PDA

View Full Version : Servicemember Knife Build "Recruiting Drive"

Pages : [1] 2

murphda2
10-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Well for those of you who haven't followed the poll, a design has been chosen for the build. I'm very honored that my design was chosen for this. Tomorrow I will be adding a new drawing to this thread to better show the design. All angles, curves, and dimensions will be the same. I'm just going to clean it up a bit with finer lines.

Justin King had the vision to start this project and I have been throwing as much assistance as possible his way. The support that has been offered in the form of supplies and expense sharing has been absolutely AWESOME. On behalf of my fellow servicemembers I want to say "Thank You" to all who have offered to help. I would like to encourage all Knife Dogs to continue to support this effort in hopes that we may continue to drive it until it is no longer needed.

Now we start the next step in the process, recruiting makers to build these knives. I want to encourage all members who feel confident that they can complete the project to participate. The vision for this project is to put each knife made into the hands of a servicemember who is either in a hostile environment or in the process of heading into harms way.

Design as sent to Dave

My concept drawing
Now the question is......... Who's in?

(I have added the names from Justin's original thread)

1. Bill T.**
2. Rodney J.*!
3. Big Smitty/Possum Knifeworks**!
4. Randy Haas/HHH knives**!
5. Murphda2**
6. Nowicki*
7. Denny Eller**
8. Steve Janik**
9. Cal Harkins**
10. Justin King**
11. Carey Quinn**
12. Jerry Bond**
13. Gahagan**
14. Rudy Joly**
15. Les George**
16. Bill Coye**
17. SBuzek**!
18. Rusty McDonald**
19. Dave Curtis (GLWJ/CK)**
20. Iron Wolf
21. Josh Dabney**
22. Whiteeugene
23. G. Shahan**!
24. maxcutter03**
25. Doc Shiffer**
26. John Barker*
27. Mike Carter**!
28. Tune Up

Les George
10-24-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm in

murphda2
10-24-2010, 09:48 PM
Thank you Les.

Bill Coye
10-24-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm in.

SBuzek
10-24-2010, 10:44 PM
I'm in
Stan

Rusty McDonald
10-24-2010, 11:51 PM
I've got plenty of Time on my hands I guess I can

Curtiss Knives
10-25-2010, 04:00 AM
I'm building one too.

Gahagan
10-25-2010, 05:07 AM
Im in

maxcutter03
10-25-2010, 05:08 AM
Whats the deadline?

Josh Dabney
10-25-2010, 06:00 AM
Justin, Murph, I'm in.

I'll need some heat treat specs from someone experienced with A2 and a Service member to give the knife to.

-Josh

murphda2
10-25-2010, 01:04 PM
List has been updated. Thank you gentlemen.

The deadline for this project has not yet been established. I still have some e-mails out to in attempt to finish co-ordinating the details.

Bill T
10-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Looks like Aldo should send Dave some more A2 !!! All the Dogs are coming out to play !!!!!!

Justin King
10-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Justin, Murph, I'm in.

I'll need some heat treat specs from someone experienced with A2 and a Service member to give the knife to.

-Josh

We may have all the blades professionally HT'd, to insure some consistency. Whether we can get this done as a contribution, or will have to pay for it, remains to be seen. There are some details which are still up in the air at this time. There have been some offers for cash contrubutions already and although we have not accepted any yet, we may have to at some point.

Thanks to all of you who have stepped up, it warms my heart to see it.

murphda2
10-25-2010, 01:33 PM
One concern for this build is insuring that we have consistant heat treating of all blades for the project. I have been in touch with Brad at Peter's Heat Treat and he has graciously offered to heat treat all of the blades for this project free of charge. Thank you Brad. You are very gracious, sir.

Justin King
10-25-2010, 01:48 PM
:35: Huge round of applause for Brad, as well as our other sponsors. :35:
Thank you very much, guys.

whiteeugene
10-25-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm in
What are we going to do about sheaths?

Rudy Joly
10-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Are we grinding after HT or sending them back and forth for finishing ?

Rudy

Justin King
10-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Big Smitty was going to talk to someone about getting some Spec-Ops sheaths donated. I had tenatively planned to do a kydex rig for mine if all nothing else but I know not everyone will be able to do this. I could probably do sheaths for a few others but as Rudy has alluded to, the shipping issue could really start to bite us here. Suggestions are welcome.

Justin King
10-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Are we grinding after HT or sending them back and forth for finishing ?

Rudy

A2 is really fun to play with when annealed, not so much after HT. One of it's big advantages IMO is that it is HT'd in foil and usually quenched so as to have minimal warpage, so you can grind really close before HT. Personally, I would rather eat the cost of shipping to the heat treater myself than deal with grinding bevels after HT, but we have not really discussed this issue yet. As I said earlier, we have had offers for financial contributions but I am not accepting them at this time because I am not comfortable holding peoples money without a clear and immediate need for it. I am hoping that these contributors will step up when the shipping issue comes to the fore.

whiteeugene
10-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Big Smitty was going to talk to someone about getting some Spec-Ops sheaths donated. I had tenatively planned to do a kydex rig for mine if all nothing else but I know not everyone will be able to do this. I could probably do sheaths for a few others but as Rudy has alluded to, the shipping issue could really start to bite us here. Suggestions are welcome.

So if we are setup to do Kidex then we can do our own as long as we follow the general rule as to the color and connection points.
Also what about marking are we going to use a KnifeDogs.com mark on the presentation side and let the maker mark the other side or Vice-versa?

G. Shahan
10-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Hey Murph, and Justin,

Sign me up. I would be glad to pay for all my materials, heat treat and shipping. I'll pay for a kydex sheath. I have no clue or experience with kydex. And I'll need a time frame.

Greg

murphda2
10-25-2010, 04:06 PM
I have made recommendations as to what "I" feel is best. This was my opinion. If you are making a knife for this project, the decisions as to what you do should be yours. If you want the knife you make to have a black sheath, make a black sheath. I don't want anyone to feel as though they should allow my opinion to dictate how the knife or sheath is built. If you bend kydex and all you have on hand is "black", build a black sheath. The servicemember who receives your knife is going to be estatic regardless.

For those interested, I have posted a pic of the final design which is heading to Dave. In an attempt to allow a little more room for interpretation and creativity, I added a tiny bit to the width of the blade to give you a little more room to play with. I also posted a concept drawing of what my knife will hopefully look like.

Gahagan
10-25-2010, 04:10 PM
For those interested, I have posted a pic of the final design which is heading to Dave. In an attempt to allow a little more room for interpretation and creativity, I added a tiny bit to the width of the blade to give you a little more room to play with. I also posted a concept drawing of what my knife will hopefully look like.

Where did you post this? I would like to take a look.

Never mind I found it!

Gahagan
10-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Question? I know you have desighned it a certain way but can we change it a little to accomidate our own twist on things or are these to be all the same? I am talking about gind lines and handle texture. I was thinking about putting some thumb grip along the top aswell. Is this cool or should I not have asked? I dont want to step out of line.

Justin King
10-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Also what about marking are we going to use a KnifeDogs.com mark on the presentation side and let the maker mark the other side or Vice-versa?

Murph and I talked about this but have not reached a conclusion yet about a logo for the build. In any event it makes little sense to me to have a stencil for every maker, but they can be mailed in a letter envelope so I suppose we could pass them around without too much shipping cost. We may have makers who are not set up to etch, though.

Justin King
10-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Question? I know you have desighned it a certain way but can we change it a little to accomidate our own twist on things or are these to be all the same? I am talking about gind lines and handle texture. I was thinking about putting some thumb grip along the top aswell. Is this cool or should I not have asked? I dont want to step out of line.

