PDA

View Full Version : OHHH CRAP! Now what?

DLBrothers
08-23-2010, 01:18 PM
I just left a blade in the HT oven at 350deg overnight......like a dufus!:sad:

It is CTS 40cp. This was the second temper post cryo.

Did I ruin it??? I promised delivery on 9/8/10......

James Terrio
08-23-2010, 05:32 PM
I don't know anything about CTS 40cp, but...If the temp isn't too high, which it doesn't seem like 350F would be, I doubt the extra time would hurt anything. I'd worry more about the electric bill than the steel. Just be thankful it was a blade not a pizza! :D

stabber
08-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Not sure about your situation But, Very nice knives on your Website!!

murphda2
08-23-2010, 06:57 PM
If you really want to know the answer, I can send you the number to one of thier metalurgist that I met at the AG Russell Knife Event. I'm sure he could tell you the results.

joe levy
08-23-2010, 08:28 PM
It should not hurt it at all. You should see what tool steel does if it is left at 1850 for 27 hours.

BossDog
08-23-2010, 09:02 PM
if that is the temperature you wanted for your second tempering, there is no problem at all. You can temper for 2 weeks (at the proper temperature of course) if you like an it won't hurt a thing.

DLBrothers
08-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Thank you gentlemen! I was leaning that direction, nice to get some confirmation. I was sitting at my desk at work when it hit me like a bolt of lighting - I LEFT THE OVEN ON _AGHHHHH! I'm sure some of you can appreciate the shock factor involved with that....Luckily my wife was home and could turn it off.
Thanks again for easing my mind!

James - luckily my HT oven is 240v and over-insulated - holds heat TOO well, so maybe the bill won't give the same shock!
I just got the shipping confirmation from Auber Industries - I ordered a programmable timer that works with the PID - that should remedy one pitfall of my growing forgetfullness- getting old STINKS!

AND - Thank you Stabber for your kind comment!