PDA

View Full Version : Cocobowie

Peter Killgore
08-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Been wanting to do a bowie with a Cocobolo handle now for a while and finally got around to it. I was gone at the beach for a few days so I had to put off the peening of the tang and the sharpening for a while but it's now finished. The OAL is 11 1/2" and the blade is 7" from the guard to the tip and is from a Ford leaf spring. The dark spot on the blade is a shadow or WD-40 that didn't get wiped off so it's not really there. Handle is Cocobolo. I had kinda hoped to find a piece of stag to use for the handle on this one(I thought it would go well with the lines) but nothing in the Elk rack I have looked like it would do well for a handle. As always, anything you have to say is appreciated greatly.

Peter

Denny Eller
08-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Peter, that is fantastic! Really well done.

Eli Gautreaux
08-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Looking good Peter.

Did the cocobolo give you any trouble? Last time I tried to work with it I ended up with swollen eyes for a few days...

Dan Pierson
08-23-2010, 10:39 PM
That's one really nice bowie!

I always use eye, respirator and medical hand cream with cocobolo.

Peter Killgore
08-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys!

I didn't have any problems working with the Cocobolo. I did wear a NIOSH 95 mask just in case though. Your story about that scared me Eli. Didn't really want to take the chance.

Raymond Richard
08-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Peter, That really turned out great!

I just got home after a trip to see an old friend that lives in Grants Pass. Went fishing off the rocks this morning at Luther's fishing hole on the Rogue River. 5 or 6 cast I'd caught a 25 pound buck chinook salmon. What a thrill that was! First time I'd ever caught a fish of that size from the shore. Had a good 20 minute fight and I'd won! Had a late dinner and the salmon was the main coarse.

HHH Knives
08-24-2010, 05:37 AM
That sure looks great! very well done..

Eli Gautreaux
08-24-2010, 06:24 AM
Peter, That really turned out great!

I just got home after a trip to see an old friend that lives in Grants Pass. Went fishing off the rocks this morning at Luther's fishing hole on the Rogue River. 5 or 6 cast I'd caught a 25 pound buck chinook salmon. What a thrill that was! First time I'd ever caught a fish of that size from the shore. Had a good 20 minute fight and I'd won! Had a late dinner and the salmon was the main coarse.

We need a picture of that one Ray, sounds like a great day!

Peter Killgore
08-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Sounds like quite the fish Ray! While I was at the beach, I talked to some guys who went out for Tuna. 32 miles, two days, and more than 60 fish! Only thing that could make that better would be if they'd had me over for dinner. :D

NickWheeler
08-31-2010, 01:19 PM
That's a gorgeous knife Peter! I may just have had my eyes closed, but I haven't seen you post your work around the forums... I would highly suggest you do that! People should be seeing this stuff!!! :)

Raymond Richard
08-31-2010, 01:44 PM
That's a gorgeous knife Peter! I may just have had my eyes closed, but I haven't seen you post your work around the forums... I would highly suggest you do that! People should be seeing this stuff!!! :)

Nick, Peter's actually a couple years younger than you. :D Really a great young man. I'd done a local sportsman's show several years ago at a local church and Peter saw my work and wanted to try duplicating it. :D He's been by the shop a few times to pester me since. He's posted a few knives on my forum this past year. Here's an old thread from one of Peter's visits: http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?352-Training-for-a-budding-bladesmith.&daysprune=-1

NickWheeler
09-01-2010, 02:21 AM
Hi Ray! :)

Sorry, I was pretty familiar with Peter's start and how young he is... what I meant with my post is that I haven't seen him posting his stuff on places like the custom section of Bladeforums. I know in my gut there's a lot of guys there that would love to see his work... even if Peter has no desire to get orders or anything like that... Just for the sake of sharing his talent.

It was sure good of you to help him out as you have... he's obviously a great student with a great teacher! :)

Raymond Richard
09-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Nick, Maybe Peter will chime in. I'm glad to hear his work has caught your eye!

Peter Killgore
09-01-2010, 06:28 PM
OK I'l chime in. :D School started for me on Monday so things have been a little hectic while I'm getting back into the swing of things.

Anyways, thank you very much for the compliments both of you! They mean a lot. I haven't posted anything out in the main forums yet so don't worry, your eyesight is fine in that regard. I just haven't gotten around to posting in the other forums much yet. I'll get this knife out there I guess. I can see how the exposure could be a good thing.

Yes I do have a great teacher! And he puts up with my pestering very well. :)

Raymond Richard
09-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Peter, I thought you were off fishing. I keep forgetting your school starts a week early.