The details are up to the individual maker, feel free to put your own style on it, keeping in mind it's end use.

murphda2
10-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Question? I know you have desighned it a certain way but can we change it a little to accomidate our own twist on things or are these to be all the same?

Not to be too redundant, but the blank is your canvas. How you grind it or modify it is up to you, but as Justin stated, keep in mid its end use. All that we ask is that you keep it practical for "Joe". As for the jimping on the spine, I think alot of us will be adding that, but I wanted it to be open to each maker's style.

Gahagan
10-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks. I was just looking at it and wanted to incorporate some of the stuff requested by the SF group I am making some knives for. I figured They know what is needed in a knife now. It has been so long since I used a knife in Combat.

maxcutter03
10-25-2010, 05:28 PM
I am all over this!!! Count me in!!! This will be fun as well as supporting our troups.

BossDog
10-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Good timing. I have some KnifeDogs logo stencils on order if you want to it. That is entirely up to you all.

murphda2
10-25-2010, 07:51 PM
I think that would look great Boss.

BruceM
10-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Murph,
I'm happy to donate some handle material, carbon fiber, black canvas micarta, brown paper base micarta. Let me know if I can help.
Bruce

murphda2
10-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks Bruce!

Big Smitty
10-25-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm in.

Dwane Oliver
10-25-2010, 09:08 PM
What is the deadline for the builds , I have a few Christmas orders and still have to put my shop together. I would be in for building one or two if its in Jan.

I have a block of Green Canvas Micarta 14" X 18" X 2.5" thick. I will cut it and send it to people if they want to use it on these knives.

Big Smitty
10-25-2010, 09:13 PM
I am just catching up on the thread. I will work on the Spec Ops sheaths tomorrow and advise. Murph can you let me know how many sheaths we may need. I can make the initial contact and then let them know. If memory serve me correctly, we got 25 sheaths donated last time. We'll see if they can help us again, they were very gracious last time.

RodneyJ
10-25-2010, 09:26 PM
This is awesome, I just got new belts and im ready to grind also if we decide to go with the knife dogs logo I am set up to etch.
Thanks to all for your support of our trops
God Bless
Roney

calharkins
10-26-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm in. Love to help the troops. I have micarta, kydex, and corby fasteners. I got tek lok ordered from the Boss so I should be set.

murphda2
10-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Thank you Cal. We had already pulled your name in from the other thread I guess. It was either that, or you were drafted and just hadn't received you notification yet.

Big Smitty
10-27-2010, 08:39 AM
I have an email out this morning to Spec Ops to see what they may be willing to do to help us with some Combat Master sheaths :cool:. As soon as I hear, I'll let ya'll know.

Justin King
10-27-2010, 06:50 PM
I have an email out this morning to Spec Ops to see what they may be willing to do to help us with some Combat Master sheaths :cool:. As soon as I hear, I'll let ya'll know.
We might want to do a count and see who needs one, it sounds like at least a few guys are planning on making kydex rigs.

Bill T
10-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Justin , I think we might want all the sheaths Big Smitty can get . We have many guys who want to make more than one knife . Even if they don't get used in this batch , they're sure to get used in the next .

UncleBillyKnives
10-27-2010, 08:07 PM
I have some A-2. what thickness and width are you thinking about?

UncleBilly

murphda2
10-27-2010, 08:15 PM
We're going to be working with 3/16" for this build UncleBilly. The blanks will be approximately 2" from widest points (thumb ramp and bottom of tang).

Denny Eller
10-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Murph, I'm getting more and more excited about this project!!!!

murphda2
10-27-2010, 08:49 PM
I think we all are Denny. Bill T. has been instrumental in planning the logistics of the build and we have spoken and/or messaged one another just about every day for the past week.

John Barker
10-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Is it too late too get in on this?
-John

murphda2
10-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Not for you John. We'd be honored to have you in on this.

murphda2
10-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Bill T. has graciously offered to handle the logistics of the build. With that being said, I need for all of our makers to please message Bill with your contact and shipping information so that he has it on hand for when we get everything put together.

Thank you guys.

Bill T
10-28-2010, 10:54 AM
After I get home from work tonight and go over a few more things, I'll post " The Plan " . I think Murph and I have most of the details worked out pretty good,and everyone will be happy with what we came up with. Thanks, Bill

Bill T
10-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Ok Guys , Here's " The Plan " . I'm gonna try to show all the moves that need to be made :
1) Aldo sends steel to Dave -Aldo has donated the steel and paid the postage to ship it .
2) Dave cuts out all the blanks and sends them to me . Reason - he shouldn't send them to each person , He's doing enough with the cutting and he's also making a knife . His shipping will be around $20 to get them to me .
3) Boss ships micarta (which he is supplying ) , bolts and lanyard tube ( that I am supplying ) to me .
4) I ship to each maker 1 blank w/ micarta, bolts and lanyard tube . Cost - around $140 - $150 w/tracking .
5) Makers grind their blanks and send them to Brad at Peter's Heat Treating - By The Deadline ( to be announced ) . Yes , we want them ground first , then Professionaly HT'ed .
6) Brad then ships all blades to me . Reason - He's doing enough w/heat treat . I think it cost $1000 just to turn on his equipment . Again , cost to ship to me , aroung $20 .
7) I send HT'ed blades to makers . Again the shipping $140 - $150 .
8) Makers finish blades and send them to ( to be announced ) for Knife Dog stencil , then Dispersal to Lucky Soldier .
Some key things to remember , each person who signed up has to pay his own shipping to Brad and to the final person , around $10 total .
Also , before your blades get sent to Brad , you MUST dremel your name and your # (the list # in this thread) on the tang so I know which one is yours . I can't stress that enough .
There's a couple of reasons to have someone other than Dave and Brad do the shipping . But by far the best is this - I'm a mailman - If I get the stuff shipped to me at work , I can do it all there . No trips to the PO , no hassles with the material , everything is there . It just makes sense .
Having the last person put on the stencil makes sense too . This way we only need 1 stencil as opposed to 1 for every maker .
We just need to raise around $300 to pay for the shipping to each person . I'm soliciting my co-workers on Monday for donations . I can probably get at least $100 , if not a little more from them .
If Big Smitty can get sheaths , I'm gonna ask if he would like to have me pass them out to whoever needs one . It'll save alot again on shipping .
Also , if you have offered material to help in the build , I'll offer the same . You can ship to me , and I'll randomly mix in your stuff . Or you can pick someone on the list and sent it to them . Either way , what you're offering will get used .
At this time , we plan on 1 knife per maker . There are a couple reasons , but the most important is we want to keep this 1st one simple so we can work out the kinks for next time .
Yes , I said next time . Since we now have our own forum for this , ( Thanks again , Boss ) , We plan in some manner , to have this as an ongoing thing . But we have to get through this one first .
I know we're heading to the holiday season , so we'll try to be realistic with all deadlines . But by the same token , please do the same for this Build , be realistic . If you find you need help , or something has happened to keep you from completing your blade , lets us know . We will do all we can , and you will not be left behind ....

Justin King
10-28-2010, 06:24 PM
I want to thank you for taking on such a monumental task, Bill. It sounds like you have thought of pretty much everything. If you need help with anything please let me know, I can contribute to the shipping costs when the time comes.
This has become a much bigger effort than I had imagined, my most sincere thanks to everyone who has brought it here.

Bill T
10-28-2010, 06:31 PM
I also want to Thank You , Justin . Without you , this would not have happened . You got the ball rolling , and we now have over 25 makers on board and our own Forum !! Thanks , Bill

UncleBillyKnives
10-28-2010, 08:12 PM
We're going to be working with 3/16" for this build UncleBilly. The blanks will be approximately 2" from widest points (thumb ramp and bottom of tang).

