PDA

View Full Version : WIP: First Knife

murphda2
09-20-2009, 03:54 PM
I decided to start a thread of my first knife I've done start to finish. I ground my first blade last week, but I didn't start it. It was an old blank that Jim Crowell had given me from a batch he did way back in the day. I actually found it in his junk pile of scraps.

So, here it is from sketch to bandsaw work for now. I started by doing a modified design of an Aldo Bruno knife I bought several months ago. I really like the design, but would like to have one a little bit bigger. I kept with very similar lines. You can see my inspiration sitting on the table there.

Using my french curve to maintain clean lines I sketched the design up on graph paper then cut the pattern out with my exacto knife (yes, I know scissors would be easier but, I don't have a pair here in Ms). I then transfered the pattern to heavier stock with a little spray adhesive and re-cut it with the exacto. After prepping the steel with some layout fluid I traced the pattern on with my silver sharpie and then headed outside to start the bandsaw work.

The bandsaw work was a little tricky because I'm trying to save as much steel as possible. This is the only piece of 3/16" I have all the rest I have is 1/4" and everything I have on order is 1/4". Anyway, getting that last turn in the center was a PIA but I finally got it done.

It's almost 1600 and I've yet to eat today. Gotta get some grub and then get these two blanks profiled before the weather gets bad again (I have to wheel my tools out on the deck to work (living in an apartment stinks). I really need a shop to work in.

Murph

Chris Martin
09-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Thats looking great Murph!!!! Might want to put some shoes on, that metal gets hot....haha

Keep em coming bud,

I decided to start a thread of my first knife I've done start to finish. I ground my first blade last week, but I didn't start it. It was an old blank that Jim Crowell had given me from a batch he did way back in the day. I actually found it in his junk pile of scraps.

So, here it is from sketch to bandsaw work for now. I started by doing a modified design of an Aldo Bruno knife I bought several months ago. I really like the design, but would like to have one a little bit bigger. I kept with very similar lines. You can see my inspiration sitting on the table there.

Using my french curve to maintain clean lines I sketched the design up on graph paper then cut the pattern out with my exacto knife (yes, I know scissors would be easier but, I don't have a pair here in Ms). I then transfered the pattern to heavier stock with a little spray adhesive and re-cut it with the exacto. After prepping the steel with some layout fluid I traced the pattern on with my silver sharpie and then headed outside to start the bandsaw work.

The bandsaw work was a little tricky because I'm trying to save as much steel as possible. This is the only piece of 3/16" I have all the rest I have is 1/4" and everything I have on order is 1/4". Anyway, getting that last turn in the center was a PIA but I finally got it done.

It's almost 1600 and I've yet to eat today. Gotta get some grub and then get these two blanks profiled before the weather gets bad again (I have to wheel my tools out on the deck to work (living in an apartment stinks). I really need a shop to work in.

Murph

Bill Coye
09-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Thats looking great Murph!!!! Might want to put some shoes on, that metal gets hot....haha

Keep em coming bud,

Now we're talkin' Murph! Get in there and make some dust!

Thanks for letting us in on the fun.

Remember, safety is no accident. :)

BC

murphda2
09-20-2009, 04:09 PM
I was being lazy. I kinda slept in today after having a few sleepless nights. I was wearing my glasses and gloves and have every intention of changing into jeans and boots prior to grinding.

Murph

Jeff Pearce
09-20-2009, 04:09 PM
great looking design...keep us posted...2thumbs

Bailey Knives
09-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Already looks better than my first one!

John Barker
09-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Looking good so far. Can't wait to see more pics.
-John

murphda2
09-20-2009, 07:59 PM
OK, where did I leave off? Oh yeah.....lunch!

After my late afternoon lunch I changed into more appropriate attire (jeans and combat boots). I then wheeled my "rollaway" which has my grinder on top of it out to the deck and profiled the blades. I'm very happy I decided to go ahead and buy that small wheel attachment for my grinder. There's no way I would have had the patience to file these curves out by hand. You'll notice one blade that wasn't there earlier. This is actually the piece that was left over from when I cut the two blades out of the O-1 stock. I figured, why not? Who knows, it may make a good shop knife.

I then applied more layout fluid and marked my center line on each blade.

Then here is the finished product thus far. I did all of my rough grinding first on a 10" wheel then moved over the my flat platten. All of this was done on a Blaze 40 grit belt. I hope I haven't gound these too thin. As of now, they are at approximately 1/16" at the edge. I'm thinking I may need to back the edge up a bit to give me a little more thickness on the edge for HT. I'll probably do that tomorrow when I move to a 120 grit belt to clean the blades up a bit more, then to a 240 grit. Hope I haven't screwed up already.

