PDA

View Full Version : W2 Blacksmith knife for a friend

One
10-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Hey Yar,
This was fun!

I usually use whatever scrap metal is out back in the junk pile for these, coil springs, railroad spikes etc,Ö but this time I tried a good piece of Donís ĺ round W2. I like the way it forged out... good steel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/taigoo/On%20The%20Bench%202009/On%20The%20Bench%202010/DSCN1477.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/taigoo/On%20The%20Bench%202009/On%20The%20Bench%202010/DSCN1496.jpg

Iat

Raymond Richard
10-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Ati,

I've always wanted to be able to make the figures like you make. Someday I'll have to make up some tools and give it a try. How big is the knife and what size piece of 3/4" scrape did you end up using?

ddavelarsen
10-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Freakin awesome! I love it!

One
10-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Thanks.

Yra, I didn't measure anything and already have it boxed up, but I started with around a 2-1/2 inch piece and ended up with about a 7 inch knife. Just going from 3/4 round to about 1/2 inch square stretched it quite a bit. I only used 5 total hot chisels and punches for the face,… the eye punch, the mouth chisel, the gum punch, the tooth chisel and the nostril punch,... I think that's everything. I did use a small round punch with a dome shaped end to make the eye punch.

mofretwell
10-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Ita,

I love the little gargoyle, the handle, and the blade too. Unique seems too tame a word. An awesome knife; a beautiful work of art. Your friend should be mightily impressed.

Raymond Richard
10-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Hey Two, I'm glad you posted this knife here! You got me interested in forging again plus it was perfect temp in the shop to light up. Even been trying to use more elbow and a lot less wrist. Hard to break bad hammer habits but I'm going to try.

Zero

One
10-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Yra, use the joints that still work the best!

I lit up (the forge) in the shop today too...

Keep that elbow tucked, and try not to torque it too much. :)

Ati

Vance C.
04-15-2011, 01:54 AM
tai, im assuming you used the godzilla to work down the blade yeah? how did you keep the handle offset so its in line with the spine, rather than in the middle of the piece? just by hammering the handle back in line with the spine every once in a while while your chompin down with godzilla? also i love the twist work you did on the handle. im gonna have to mess with that myself

Raymond Richard
04-15-2011, 12:02 PM
tai, im assuming you used the godzilla to work down the blade yeah? how did you keep the handle offset so its in line with the spine, rather than in the middle of the piece? just by hammering the handle back in line with the spine every once in a while while your chompin down with godzilla? also i love the twist work you did on the handle. im gonna have to mess with that myself

Vance, Tai's place got hit a few days ago by lightning and it caused his modem to fry so I'll give a shot at your question. If you take a look at the thread I started called "Seeing if I still can" I demonstrate how I use Godzilla. Pretty sure Tai went in a similar direction. I'm also sure Tai had to make several adjustment getting and keeping things straight with the hammer and anvil.

Vance C.
04-15-2011, 01:00 PM
ok thanks raymond, im planning on making a godzilla soon, once i find all my scrap metal stuff, it looks like an insanely great tool!

Raymond Richard
04-15-2011, 05:24 PM
ok thanks raymond, im planning on making a godzilla soon, once i find all my scrap metal stuff, it looks like an insanely great tool!

Vance, I'm not sure what my forging would be like without it. For me its a big time and arm saver.

Vance C.
04-15-2011, 10:35 PM
i bet, i actually put most of mine together today, i want to blacksmith as long as possible, so i wanna start saving my joints while im young!