Sorry Murph, I have 1/8" and 1/4" but no 3/16". If I did, it you be yours for the build. I would like to build one but I dont think my skill set is there yet. It will be fun to watch it come together.

UncleBilly

BossDog
10-28-2010, 08:39 PM
The scales I will be kicking in will be the mcam g10 I just had made.
It is the g10 on this knife (not the back ground material which is 1/8" digital g10)

murphda2
10-28-2010, 08:40 PM
I've never worked A2, but if I like it, I may get in touch and offer to buy some from you if you have a surplus.

murphda2
10-28-2010, 08:41 PM
That's some cool lookin stuff Boss and adds yet another level of "KD Custom" to the project. I have a PM incoming in a few.

Big Smitty
10-28-2010, 09:11 PM
No news on the sheaths yet. I will follow up tomorrow. If we get some help from Spec Ops we will get the sheaths to Bill T. His plan sound good!

Denny Eller
10-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Bill, you must have put a lot of work into your plan because it's an excellent one. It should make this a fairly smooth running project. I'm a newby maker and it's good to know there is support out there if I run into a prob............an opportunity. I had a meeting with my VA counselor this a.m. and told him what we were doing. I swear I saw a tear come to his eye.

Boss, that mcam G10 looks great.

BossDog
10-29-2010, 04:15 PM
KnifeDogs charity fund will kick in $100 towards shipping expenses. This is a good cause... When the funds are needed, send me a PM and I will send you a Gunpal or PayPal for a $100...

Bill T
10-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Thank You Tracy !! That Mcam is really gonna look Awesome on these knives !! And Thank You for ALL the support you've shown this project !!!

Curtiss Knives
10-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Talked with Aldo and he is sending the other A-2 to me now.

murphda2
10-29-2010, 05:43 PM
I want to thank everyone who has offered to donate thier time to build a knife for this project and/or offered materials for the build. At this time I am going to close this at 26 builds so that we may push forward on our planning process. If new guys decide that they would like to participate, please feel free to contact me and we will put you on a list for future projects. It is our desire to do another build project in the not too distant future.

BruceM
10-30-2010, 08:58 AM
I can't wait to see the knives that get built for these guys and gals. I'm going to help on the shipping fund too.

Bill T
10-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Hey Dogs , Just to let you all know , things are shaping up nicely .
I want to thank everyone for making this as easy on me as possible . You are a great bunch of guys .
Just to point out what the Basic , Build Knife Pack will have .
1) A2 Blank of Murph's design .
2) 1 pair of Boss's EXCLUSIVE Mcam G10 scales 1/4" thick .
3) 1 pair of stainless 1/4" Corbys ( I know originally 1/8 was specified but that was changed )
4) 1 piece stainless 1/4 tube 1 1/2" long .
BUT , because there are additional supplies coming in from some of our Very Generous members , there will be some additional choices . We'll figure out a way to give everyone a shot at them before the final mailing .
Thanks , Bill

Curtiss Knives
10-30-2010, 04:02 PM
12 knife blanks cut today. I'll cut the rest as material shows.

BossDog
10-30-2010, 04:50 PM
30 sets of scales cut just now..

Nowicki
10-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Sorry I'm a little late but yes I'm in and ready to go

Denny Eller
10-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Dave and Boss, that means the wheels have begun to turn on this knife making machine Justin and Bill and Murph have put together (and everyone else involved)!!! I am so looking forward to the build because this have given me the direction I needed to support our men and women serving our country. I have always wanted to help but it took a few good men to show me how. Let's do this thang.

Big Smitty
11-01-2010, 11:10 AM
I just recieved confirmation that we have the full support of Spec Ops for some Combat Master Sheaths, Hu Ra! They will be sent to Bill T for distribution. The guys at Spec Ops ROCK! Check them out on line at www.specopsbrand.com , great gear that is made to last!

Curtiss Knives
11-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Way to go Paul. Jeff comes through again! Spec-ops is awesome. I would highly recommend everyone to write Jeff a letter of appreciation. Jeff Wemmer, President & Chief Designer
e-mail: jeff.wemmer@specopsbrand.com

Big Smitty
11-01-2010, 05:17 PM
I recieved Bill T's address just a little while ago and have sent it on to Jeff at Spec Ops. The sheaths will be sent directly to Bill T, I asked for 25. As David has asked above, we should all try to drop him a note thanking him for his generocity. Jeff is a squared away guy who has always been willing to help. Anything we can do to support him and his company would be appreciated!

BossDog
11-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Spec Ops=good outfit. I just today got my dealer application approved. I'll be carrying SpecOps sheaths (and other cool stuff) when I can get some time to put together an initial order.

murphda2
11-01-2010, 06:41 PM
For those of you who have not used SpecOps gear, it's great stuff at a great price. Prior to my first vacation across the pond to that big litterbox, I did a little research on various brands and ended buying some of the SpecOps pouches for my kit. Long story short, six years later I'm still carrying them. Of course, I've added alot more to my personal inventory, but the first few I purchased are still on my pack today.

I will deffinitely send Jeff an e-mail to express my gratitude for the generous donation.

Les George
11-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Spec-ops is awesome gear!

Curtiss Knives
11-03-2010, 03:42 PM
I have 28 knife blanks cut right now! How many do we need total?

Mike Carter
11-03-2010, 04:01 PM
I am late ot the party but if there is room for one more count me in.

Bill T
11-03-2010, 04:34 PM
I got you down Mike. Please PM me your address ,and please make sure you read post #51 of this thread for the plan! Thanks, Bill

Justin King
11-03-2010, 08:57 PM
I have 28 knife blanks cut right now! How many do we need total?
27 makers on the list... I want to thank you for your generosity, Dave. You and Aldo made the scale of this possible between the two of you, and you deserve much of the credit for this effort as a whole. My idea did not reach this far on it's own.

Bill T
11-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Actually , Due to Aldos' and Daves' Generosity , and our makers' willingness , we have a commitment of around 40 blades .
I would like to wait for Aldos' last bar to make it to Dave , so he can save on shipping .
There are other things still to arrive as well . All will be in readiness within a week or less , I'm sure .
I'm ready on this end , and I will post the day I receive things and the day I ship everything at once .
Please be patient , this is going real well so far . Thanks , Bill

murphda2
11-03-2010, 10:11 PM
To update everything:

First of all, I want to thank Bill T., he has been working his butt of on getting things organized on this.

As previously mentioned, we are calculating approximately 40 blades cut from the steel that Aldo has so graciously donated. Dave has been working on these as the steel comes in. We weren't sure if the two sheets of steel were going to be enough to cover all of the original 26 blades, so Bill contacted Aldo and asked for the third sheet which he had set aside for us. It looks as though we will now have enough blanks to cover the additional ones requested by the personnel who asked to build more than one knife.

In a very short period of time, we have accumulated a vast amount of materials through the donations of our gracious members and SpecOps. According to my rough calculations, we have received somewhere between $2,500-3,000 in donations of materials, services, and monetary donations thus far (this does not consider the eforts of our builders).

Please be patient as we accumulate the goodies for this. Good things are coming in the not so very distant future.

Curtiss Knives
11-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Guys, all the material is cut! 44 blades!!! That is it and they are shipping in the morning. Thank Aldo for his material and quick shipping!

Bill T
11-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Thank You ALDO !!!!!!!!!! And Thank You , too , Dave !!!!!!!!!!

Big Smitty
11-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Dave and Aldo Rock! Bring on the blanks! We got some grind'in to do!

