PDA

View Full Version : Large Puukko Like Object, LPLO

Raymond Richard
09-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Been making several smaller bladed knives over the last several months that are more along the lines of Puukko's than anything else but I have been getting an itch to make something a bit larger so here it is. Not knowing what puukko means it probably means small knife so here's my take of a large small knife. :D This one has a 8" W-2 blade, wagon wheel wrought iron fittings, desert ironwood with ivory spacers for a handle. 12 1/2" overall.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2600.JPG

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2596.JPG

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2597.JPG

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2598.JPG

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2603.JPG

Robert Mayo
09-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Awesome knife Ray the proportions are just right.

Bob

Denny Eller
09-08-2010, 05:19 PM
I don't know what Puuko means either but I know a great piece of craftsmanship when I see one. I see one. Ray, as we used to say in the '60s - Groovy, man.

Peter Killgore
09-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Now that is a true work of art! Then again, all your knives are so that's not a surprise. :D Looks great!

Eli Gautreaux
09-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Wow Ray, that turned out GREAT!!! I really like the look of this one.

I can envision another one like, it in a 12" dagger blade :D

ddavelarsen
09-09-2010, 02:52 AM
Awesome! Dang Ray, you never cease to blow me away. That one has it all; I just love the way everything fits so well and balances to a T. What a knifemaker!

Eli Gautreaux
09-10-2010, 09:33 AM
I keep coming back to look at this one, SO nice!

Raymond Richard
09-10-2010, 10:25 AM
I keep coming back to look at this one, SO nice!

Eli, I started working on the twin brother of this one yesterday but I did get bit by the forging bug Wednesday night. The new pain pills for my hand at least for right now seem to be working so my mind had again been tweeked and forging seems to be filling my mind with ideas. Also gotten bit by the fishing bug so may go scratch that itch shortly.

I think this knife takes a while to get use to. I like it better the more I look at it to.

Shane Justice
09-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Sweet-ness!

mofretwell
09-11-2010, 03:56 PM
The ironwood and ivory are absolutely stunning together! That is just about the prettiest knife handle you've made for your Scandi style knives, IMO. Wow.

I do like the size and look of this knife. Sort of a Finnish bowie knife. Way to go, Ray! Another winner.

mofretwell
09-11-2010, 03:58 PM
The ironwood and ivory are absolutely stunning together! That is just about the prettiest knife handle you've made for your Scandi style knives, IMO. Wow.

I do like the size and look of this knife. Sort of a Finnish bowie knife. Way to go, Ray! Another winner.

Raymond Richard
09-11-2010, 10:19 PM

Marvin, I see you like it so much you got a double post. :D I may have mentioned that I did 3 blades like the one on this knife. I just got number 2 rubbed out. I plan to go fishing at the Sandy River tomorrow morning at the railroad bridge and then to church. I'm going to start putting number 2 together after that. Its going to go in a different direction and the same for number 3. After number 3 I'll start on leather work.

Peter Killgore
09-12-2010, 09:08 PM
We hit the Sandy yesterday and it was a waste of time. I actually wound up going for an unplanned swim in my waders so that made it even lass enjoyable. Hop you did better than we did!

Raymond Richard
09-12-2010, 10:19 PM
We hit the Sandy yesterday and it was a waste of time. I actually wound up going for an unplanned swim in my waders so that made it even lass enjoyable. Hop you did better than we did!

Peter, Are you fly fishing or spear fishing? I've got 3 days in a row fishing at the railroad bridge. I spend an hour to an hour and a half and then leave. I keep expecting to do some catching but it hasn't happened yet. Lets go catch some fish before the weather goes south. Let me know when you can do it and we can meet up.

One
09-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Nice one Ray! :)

Peter Killgore
09-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Peter, Are you fly fishing or spear fishing? I've got 3 days in a row fishing at the railroad bridge. I spend an hour to an hour and a half and then leave. I keep expecting to do some catching but it hasn't happened yet. Lets go catch some fish before the weather goes south. Let me know when you can do it and we can meet up.

Neither. I usually stick to bobber and jig and occasionally eggs when I'm on the Sandy. I'll let you know when I can swing some fishing time. Maybe we can hit the Columbia one last time for some Salmon before the run ends.

Raymond Richard
09-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Neither. I usually stick to bobber and jig and occasionally eggs when I'm on the Sandy. I'll let you know when I can swing some fishing time. Maybe we can hit the Columbia one last time for some Salmon before the run ends.

Peter, Hard to catch fish when there not in the river. The only action I had today was trying to snag a bobber that was flouting down the river. Couldn't even catch that. One of these mornings I will hit the river and there will be some fish to catch. I really am enjoying my new fishing outfit. Sure would like to see how it works with a fish on it. Let me know where and when.........

Ita, I'm working on another blade identical to this last one but taking it a different direction. I'm using a piece of wandoo for the handle.

One
09-14-2010, 07:34 AM
Yar, What's wandoo? Is it something I need?

Raymond Richard
09-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Yar, What's wandoo? Is it something I need?

Ita, Something you wandoo. Could be something you need if you wandoo it. Are you wandooing a song about wandooing?

Just been working on the handle. I am finding wandoo a hard wood to remove all the scratches but its perty. One more sanding session and I think I should be done with that. I'm wandooing lunch right now.

mofretwell
09-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Ita and Yar, you guys are the greatest. Love your humor.

Raymond Richard
09-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Ita and Yar, you guys are the greatest. Love your humor.

Vinmar, Glad someone one loves us! Ita and Yar try to have a good time no matter what we are dong.

I took a picture of the wandoo handle just so you'll know I'm not full of it. Had to go a round about way to get it. Can't get into my hard drive for some reason so I sent myself and email of a picture of it. Now to see if it works. I'm going to let it soak in my linseed oil/turpentine mix for a couple hours.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2609.JPG

mofretwell
09-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Wandoo is the common name for a number of Western Australian Eucalyptus species, all of which have smooth white bark.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandoo

But it looks like walnut burl. Very nice, whatever it is.

Raymond Richard
09-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Wandoo is the common name for a number of Western Australian Eucalyptus species, all of which have smooth white bark.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandoo

But it looks like walnut burl. Very nice, whatever it is.

I was thinking it was a burl but I found out that wandoo occurs very rarely. Bruce the fellow that sent me the wood said the fellow that he gets his wood from told him he has only seen two trees of wandoo. The whole tree has wood like this. I think it looks more like thuya burl but totally different to work with.

Eli Gautreaux
09-15-2010, 07:18 PM
That's a pretty wood Ray, and a different shape than i expected. Now I can't wait to see the blade that goes with it.

Raymond Richard
09-15-2010, 11:25 PM
That's a pretty wood Ray, and a different shape than i expected. Now I can't wait to see the blade that goes with it.

You'll get to see it tomorrow. It looks like something like I would make. This last knife looked kind of strange compared the what I have been making. You'll like the new one.

Dusty One
09-23-2010, 05:41 AM
Ray...I never get tired of looking at your work. This is another Beauty. Great to see your having fun !
Puukko
A woodcrafty knife of Norwegian, Swedish, or Finnish heritage, with a short blade and flat back, used as a tool rather than a weapon.