SO, what do you guys think so far. Feel free to be blunt. I have no problem with constructive criticism. I give it every day while training.

Murph

ChipI.
09-20-2009, 08:06 PM
knives are off to a great start. Good usable design . Can't wait to see more

Bill Coye
09-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Okay, so far so good.

Snack - check

Funky boxers - check

Combat boots - check

Cool lookin' blanks - check

Looks like you've been paying attention sir.

I'm tuned in!

BC

murphda2
09-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Well, I hate to say this but.........this thread is dead!!! I picked up my blades yesterday morning to examine them and realized I made an error in grinding the tangs. I had low spots on both blades in the center of the tang.

This obviously frustrates me to no end, but oh well. That's why we practice, right? I'm sure I'm not the first to make this mistake. Anyway, I cut a new blank yesterday and tried to get started but was rained out. The weather is nice today so I'm going to try again.

Murph

Bill Coye
09-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Well, I hate to say this but.........this thread is dead!!! I picked up my blades yesterday morning to examine them and realized I made an error in grinding the tangs. I had low spots on both blades in the center of the tang.

This obviously frustrates me to no end, but oh well. That's why we practice, right? I'm sure I'm not the first to make this mistake. Anyway, I cut a new blank yesterday and tried to get started but was rained out. The weather is nice today so I'm going to try again.

Murph

Naw...this thread 'aint dead.

We need to see the new blank take shape! This is your thread and you can post all of your new stuff here. It's a great way to have other guys look and help out if needed.

BC

John Barker
09-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Just drill you holes and taper the tangs. No one will ever know and the knives will look even better. I did a tutorial over on my subforum on how to do it. As narrow as those tangs are you probably don't even need to hollow out the tang.
-John

murphda2
09-22-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm just really disappointed in the work. I'm going to chalk these two up to being dead and start fresh. I cut a new blank of the same design (I enlarged it a little) from a piece of 1/4" O-1 yesterday.

All I had for work today was my PT test (physical fitness test for you civilian types). I then went to the gym for a bit and come home to relax a while before getting to work on the new blank. I've had my lunch now time to change and get at it. We'll see how this one comes out.

Murph

RAGUEL3
09-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Dont toss em out,.. you will find sometimes later on in your education in knife work, that you have now either learned to fix one you thought you couldnt salvage,or that will better skills you can now make it into something else. :)

Josh Dabney
09-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Murph,
I must be misunderstanding you. Low spots in the middle of the tang aren't even a problem. In fact many would think that taking extra weight out of the tang area to be a good thing. You can also drill a hole through the low spot and in each scale to create a mechanical bond with epoxy (similar to an internat pin) to help protect against shear force against your scales.

My take is as long as your scales will sit flat against the tang all the way around the perimeter your what I would call "Golden" .

For that matter if the problem is to severe you still have the option if converting to a hidden tang construction by letting the bandsaw clean up the mess.

I can relate to how you feel, I've got 4 or 5 blades that never even made it to heat treat due to errors on the grinder. Nature of the beast for newbies, LOL.

Though I'd add my newbie perspective so I hope you don't mind

-Josh

Rusty McDonald
09-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Murph,
I can relate to how you feel, I've got 4 or 5 blades that never even made it to heat treat due to errors on the grinder. Nature of the beast for newbies, LOL.

Though I'd add my newbie perspective so I hope you don't mind

-Josh

4 or 5! man I've got a 5 gal bucket full of the ones that didn't make it.

Send them anyway and Ill HT them any way I will use the same electricity either way.
You can always wrap them in paracord or something.

Josh Dabney
09-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Rusty,
I'm currently working at getting #5 completed, LOL.

By the time I reach the number that you've finished I'll probably have 10 gallons of screw-ups.

Number 5 is comming along nicely though :)

-Josh

murphda2
09-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Well, I came in from work yesterday to the pooring rain and couldn't take my grinder out on the deck to work (talk about raining on a guy's parade!). After sitting frustrated for a bit I decided to try to fight to get my grinder out the front door under cover and after much trial I made it.

I decided to also take the bandsaw out and cut a few new blanks. I was a bit smarter this time though. I cut three blanks and decided to only work on one of them. Long story short, by the end of the evening I had a heck of a mess on the front porch and a blade that was frustrating me.