Bill T
11-06-2010, 09:33 PM
No blanks yet , but I'm sure they'll be here on Monday .
So sure , that even though I'm off this Monday , I'm still going in early .
My Wife Beth , is also a Carrier , and will be going in early with me to give a hand .
I have all the envelopes and labels ready . Of course our printer died 3 days ago , so I wrote them out .
The clerks all have been told what I am doing and are going to take care of everything once it's all packaged up . Everything will be out on the 1st truck of the day .

Again - A Big Thanks to the People making this possible . Our Generous Donors on one side , and our Generous Makers on the other .

Justin King
11-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks are deserved all the way around but I want to express again my appreciation to those who have put themselves forward to get this going. It is really cool to see this coming together.

Dcfolders
11-07-2010, 06:51 PM
I know I am to late for this build, but put on the lisr for the next one. In the past I sent a couple of folders overseas with troops. If you can get the knives to the troops before they ship out. There is no shipping or customs. Hope the info helps.

BruceM
11-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Thank you Aldo and Dave, you guys are awesome! :35: A big Thank you to our makers too!:35:

Gahagan
11-11-2010, 06:36 PM
When are we starting? I am ready to get my build on!

murphda2
11-11-2010, 07:12 PM
The blanks were received by Bill yesterday and should be going out in the next few days. We are still waiting on a few things, but Bill is going to go ahead and get the blanks sent out as soon as his schedule permits and then follow up with all of the accessories (corbies, handle materials, sheaths) when the blades are mailed back to everyone after HT.

Ironwolf
11-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Man...
I have never seen,much less had the incredible honour to be a (very small) part of such an incredible collaboration...
the sheer scope of this blows me away.
I don't even have the words to express my appreciation for what everyone has put into this undertaking,
and all I can offer is "Thank You" for involving me.
KnifeDogs rule,and Long May You Howl...

Bill T
11-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Hey Guys , sorry no Update from me , but Murph covered it . Got a show this weekend , so been real busy . Got the blanks on Wed , shooting for a Monday mailing . Thanks , Bill

Bill T
11-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Oh yeah , I got a nice box of goodies from Bruce M today with some real nice handle material and some help on the shipping , Thanks again Bruce , it'll really help !

Mike Carter
11-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Do we know what branch of the military these will be going to?

murphda2
11-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Mike, I have all kinds of connections in the Army and could orobably put 3,000+ knives in the hands of Army personnel heading down range tomorrow if I had them on hand to give. I have been putting out feelers with personnel in other branches as well. If anyone has a friend/relative heading that way or already there, feel free to contact me with thier info and we'll do our best to make it happen.

Bill T
11-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Ok Guys , Here's what's going on , I'm mailing out the blanks tomorrow .
There are a few who are taking more than 1 blank , so let me tell who's getting how many .
They are :
Bill T-2
Randy Haas-5
Murph-3
Justin King-2
Jerry Bond-5
Gahagan-3
Rudy Joly-2
Les George-2
Everyone else , except those who aren't grinding their own blade , are getting 1 .
Now I only have 34 sets of handle material and 30 pairs of rivets , so we need a few more . If you can supply rivets and/or handle material , please PM me .
I want each maker to make their 1st knife with the rivets and McamG10 . It's the extra blades that need additional material . If we can't get that , some of the extra blades that are going out may only get ground and heat treated , at this time. We only have 25 sheaths coming , so the guys who wanted to make a Kydex sheath for their knife , please do so .
The main focus is to get the 28 knives ; 1 from each maker who signed up , done and downrange . The extras will be handled as this evolves . We have every intention , of getting each and every one of these knives into the hands of a Soldier who needs one .
I will post the info for sending the blades to Brad at Peter's Heat Treating within the next few days .
Thanks , Bill

James Terrio
11-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Sorry I missed out on the original "run" you gentlemen are planning. If there are blanks left, I'd love to grind and build one for the cause. I can supply my own G10 or micarta, corbies, and thong tubing, and cover the necessary shipping. Please let me know if I can help!

In any case, I applaud the hard work you all are putting into this. What a great project!

P.S. I'll have some similar blades (D2, not A2)going out to Brad for HT in a couple weeks anyway. In case the logistics get to messy, would it be OK if I just finish one of those and send it in to be dispersed with yours? Either way is fine with me, my blank or yours. I'd just like to chip in. Don't have a lot of cash but I got plenty steel and belts etc :D

Sean Cochran
11-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Very sorry I got here to late for this one, put me down for the next please.

Also I can get some stainless tubing if any more is needed.

Sean

Denny Eller
11-15-2010, 06:01 PM
James, I believe this has grown into an on-going project. The first round is just the beginning. Justin King started this and can always find a donor that is deployed who needs a good user. He has been sending support overseas for some time.

James Terrio
11-16-2010, 07:12 AM
That's good to hear Denny. In any case someone just shoot me a pm if I can contribute either with one of my knives or by building one of the project knives.

Big Smitty
11-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Just got message from Jeff Wemmer at Spec Ops that the sheaths are in the mail to Bill today. Everyone please make sure to email Jeff and thank him! jeff.wemmer@specopsbrand.com Thanks guys!

murphda2
11-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Will do! It is really awesome of Jeff to do this for us.

G. Shahan
11-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Hey Bill T.

Got an empty envelope in the mail today. The end was ripped out and all the contents are gone.

Mike Carter
11-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Hole in my envelope too. The blade was in it but nothing else.

Bill Coye
11-17-2010, 06:45 PM
The end was ripped out and all the contents are gone.

Yikes!

I received my double-wrapped blank in the mail today ~

Looks like I'll need to break out the 10" wheel for this one :)

BC

Curtiss Knives
11-17-2010, 07:01 PM
You know things suck when a postal worker is getting ripped off by the postal service.

murphda2
11-17-2010, 07:13 PM
You know things suck when a postal worker is getting ripped off by the postal service.

I was thinking the same thing. I had a very similar incident happen to me a few months ago. A fellow member sent me (free of charge) a really nice bar of steel. I got an empty package and a note from USPS stating, "Your package is empty".

Shahan, I've spoken to Bill and he is going to get another blank heading your way tomorrow.

I got my package in the mail this evening as well. The blank looks great Dave. Awesome work, Sir.

Justin King
11-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Hole in my envelope too. The blade was in it but nothing else.

There are only blanks going out at this time, the handle materials will be sent out when Bill sends the blades back post-HT.
Got mine today too, hoping I can get time to grind soon!

Josh Dabney
11-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Got my blank today also. Double wrapped and in pristine condition packaging and all.

Are we holding our blades to send for HT on a certain date or sending them off to Peters as soon as they are ready ?

Also, never having used corbys before I just wanted to get confirmation that the holes in the blank are a drop-in fit for the corbys ?

Thanks guys ! -Josh

Bill T
11-17-2010, 09:03 PM
ATTENTION ALL BUILD-OFF MAKERS
I need you to all check this thread Daily !
Important Information !
1) The holes for the Corbys need to be drilled out to 1/4" for the bolts I have coming . If you prefer pins to Corbys , go for it .
2) Drill out the Lanyard hole as well to 1/4" .
3) Scribe your name and # on tang before Heat Treat . The # is with your name in this thread , post #1 .
4) We have been given 25 great sheaths but we still need at least 3 of the 28 makers to make a Kydex or other type sheath .
5) We will post the address and info about the Heat Treat in a day or two , please be patient .
6) I will be sending the Corbys , tubing and McamG10 with the blades after the heat treating .
7) Enjoy the process . Do what you want to do to the blade , just remember , it needs to be Combat Ready .

Bill T
11-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Also , Sorry for any and all Postal issues . We actually had a torn box also , on the way from Dave to me . We lost 2 on that one as well . So far we are down 3 out of 44 . Hopefully , that's it . We're in good shape though , we are still way ahead of where we thought we could be a month ago .
Thanks again to everyone involved .
Bill

calharkins
11-17-2010, 09:19 PM
I received my blank today. Hopefully will be able to start grinding tomorrow.
Thanks to everyone that is making this happen!

