PDA

View Full Version : Meet the Swifts

Raymond Richard
09-18-2009, 01:42 PM
YouTube - Chapman Swifts

Its free and not to far away. Going to have a pick nick.

Raymond Richard
09-18-2009, 10:52 PM
I did experience watching these birds live at dusk tonight. I'm glad we made the short trip to go see these birds. There were several times when a falcon and a hawk tried for a swift dinner and missed. I was surprised to see as many people watching this event. It looked pretty much like this video but much better.

Jeff Pearce
09-18-2009, 10:56 PM
I can't get the video to play.

Eli Gautreaux
09-19-2009, 07:21 AM
I did a search at utube for chapman swifts and found the video that way. That's REALLY interesting. Glad you go to see it Ray.

How long will they stay?

Raymond Richard
09-19-2009, 09:13 AM
I can't get the video to play.

Jeff, I to couldn't get the video that's up open but the other ones that came up underneath it worked for me.

Being there in person is much better since there are so many birds you just don't see. Maybe a half dozen different flocks flying at different elevations. The swifts are much smaller than they look in the video. About a 4" wing span. There in the same family as swallow's. I was told that the birds stay in that old chimney through October and there are more and more of the swifts arriving everyday. We took our two pretend grand kids along and met up with our son and his new bride. A nice evening out. Pretty sure they winter in Latin America but not sure where.

Jeff Pearce
09-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Ray I got it to work Useing the one below it also, Very cool.