I came home today to clear skies and sunny weather, so off to grinding I went. I decided to slow things down a bit and it paid off. I'm much happier with how things are looking with this one. I guess I'll know if I'm happy with it when I get home from the gym in a bit and take a second look at it. Good thing I finished when I did. No sooner had I finished up, the skies opened up again.

Josh, the resaon I was frustrated with the last one is because I had done a tapered tang on it and had low spots in the center of the tang. Looking from the edge, there were concave grinds in the center of the tang when looking from the edge. It should have been flat.

Murph

I'll post pics later

WadeH
09-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Murph, that is what Josh was saying. Lots of people will hollow out the center to take some of the mass out of the handle. As long as it is flat around the edge it really will not make much of a difference. The epoxy will fill up the middle part of the knife and the pins will hold the scales on. The only real reason for the epoxy most will tell you is to keep the moisture out.

Bill Coye
09-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Like this?

http://www.knifedogs.com/showthread.php?t=128

murphda2
09-23-2009, 09:11 PM
As I previously posted, I started all over. This time I decided to cut three blanks. Though I'm not real impressed with my grind work, my bandsaw work is pretty good. I kinda impressed myself with how well I got into the tight fit between the blanks without screwing up.

Here are the "almost finished" photos. I still need to do a little bit more shaping on the tang, just a couple of minor adjustments needed. I also looked closer at the edge and realized it's a little uneven so I need to correct that as well and do a little hand sanding to check for flaws and deep scratches prior to sending it to Rusty for HT.

If I'm lucky, I'll have time to finish this up tomorrow and get another one in the works. With each one I grind I'm seeing errors that I've made that and want to kick myself because I know better than to make those mistakes. The good thing is as I screw up, it's really driving home those "lessons learned".

Please feel free to critique my work thus far.

Thanks Guys,

Murph

Josh Dabney
09-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Murph,
Now I understand what the issue with the original blank is. I'd agree that as is you wouldn't get a satisfactory result with what you have. I had the same problem on my second tapered tang and ended up solving the problem by decking the tang flat on a piece of 100 grit paper and our glass breakfast table. Scratched the heck out of the table but I did get the tang flat, LOL.

Like you though I've decided that it's ok to scrap a few blades in the process of learning to use my grinder so I understand your logic completely.

Good on you for getting right back to work !

-Josh

RAGUEL3
09-23-2009, 10:40 PM
If you want jimping along the spine and dont have a mill,or a dremel,.. you can use a checkering file like we use in gunwork . couple passes and its done.

murphda2
09-23-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm debating on what to use for handle material on this one, but do like the idea of maybe doing the jimping on the spine. I'm most likely going to use black linen or brown canvas micarta, maybe curly maple. Whichever way I decide to go, I'm pretty sure I'll contour the handle for ultimate grip. I need to find some scrap lumber to practice handle shaping prior to working this one though. I don't want my first try to be when I'm putting a handle on my first blade.

Murph

John Barker
09-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Looking good!
-John

murphda2
09-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Thank you John. On the next one, I'll do the taper the proper way which I have received instruction on in the past, as demonstrated in your "How To" thread. I realize there are a couple of things I need to purchase to assist with my grind work, 1.) ceramic plate for my platten (it's getting way too hot), 2.) a magnet (I have a finger that will soon start showing bone if I hit the belt again).

I appreciate all the encouragement guys.

Murph

ChipI.
09-24-2009, 10:08 PM
looks great Murph. can't wait to see them finished

murphda2
09-25-2009, 02:20 AM
This one is the same design only more correctly ground. I still need to finish the shape and taper on the tang. Also in the photo is a tanto I have been working on off and on.

Murph

Josh Dabney
09-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Murph,
Just a word of caution from my bad experience. Drill ALL holes before tapering the tang. As many things, it could be carefully done after but the first one I did got chewed up like this....

Drilled pin holes.
Tapered tang.
Decided to drill another weight reduction hole and bent tang in process. (did Not notice)
Back to platten to remove burr from drilling.

Due to the bend when the tang was against the platen the top idler wheel ate a nice hollow right on the side of the blade, LOL. The blade was 1/8" O1 and the hollow went a full half way through the blade. OOOOPS lol.

Just thought I'd share in case my stupidity may help you.

-Josh Your blank is looking sweet by the way !

murphda2
09-25-2009, 07:10 PM
Yeah, that happened to me on the first one because my platten was not adjusted properly.

Murph