Bill Coye
11-17-2010, 10:04 PM
I'll make a kydex sheath and include a Molle lock.

BC

maxcutter03
11-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Got mine this morning. Ther package was cut but the blade was inside.

murphda2
11-18-2010, 01:46 PM
I've been messaging Brad in reference to the HT process and I need to know when everyone will be able to have thier blades ground in order to get them to Brad. With the hollidays upon us, I know we are all working on limited available time. What is a good timeline for everyone? How long do you guys need to get these ready for HT?

Rudy Joly
11-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Got mine today, no packing issues. Thanks Bill.

After talking with Bill, I am under the impression that we were directly sending them to the heat treater......Am I right ? After figuring out how I'm going to butcher, errrrr I mean grind them this weekend I hope to get them out the following week (?).

After seeing how nice that water jet works, I may have to reconsider Daves services on blanks I'm just going to grind.....nice job.

Rudy

HHH Knives
11-18-2010, 02:54 PM
I received my blades today.. Packaging was fine and blades look perfect..
Please advise when and where to send them after I get them ground out.
Im ready!! Thanks

Curtiss Knives
11-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Got mine today, no packing issues. Thanks Bill.

After talking with Bill, I am under the impression that we were directly sending them to the heat treater......Am I right ? After figuring out how I'm going to butcher, errrrr I mean grind them this weekend I hope to get them out the following week (?).

After seeing how nice that water jet works, I may have to reconsider Daves services on blanks I'm just going to grind.....nice job.

Rudy

Awe shucks...you makin' me blush...

James Terrio
11-18-2010, 03:30 PM

Pretty cool, huh? If you need more than one of the same style at a time, Dave's the man fo' sho'. You can even have 'em a little oversize to allow for changes like a clip instead of a drop point, play with handle shape, etc... it still saves time and belts.

Awe shucks...you makin' me blush...

So do I get a discount on that order we talked about earlier today for butterin' you up? :D

Bill T
11-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Thank You Mr. Coye for your offer to make a Kydex sheath . It is Greatly Appreciated !
Do we have any others who can make a Kydex sheath for their knife ?
As it stands , we need a total of 16 additional sheaths .
Bill Coye is first in , so 15 left to go .
I'd hate for my first Kydex to be made for this . I don't have the experience with it , to feel it would be Mil -Spec or even close to that . I don't even know what a Molle lock is ....
That being said , again , remember these are going into Combat .
So who's got Kydex skills along with their Knifemaking skills ?
It would make things easier - and cheaper - if the makers already involved could do it . But if there is another Member out there who has the Skills we need , to get the job done , let me know .
I think if we go outside the group to get it done , we will need to raise more shipping money , for those that would make them .

Ironwolf
11-18-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm going to be making a good,SOLID leather sheath set up for MOLLE attachment,
and the leather will be wet-formed to the knife.
I've never done kydex before and don't have the tools for it (grommet setter,etc),
but leather is quieter,and can be just as,if not more durable (imo).
For anyone else doing leather sheaths,if you don't do wet-forming,but want to,
here ya go
http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?10117-poor-man-s-wet-forming-leather-press&highlight=poor+man%27s+leather+press

Justin King
11-18-2010, 05:28 PM
I will be making a Kydex/Molle rig for mine, not sure exactly when I will have mine ground, have not been able to get much shop time recently but should be ready to ship in a couple of weeks.

Rudy Joly
11-18-2010, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE=Bill T;129172] Do we have any others who can make a Kydex sheath for their knife ?

Bill,
I'm all set up to do it, meaning I have everything needed but haven't tried it yet. Tracy's new tutorial confirmed what I already suspected....it's a cake walk. :drool: Tentatively put me down for my own sheath . By the time I get the blank back for finishing I'll be a pro at bending plastic or be covered in it. I won't let it kick my butt like leather does. :12:

(I'll keep you updated on my anticipated progress):s7435:

Rudy

Ironwolf
11-18-2010, 06:50 PM
I will be making a Kydex/Molle rig for mine, not sure exactly when I will have mine ground, have not been able to get much shop time recently but should be ready to ship in a couple of weeks.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do brother!
If you can,will there be pics?

Bill Coye
11-18-2010, 08:05 PM
[QUOTE=Bill T;129172] Do we have any others who can make a Kydex sheath for their knife ?

Bill,
I'm all set up to do it, meaning I have everything needed but haven't tried it yet. Tracy's new tutorial confirmed what I already suspected....it's a cake walk. :drool: Tentatively put me down for my own sheath . By the time I get the blank back for finishing I'll be a pro at bending plastic or be covered in it. I won't let it kick my butt like leather does. :12:

(I'll keep you updated on my anticipated progress):s7435:

Rudy

You got this!

:)

murphda2
11-18-2010, 09:23 PM
I agree with Bill.

Rudy, just grab a bunch of knives and start pressing sheaths for practice. The more you make, the better you get at it.

Big Smitty
11-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Got my blade yeaterday, looks great Dave! Design is cool. Grinding this weekend. Never used A2, is it like O1 for heat treat. Meaning can you pretty much get it to final grind and not have to worry about warping like 1095? I take O1 to just a hair away from final grind prior to heat treat. That makes the post heat treat final real easy!! :)

Justin King
11-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Got my blade yeaterday, looks great Dave! Design is cool. Grinding this weekend. Never used A2, is it like O1 for heat treat. Meaning can you pretty much get it to final grind and not have to worry about warping like 1095? I take O1 to just a hair away from final grind prior to heat treat. That makes the post heat treat final real easy!! :)

In my experience you can go very close with A2.

Rudy Joly
11-19-2010, 03:14 PM
I agree with Bill.

Rudy, just grab a bunch of knives and start pressing sheaths for practice. The more you make, the better you get at it.

Murph,
First thing in the morning (no work finally) I'm having at it. I'm confident that I'll have an acceptable one by noontime. I've had this stuff lying around for months, may as well use it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Bill.

Rudy

murphda2
11-19-2010, 03:21 PM
I've received several messages about a "deadline" to have these to Brad for HT. I need help from you guys in establishing a timeline. When can you guys have the blades ready to send for HT? Please be realistic as I do not want to burden Brad by dragging this out for weeks. Once you guys advise me as to how long you need, we will establish a deadline for having them shipped to Brad. We want to get all of these done at one time so that Brad isn't having to juggle his schedule around us.

Also, I need to know that everyone has received thier package, so please chime in and let us know. So far, G. Shahan is the only person who has reported having an problem and a new blank has been shipped out to him.

Denny Eller
11-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Bill, Murph, Justin,
I will make a Kydex sheath. They didn't have MOLLE locks back in my day so I'll order some if someone will tell me how to attach/configure them or if I need to make any modifications to the sheath.

murphda2
11-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Denny, it's pretty easy to attach the Molle Loks. All you have to do is match the eyelet holes in the sheath with the spacing of the mounting holes in the Molle Loks. If you order the Molle Loks from Tracy, all of the mounting hardware comes with them. If you are using a double Molle Lok configuration on the sheath, the spacing on Molle strapping is one inch (ie. every inch there is a stitched seam) and need to be parallel to one another.

Jerry Bond
11-19-2010, 05:46 PM
O K , I got my blades yesterday[I think] my days are running together
all blades are fine.
Now for the time, If I can have until Tue. night, I will be in good shape.
Deb came home and that takes more of my time than I expected.
If that is too long please let me know.
Thanks to all involved, I believe this is a real stand-up cause.
Jerry

murphda2
11-19-2010, 05:58 PM
LOL, ummmmmm ....... I was wondering if everyone needed a week, two weeks, or maybe even three, not four days Jerry. I think you'll be good brother.

