO LONGER WEAR OUR UNIFORM ... WE HONOR YOUR SELFLESS SERVICE TO THE NATION. TO OUR LOVED ONES WHO ENDURE THE MANY DIFFICULTIES THAT COME WITH BEING PART OF THE MARINE FAMILY, I WANT TO EXTEND MY SINCEREST THANKS FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE AND ALL YOU CONTINUE TO DO.
5. HAPPY 235TH BIRTHDAY, MARINES. JAMES F. AMOS, GENERAL, U.S. MARINE CORPS, COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS.//

murphda2
11-07-2010, 02:21 PM
235 years of honor and courageous service to our nation. Happy Birthday Marines.

Denny Eller
11-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Amen, General Amos. Semper Fi, Les, and the same to all the other leathernecks out there. God Bless the Marine Corps!

Gary B
11-07-2010, 08:21 PM
What Denny said X 2. Happy Birthday Marines:clap::clap:

Les George
11-10-2010, 06:12 AM
Happy Birthday Marines! :)

Well I am probably the youngest, who's the oldest?

Denny Eller
11-10-2010, 09:42 AM
I'm 62 Les but I know Wayne Coe has me beat and I think Gary Bradburn does, too. Happy Birthday Chesty, wherever you are.

Gary B
11-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Hey Denny. I have you beat for sure. I am 65 going on 90. At least that's how it feels some times.

Happy Birthday Kids! :s11041:

John Barker
11-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Happy Birthday Devil Dogs! I'm 37. Les is younger than me.
-John

Les George
11-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Dang John I didnt know you where THAT old! :)

John Barker
11-10-2010, 02:45 PM
I know. I look good for my age. That shaved head thing works in my favor. Hippie.
-John

Les George
11-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Hey Denny. I have you beat for sure. I am 65 going on 90. At least that's how it feels some times.

Happy Birthday Kids! :s11041:

I just realized that I have now know you half my life! :)

Gary B
11-10-2010, 06:56 PM
How about that? And turned out pretty good anyway.:biggrin:
I just realized that I have now know you half my life! :)

Mike Carter
11-10-2010, 09:52 PM
In 1805, Marines assembled a fleet to Derna, Tripoli to put down Barbary Coast pirates taking a toll on American merchant ships in the Mediterranean. Lieutenant Presley O'Bannon ("The Hero of the Derne") and his Marines marched across 600 miles of North Africa's Libyan desert to successfully storm the fortified Tripolitan city of Derna. Lt O'Bannon was the first person to plant an American flag in foreign soil on April 27, 1805.

A desert chieftain presented Marine Lieutenant O'Bannon with a scimitar to show his appreciation. The scimitar was used by Mameluke warriors of North Africa. By 1825, all Marine officers were mandated to wear the Mameluke sword. Except for the period from 1859 to 1875, commissioned Marine officers have carried the Mameluke sword.

http://www.cartertown.com/images/Knives/Swords/mameluke.jpg

O'bannon was promoted to Captain and served in the Marines until March 6, 1807, when he resigned and moved to Kentucky. He later served in the Kentucky State Legislature. Today, he is remembered by the words "to the shores of Tripoli" being a part of the Marine Corps Official Song, and his Mameluke sword, presented to him by Hamet, has become a standard for Marine Officers since 1825. In addition, the United States Navy has named in its history three destroyers after him (DD-177, DD-450, and DD-987).

O'bannon is buried in Frankfort, KY.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/findagrave/photos/2001/222/obannoncharles2.jpg

Les George
11-13-2010, 09:10 AM
How about that? And turned out pretty good anyway.:biggrin:

I was gone most of those years though... ;)

Les George
11-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Mike, that's cool. Never knew what he did post Corps :)

Denny Eller
11-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks, Mike, it is always good to hear "the rest of the story". I had no idea he was buried in Frankfort.

Mike Carter
11-13-2010, 12:42 PM
He is buried in the Frankfort Cemetery along with Daniel Boone and 17 Ky Governors.

Les George
11-09-2011, 07:48 PM
It dang near caught me off guard this year!

A BIRTHDAY MESSAGE FROM THE COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS

For ten years now, our Corps has been engaged in continuous combat operations against those who threaten the security of America and our allies. We turned the tide in the Anbar province of Iraq and continue to see success today in southwest Afghanistan. While it has come at a cost.. . we have much to be proud of. This past year in operations around the world including humanitarian disaster relief, counter-piracy, theater security cooperation, special operations, counter-insurgency and many more, you continued to solidify our place as America's Expeditionary Force in Readiness. Since the Continental Congress created two battalions of Marines 236 years ago, our legacy as an ever-ready, ever capable, victory producing organization remains intact. Our rich heritage of selfless service and fidelity to Nation and to one another lives on in all who currently wear the Eagle, Globe and Anchor - those who have answered the clarion call to duty with remarkable courage, dedication and unshakable resolve that Marines are so well known for. To all Marines - past and present - and especially to our families ... I extend my deep gratitude for all you have done and all you continue to do.
As we celebrate our 236th birthday, let us look forward to future challenges whatever they may be - and reaffirm our pledge to be America's premier crisis response force; to be the first to fight. .. Always ready for the toughest and most challenging assignments.
Happy 236th Birthday, Marines!

Semper Fidelis,
http://www.mclwestchester.org/portals/0/member_images/GenJamesAmosSig.jpg
James F. Amos
General, U.S. Marine Corps

murphda2
11-09-2011, 08:46 PM
From a brother-in-arms to another family of brothers and sisters-in-arms, Happy Birthday Marines. It's been a pleasure razzing all of you at every given opportunity (and receiving the same razzing in return). I'm damn glad to know we stand side by side defending the same flag.

Gary B
11-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Happy Birthday Marines!! Semper Fi.

Les George
11-10-2011, 05:20 AM
Happy Birthday Marines!

Bill T
11-10-2011, 05:53 AM
Happy Birthday Marines !!!!!!

Steven Janik
11-10-2011, 07:18 AM
235 years of Honor, Integrity, and Muscle. I'm proud to know so many Marines.

Les George
11-10-2011, 07:31 AM
235 years of Honor, Integrity, and Muscle. I'm proud to know so many Marines.

2011-1775=236 years...

How does it feel to have a Marine correct your math, Mr Janik?

:):):)

Steven Janik
11-10-2011, 07:48 AM
I never said I was smart, just good looking!!!:biggrin:

Denny Eller
11-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Happy 236th Birthday Marines. God Bless you Chesty, wherever you are!

John Barker
11-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Happy Birthday Devil Dogs!
-John