PDA

View Full Version : o-1 stain resistance

Gahagan
08-20-2010, 10:33 AM
I am making a custom knife for my step father and it is mostly going to be a display piece. It is 6" wide a points and 12"long. I really cant afford a good stainless in this size byut have seen o1 in this size for a reasonable price. My question is how resistant to rust is o-1 I know it is a tool steel but will it hold up as a display piece with little care?

stabber
08-20-2010, 10:37 AM
As a display knife it should look as good as the day Made unless you live in a lighthouse off shore. The a little maintenance might be required

EdCaffreyMS
08-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Prior to putting it on display, I would recommend a good coat of automotive type paste wax.....that will do wonders for keeping it looking pristine.

James Terrio
08-20-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm sure Ed is right, put a coat of wax on it as soon as it's all polished up and nice and clean. Much like guitars, sometimes people worry a bit too much about knives going to heck in their living room or den. If the room is comfortable for you, temp and humidity-wise, it's probably just fine for a quality blade or instrument. Of course garages, basements and attics that may see wide fluctuations in temp and humidity are a much different story, and no one recommends storing a knife long-term in a leather sheath.

Squawsach
08-20-2010, 05:55 PM
I couple coats of wax to start with and coat again once a year should keep it shiny. If it gets handled, wipe it down to avoid fingerprints.

DLBrothers
08-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Wax is good, 01 is not stain resistant much at all. Light oil can work - may have to maintain it a little more often that with wax. I have noticed that the higher the polish on 01, the more it seems to resist corrosion. But this could be an artifact from the buffing wax....

Chris_Crawford
08-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Hey Gahagan,

I've pretty much been using O-1 exclusively since 2002. If heat treated properly, it's a great steel, holds an edge well, and will weather better than most people think.

I usually just polish my knives from time to time with a knife polish. As a test, I polished a knife up good, and decided I would not clean it for a year.

I carried it probably 3 or 4 days a week during that time without doing any cleaning on it. The one thing I did was wipe it off if it got something on it, but I did not use any type of polish or anything.

After about a year, the knife had a nice gray petina, but no rust. My knives have kind of a classic look, so the old looking blade didn't bother me at all.

After the year, I got out my knife polish, and polished it back it up. Save a few scratches, the blade looked good as new.

However, if you were going to put the knife up and not use it for long periods of time, I would put a good coat of wax on it like the other guys mentioned.

Hope this helped. -chris

http://www.chriscrawford.com/newsletters/images/Chris_Crawford_Knives_Line.JPG
Chris Crawford - Chris Crawford Knives
http://www.chriscrawford.com/newsletters/images/Chris_Crawford_Knives_Banner_for_Email.JPG (http://chriscrawfordknives.com)