Mike Carter
11-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Got mine ground and ready to ship to HT.

murphda2
11-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Just so everyone knows, please feel free to start a WIP thread on these if you want. I'd love to see everyone's interpretation of the design.

RodneyJ
11-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Got my blade yesterday will start on it this weekend.
Rodney

Carey Quinn
11-20-2010, 07:55 AM
I was beginning to feel left out but I got home last night and found a package from Bill T with a cool knife blank in it. With any luck at all, I will get it ground this weekend. I haven't ever worked with anything other than non stainless so thanks for the tips on A-2.

More to come...
Carey

Gahagan
11-20-2010, 08:25 AM
I have 2 ground will get to the third soon.

Rudy Joly
11-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Just like I intented,
I went into the shop with a mission this morning.....my first adventure with kydex. First I cobbled together my press which only took a few minutes. After eyeballing the kydex for a few minutes, I opted to try a 2 piece paddle looking affair. I put the heat gun to it till it got like well done spaghetti.....after that it was all downhill. No problems at all. The sheath grabs like a vise and releases smoothly. I guess there's no doubt that I'll supply my own sheath for the buildoff. Too bad kydex scratches the bejesus out of everything. I went in at 8 am and was out running around by 10 am. Behold my first kydex sheath !

Rudy

Bill Coye
11-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Awesome first effort Mr. Jolly. Well done!

BC

murphda2
11-21-2010, 12:29 AM
Looks a heck of alot better than my first kydex sheath. That is deffinitely one to be proud of.

Pieter
11-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Looks great for a first Rudy well done.

Rudy Joly
11-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the confidence boosting guys.
I was surprised at how quickly things went and no hitches. When it was done I thought maybe I got lucky, real lucky. A leather sheath would have been an all day affair and looking like pigpen made it...I can't keep them clean. I probably would never have tried if it wasn't for this project, I like traditional blades and wood. This may open another avenue if I can get over the slab look of tacticals (no offense intented).

Rudy

calharkins
11-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Rifle season opened here in Oklahoma yesterday. It is like Christmas and only comes once a year. Some of us Okies are going to need a few days to try to grind between hunting trips. Kudos to those that have theirs done.

SBuzek
11-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Got my blank from the P.O. yesterday.Will et to grinding this week.
Stan

G. Shahan
11-21-2010, 04:26 PM
I got my blank yesterday. Its ground and ready for heat treat today.

Greg

Big Smitty
11-21-2010, 05:06 PM
I ground my blade out yesterday and messed it up to the point of having to scrap it. Not to worry, I made another one today. All ground out, just about exactly the same, except in O1 and ready to heat treat. Hope ya'll will except my Redux and won't kick me out of the club, hehehehehe. I put up a WIP, see it here http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?13841-Big-Smitty-Service-Member-Knife-Build-Redux-(Picture-Heavy-and-Long) . Lost of pics and long if you are on dial up, are there still people on dial up?

Nowicki
11-21-2010, 07:26 PM
I got my blade too. Busy week this week but I'll try to get it done by the weekend. Put me down for a kydex sheath too. Haven't tried the molly lock either but I'll get some and give it a try.

Bill T
11-22-2010, 02:53 PM
I just got home and there was a great big box waiting for me ! I couldn't wait to open it up and take a look !
Inside this box are the nicest Tactical sheaths I've ever seen , they are simply AWESOME ! Thanks Jeff !!!!!
I've seen them on the Website for the Spec-ops products , but I have to say , these are Top-notch .
On top of that they are made in the Good Old USA !!! Jeff is the man when it comes to Tact. Sheaths , for sure . A big Thanks to Big Smitty for hooking us up with Jeff , too !!!
I'll try to get some pics up later , cause my picture Guru is going out to play Bingo now .
Bill

Jerry Bond
11-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Got 2 ready to go and the third one just re-drill the holds and stamp my mark, Well just one more little bit on that plunge line an-- yep platen liner busted and REALLY messed up the plunge, [Plate glass liner]
Now I'm doing what Deb says that I do best--waiting for glue to dry.
Jerry

Les George
11-22-2010, 07:32 PM
I got mine! :)

Josh Dabney
11-23-2010, 07:29 AM
Attn Bill T -

I started thinking about making a Kydex rig for my knife and the more I think about it the more I like the idea so please put me down for making my own sheath and reserve the Spec Ops for another maker.

Thanks alot, Josh

BruceM
11-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Has anyone had a chance to start a build thread with some pics yet? Can't wait to see what you guys are doing.
Bruce

Tcurry
11-24-2010, 06:47 PM
As a soldier, I think this is one of the coolest things I've come across. You guys are awesome.

Carey Quinn
11-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks Tcurry, but we're just trying to do a little bit for you guys who are really awesome.

We appreciate all that you do,
Carey

Mike Carter
11-29-2010, 10:20 AM
ATTENTION ALL BUILD-OFF MAKERS
I need you to all check this thread Daily !
Important Information !
1) The holes for the Corbys need to be drilled out to 1/4" for the bolts I have coming . If you prefer pins to Corbys , go for it .
2) Drill out the Lanyard hole as well to 1/4" .
3) Scribe your name and # on tang before Heat Treat . The # is with your name in this thread , post #1 .
4) We have been given 25 great sheaths but we still need at least 3 of the 28 makers to make a Kydex or other type sheath .
5) We will post the address and info about the Heat Treat in a day or two , please be patient .
6) I will be sending the Corbys , tubing and McamG10 with the blades after the heat treating .
7) Enjoy the process . Do what you want to do to the blade , just remember , it needs to be Combat Ready .

I am ready to ship to HT whenever you post the address and instructions. I am not set up to do kydex so put mine down for one of the donated sheaths.

SBuzek
12-01-2010, 09:10 AM
I am ready to ship to HT whenever you post the address and instructions. I am not set up to do kydex so put mine down for one of the donated sheaths.
Same for me.
Stan

John Barker
12-01-2010, 09:16 AM
I should have my blade ground this weekend and will do my own kydex.
-John

Nowicki
12-01-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm ground. Need to drill for the corby's and lanyard and I'm ready to ship for heat treat.

Bill T
12-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Hey Guys , I should have the answers to all the questions I've been getting worked out by tonight .
I've had my hands kind of full the last 2 weeks ; all seems quiet now .
Gonna go and grind right now ... more later .

Bill Coye
12-02-2010, 08:45 AM
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu322/4mac_photos/IMG_0075.jpg

...standing by for futher instructions ;)

Bill T
12-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Ok Dogs , Here's the Heat Treating info !

Peters' Heat Treat , Inc
215 Race St.
Meadville , PA 16335
Make sure you put on the envelope - Attn : Brad - KD Service Member Build

The Cut-off date for mailing to Brad is Dec. 15th .
That gives Brad time to Heat Treat and get them to me , so I can get them back to you before the holidays .
If you can't meet that deadline , please let me know !!

Remember to mark your blades with your name , so I can mail Your blade back to you .

Thanks , Bill

murphda2
12-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Looks awesome Bill.

Ironwolf
12-02-2010, 11:23 PM
sweet,can't wait to see that finished Bill!

Mike Carter
12-03-2010, 01:59 AM
Shipping to Peter's tomorrow.

http://www.cartercrafts.com/images/CarterKnives/KnifeDog%20Build/KDSM1a.jpg

Denny Eller
12-03-2010, 07:55 AM
Mike and Bill, those are great grinds - can't wait to see the finished product!

HHH Knives
12-03-2010, 09:19 AM
X2 they both look great!

Will ship out my lot O blades on Friday!! Are we havin fun yet!?!?!? I know I am!

