PDA

View Full Version : Which Belt Grinder?

partsman430
08-14-2010, 09:00 AM
I am looking at 2 different grinders, a 1 inch belt or a 4 inch belt. Just wondering which is most common and more useful. Thanks.

Justin King
08-14-2010, 09:04 AM
The 1" is more commonly used in knifemaking than the 4", but neither is really ideal. The most common belt size used in knifemaking is 2" x72".

EdCaffreyMS
08-14-2010, 09:19 AM
+1 for a 2" X 72" grinder. Since it's the most common, belts are easier to come by, and will be available in a much wider array of grits and quality than either of the sizes you mentioned.

It's a balancing act ....trying to get the most machine for your money, but do yourself a favor. Save the money and by a "good" machine. By that I mean be prepared to pay $1,000-$2,000. I know that's a lot of money, but trust me, you will be disappointed in anything less if your going to make blades.

partsman430
08-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the advice, I"ll start looking today.

Doug Lester
08-14-2010, 11:31 AM
I differ a bit with Ed on grinders, though I must admit that I don't have near his expertice or experience. I have a Coote grinder and it has done everytihing that I have asked of it and it ran me about half of what a KMG would have cost me. I also made the aquaitance of a smith who earned both his Journeyman's and Master's stamps with two Grizzly grinders. However, this is going to have to be your choice. I would advise that you not try to adapt a wood working sander as a grinder. I did make the mistake of starting out with a 4X36" sander and getting grinding belts for it but, in the end, I found that files could do anything it could do and better and not that much slower. You will build up your arm muscles, however.

Doug Lester

Jeff Pearce
08-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Build your own .I used a set of tracy's plans .found here.
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/store/plans-for-the-no-weld-grinder-sander-nearly-50-pages-p-723.html?zenid=ed2f120f3385f3cb66e37017204e0f2d

To build mine.
http://KnifeDogs.com/gallery/files/2/5/g1_003600_x_451.jpg

Wayne Coe
08-14-2010, 12:08 PM
I have one of my Moe's Grinders for sale and ready to ship for $1,300.00. I met with the folks at Appalachian Center for the Craft yesterday and will be conducting a "Build a Belt Grinder" workshop in May 2011 there (Smithville, Tennessee).

Or like Jeff said, build your own grinder using Tracy's NWG plans for a guide. You can get the wheels etc from Tracy and motor chord, switch, VFD, etc from me. Check the threads I have started for more information.

LR Adkins
08-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Building your own is an option. I built mine using Tracy's plans as a guide. It was very easy to build and works great. Between Tracy and Wayne you can get every thing you need to complete it.

Larry

UncleBillyKnives
08-14-2010, 10:52 PM
i have a Kalamzoo 2x48 that i have been using but it is very limited in what it can be used for. I am in the process of making a NWG from Tracy's plan and a motor from Wayne. I cannot wait to get it up and going! If you build you own, these guys are great to work with!

UncleBilly

polarbearforge
08-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Another option on the build your own route, is a grinder in a box (http://www.polarbearforge.com/grinder_kit.html). It contains the steel needed for the frame of a grinder. Get the wheels from Tracy and the motor from Wayne, and you can have a solid grinder (that you built yourself).

Jamie

Keith Willis
08-15-2010, 10:25 AM
PM,as already been said,if you can,wait and build one yourself.
Tracy has plans for a 2x72.I built mine for less than $600
I used recycled steel and a used 1 1/2 hp motor,but it has been
all the grinder I need.Good luck,

God bless,Keith

Tectonic
08-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Being that I'm just starting to tinker around with this hobby; I just picked up a 1' Dremel belt sander. It does alright, thus far.. I'll probably have to upgrade to something better with speed options once I get the techniques on the grinder down.