Rudy Joly
12-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Mine will head out on Mon-Tues.

Rudy

BruceM
12-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Great looking grinds there Mike and Bill, looking forward to seeing them finished. Hey Mike, does it feel strange working on such a small knife? LOL!
Great job guys, keep it up!
Bruce

Mike Carter
12-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Great looking grinds there Mike and Bill, looking forward to seeing them finished. Hey Mike, does it feel strange working on such a small knife? LOL!
Great job guys, keep it up!
Bruce

I had them send me a blank that was 21" long and I ground it down.

Rudy Joly
12-05-2010, 11:37 AM
I managed to talk my film production crew (the BOSS) into uploading these pics. You better appreciate this, you have no idea how much humiliation and begging I have to endure for you guys. Now, after I collect myself and dry my eyes,:sad: it's into the box and mail them off.sniffle,sniffle Begging IS the worst part of my knifemaking.

Rudy

murphda2
12-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Lookin good Rudy.

For the record, no need to beg, just drop me a line or give me a call. I'll post the pics for ya if you like.

Rudy Joly
12-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Lookin good Rudy.

For the record, no need to beg, just drop me a line or give me a call. I'll post the pics for ya if you like.

The problem isn't posting them.....it's getting them out of the camera and into the computer. The rest I have a handle on. I might add that I'm self taught on posting them, I was pretty proud of myself the first time I managed to insert something in a post although it took many mistakes and a few hours.....by then it was old news. Thanks for the offer though.

Rudy

Ironwolf
12-05-2010, 12:19 PM
oh man...I just had a thought;
wouldn't it be cool if there was a Group picture of all these knives together when they were finished?

Mike Carter
12-05-2010, 12:30 PM
oh man...I just had a thought;
wouldn't it be cool if there was a Group picture of all these knives together when they were finished?

+1 :s11798:

murphda2
12-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Hmmmmmm, I wonder if someone had already thought of that? :les:
I bet the same guy has thought about a few other surprises too. :biggrin:

Ironwolf
12-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Hmmmmmm, I wonder if someone had already thought of that? :les:
I bet the same guy has thought about a few other surprises too. :biggrin:

:what!:
...I'm gonna have to start setting my alarm clock earlier!
:biggrin:

murphda2
12-05-2010, 01:14 PM
No worries Ironwolf. You're only a few weeks late on that one. I've had some thoughts slowly working into action for a month or so now. I don't want to talk about everything Bill and one or two others and I have been discussing until I know for sure it is going to work out. Once I get the final green light on it I'll let everyone know.

Ironwolf
12-05-2010, 03:32 PM
:34:
o.k...gotcha:shush:
I'll just hush up now. :3:

Bill Coye
12-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Received the two knives from Les George ~ ours ship out tomorrow.

BC

Edit - shipped 12/8/10 USPS Priority @ 0845 hrs.

murphda2
12-06-2010, 09:43 PM
I got alot of work done in the shop this afternoon. In total, I rough ground twelve blades. Here's a crappy pic of my build knives. I'll finish grinding them tomorrow and hope to have them in the mail on Wednesday or Thursday.

Ironwolf
12-06-2010, 10:06 PM
...12 blades?!!? :what!:
Brother Murph,did someone slip some of IG's heat-treat relish into your cereal bowl this morning?
:35:
edited to add;
the words "crappy" and "your knives" don't sound right even being in the same sentence to me.

murphda2
12-06-2010, 10:07 PM
I got my motivation back today.

Ironwolf
12-06-2010, 10:11 PM
yeah,I'd say you brewed up yerself an extra-strong cuppa Mojo this morning!
Glad to hear you ran out of tissues!:biggrin:

John Barker
12-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Mine will be shipping tomorrow.
-John

Nowicki
12-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Got mine done..................... it is in the mail.

calharkins
12-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Mine was shipped today. Looking forwarad to getting it back.

maxcutter03
12-08-2010, 04:56 AM
I will be shipping mine tomorrow.

John Barker
12-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Mine just went out.
-John

Rudy Joly
12-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Hi Bill,
Can you confirm with Peters' if all blades arrive safely. After the losses with the original send out I've been second guessing myself on the packaging. Mine went out Monday.

Thanks,
Rudy

SBuzek
12-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Mine is on the way.
Stan

G. Shahan
12-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Sent mine out this morning

Greg

Bill Coye
12-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Les George/Bill Coye package shipped 12/8/10 USPS Priority.

Jerry Bond
12-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Five blades headed North,
Finally got Debbie's blood sugar down to 414 and got a chance to run to the post office. Been a rough two days but I got that blood sugar whipped now. Jerry

Justin King
12-10-2010, 04:10 PM
I have been behind the 8-ball for a few weeks now but have my blade and the one I ground for IronWolf ready and marked, will be shipping tomorrow Priority Mail.

Curtiss Knives
12-11-2010, 06:03 AM
Bill T., I PMed a couple of times. Get back to me please.

Carey Quinn
12-12-2010, 03:53 PM
I finally got mine ready to ship and will get it off tomorrow.

Carey

Steven Janik
12-18-2010, 12:08 PM
http://knifedogs.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18236&d=1292698798
http://knifedogs.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18235&d=1292699190
Finally got this ground today.
It will be in the mail Monday, hope it's not too late.
The grind is a falling swedge and will not be sharpened on the top but will be great for stabbin' and jabbin' as well as an over-qualified box cutter.

Thanks for looking,
Steve

Bill Coye
12-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Nice grind Steve!

James Terrio
12-18-2010, 04:01 PM
The grind is a falling swedge and will not be sharpened on the top but will be great for stabbin' and jabbin' as well as an over-qualified box cutter.

I like that grind a LOT! Excellent work, Steven :thumbup:

Pieter
12-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Looking very good Steve.

Ironwolf
12-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Heck yeah!
That swedge gives it a real nice streamlined look...
dang that's a sexy blade.:7:

Ernie Swanson
12-19-2010, 02:23 PM
How in the world did I miss this:hang:

Its great of you guys to do something like this:rockon:

Next time make sure to tell me :s12108:

Justin King
12-19-2010, 03:50 PM
How in the world did I miss this:hang:

Its great of you guys to do something like this:rockon:

Next time make sure to tell me :s12108:

There has been talk of another group build at some point, but have no idea when it might be in the offing.

murphda2
12-19-2010, 04:27 PM
For those who are interested, I'm wanting to plan another build sometime in the next six months in preperation of my brigade's deployment to Afghanistan sometime between December '11 and March '12. If possible, I would like to be anle to receive enough support to furnish a blade for each member of an Infantry Company (120 personnel). I have a few design ideas already.

Ironwolf
12-19-2010, 04:31 PM
God willin' and the creek don't rise,
I'll have a grinder by then and will kick in a knife or 2 of my own...

James Terrio
12-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Please keep us posted, Murph. I'd be more than happy to grind and build a couple blades if there's another project!

Bennie Lovejoy
12-20-2010, 05:00 AM
I can't believe that I missed out on this too. Please keep us posted on another build. I would love to help out.

Curtiss Knives
12-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Where is everybody at on this project? I'm waiting on my sheath to arrive...Bill...hint.hint. Where and when do we send the completed knives and to who are they going to? Maybe I just missed something. I dunno???

murphda2
12-29-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm still looking for homes for the blades. I have a home for four of them with a team in Afghanistan. I'm not exactly sure of thier mission, I just know the team leader and know that it is a multiforce (comprised of Army, Navy, and Marine personnel) that venture outside the wire quite frequently. I should have access to some guys from Bill's neck of the woods if we get the project completed prior to me leaving active duty in March.

Rudy Joly
12-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Where is everybody at on this project? I'm waiting on my sheath to arrive...Bill...hint.hint. Where and when do we send the completed knives and to who are they going to? Maybe I just missed something. I dunno???

I hope I didn't miss it either.
I sent off the blades for HT but haven't recieved them back for finishing yet. Any word from Peters' HT ?

Rudy

Bill T
12-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Sorry Guys , It's me holding it all up . Had some things that needed tending . Will be back on track in a day or two . Sorry , Bill

Les George
01-02-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm still looking for homes for the blades. I have a home for four of them with a team in Afghanistan. I'm not exactly sure of thier mission, I just know the team leader and know that it is a multiforce (comprised of Army, Navy, and Marine personnel) that venture outside the wire quite frequently. I should have access to some guys from Bill's neck of the woods if we get the project completed prior to me leaving active duty in March.

If we have troubles finding homes for the blades, I can help. ;)

murphda2
01-02-2011, 10:40 AM
If anyone has family or friends who are down range ir heading that direction soon, please chime in and let me know. My only desire is to see the blades make it to personnel who are going into harm's way.

Bill T
01-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Sorry again for the delay Guys . Back on track though , got my blades done and will ship tomorrow .
Dave , I have your sheath shipping tomorrow as well .
Josh , your handle material and hardware will also ship tomorrow .
I think that's all till they come back from Brad , but if there is anything else I need to brought up to speed on , please let me know .
Thanks , Bill

Curtiss Knives
01-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Thank you Sir.

calharkins
01-03-2011, 01:49 PM
I have a nephew headed to Afghanistan. I believe it is in May.

murphda2
01-03-2011, 01:52 PM
We'll get him on the list.

Bill T
01-05-2011, 10:12 AM
We are almost at the next phase of our Build-off .
I believe that Brad has all the blades at this time and as soon as he can do so , they will be HT'ed . Brad will be sending them to me after that , and that is when everyone will receive their final pack from me .
In the pack will be -
Your blade or blades .
Handle material and hardware - for 1 blade .
A sheath , if you aren't making a Kydex one .
I sent Dave a sheath this week . He tells me that you can form the liner in the sheath to the knife . Perhaps he can show us an easy way to do so , so we all don't have to spend too much time on them .
After I send out the final packs , all I ask is that you PM me and let me know you received it .
I will at that time post all info for the shipping from Maker , to the last stop before dipersal .
Thanks , Bill

John Barker
01-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the update.
-John

calharkins
02-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Anyone received their blades back yet? I haven't heard a word.

Bill T
02-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Here they are ready to go ... Should ship tomorrow .

Justin King
02-03-2011, 10:55 PM
I want to thank you for doing the legwork on this, Bill. I know it was not a small task, but it is much appreciated.

calharkins
02-04-2011, 09:55 AM
I want to thank you for doing the legwork on this, Bill. I know it was not a small task, but it is much appreciated.

I second that Justin. Thanks Bill!!!!

Bill T
02-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Ok Guys , All boxes went out today !
In the box you receive will be :
1) Your blade or blades .
2) Mcam g10 Handle scales set or sets . Some makers have more than 1 set due to donations .
3) Hardware - rivets , lanyard tube
4) Sheath , if your not making Kydex .

Here's where things got complicated for me .
Some makers did not drill all holes to 1/4" .
I only included hardware for holes drilled to the specs that were outlined in the key info posts of this thread , #'s 51 and 65 .
I only ordered 1/4" Corbys and 1/4" tube so I don't have anything to substitute for them .
I hope this doesn't cause anyone any problems .
Thanks , Bill

Mike Carter
02-07-2011, 01:48 PM
I got my package today. Thank you.

G. Shahan
02-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Got mine today. Thanks Bill

Greg

murphda2
02-07-2011, 04:19 PM
If you guys would, please post and let us know that you have received your package and that all is accounted for so that I may maintain accountability. We've had a few guys who have run into "life" and are a bit behind. I know we can all relate to experiencing life's occassional curve ball or maybe even a kick in the teeth. It happens and all we can do is deal with it to the best of our ability. Please just keep me posted if something happens.

It's been a while since I've read through all the posts and I'm not sure if I've told you all or not, but I would like to say, "Thank you for donating your time and resources on this project". I have no doubt that each and every servicemember who receives these knives will be greatly appreciative. Who knows, the knife you've made may be the one which one day saves a servicemember's life.

Rudy Joly
02-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Got mine today.
Thanks Mr. Bill.

Thanks,
Rudy

murphda2
02-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Package received!

Gahagan
02-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Got mine today

Justin King
02-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Mine and IronWolf's arrived today, thanks again Bill.

Big Smitty
02-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Got mine today

calharkins
02-07-2011, 08:54 PM
I got mine today!! Thanks for all the work Bill.

murphda2
02-07-2011, 09:41 PM
I currently have accountability of 40 blades that were shipped or are still in the posession of the maker who has chosen to be responsible for the HT. As asked earlier, please let me know when you receive your packages. Once all of these are complete, I have homes for all 40 blades. Without going into detail, the receipients will be:

US NATO team in Afghanistan
MARINE EOD
Members of a National Guard Infantry Bde.

Jerry Bond
02-08-2011, 05:01 AM
Got mine--3 handles no corbys 5 blades 2 sheaths

Josh Dabney
02-08-2011, 05:26 AM
It's all comming together now , Great work guys !

If someone didn't get the corbys and tube in their package but still would like them I didn't use mine so I'd happily forward them on to whoever is in need of hardware.

Or, if everyone's all set I could return them to Bill T for use in the next go round.

Can't wait to see the finished knives :D

-Josh

Carey Quinn
02-08-2011, 06:24 AM
I got mine! Now I just have to figure out how to use these corby dodads.

Thanks Bill,
Carey

James Terrio
02-08-2011, 08:09 AM
I got mine! Now I just have to figure out how to use these corby dodads.

Don't let 'em outsmart ya ;) Just drill all the way through for size of the female shaft, then partway into each "out" side of the scales for the shoulders. Trim the threaded parts to length if needed, they only need to be long enough to reach through one scale and the tang, then a tad into the other scale. If you leave them longer than that sometimes you end up grinding into the threaded part when you bring the shoulders flush to the scale, and that will make you say bad words. (An ugly divot will show)

You can also find stepped drills in various sizes so you can drill each scale in one "pass".

Les George
02-08-2011, 04:14 PM
I got mine

maxcutter03
02-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Got mine in today. Blade, tube, scales, sheath.

BRad704
02-08-2011, 06:10 PM
I love seeing updates to this thread. I still find it amazing that so many of you are willing to pitch in and do this build. I hope to get to be involved one day, once my skills are worthy of our Servicemen and women.

Any chance of a mass-group-shot of all the knives before they are deployed?

murphda2
02-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Any chance of a mass-group-shot of all the knives before they are deployed?

:les: Maybe. It's amazing the things all you guys think of. I wonder if anyone else thought of that? :les:

BRad704
02-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Are you patronizing me? :) Maybe someone else mentioned it before, and I certainly do NOT want to hold up the distribution once they are done...

murphda2
02-09-2011, 08:11 AM
LOL, just teasing a bit Brad. A group shot is deffinately going to happen on this before I ship them out to thier new homes. I've got to make sure we have evidence that it happened. As everyone always says, "If there's no pic, there's no proof", right?

BRad704
02-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Oh... I guess I missed that post... :shortbus:

murphda2
02-09-2011, 08:37 AM
You didn't miss it. I never posted it.

Denny Eller
02-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Received my package in perfect condition. Excellent packing, Bill.

Bill T
02-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Hey Jerry, I have an additional box heading your way. The last of the materials,1 more sheath, 2 sets of scales and 5 pair of corbys. It will go out tomorrow.