PDA

View Full Version : First Time With Antler

Peter Killgore
08-10-2010, 01:38 PM
This is my first one I've done with antler for the handle and I like it! My favorite part of working with it was not having to do any shaping. On the other hand, getting the tang to fit in this was a little more difficult what with the curve. The blade is plow steel I got from my neighbor. Not sure on the exact make up of it but it has a TON of Carbon in it. When I ground this stuff it put out more sparks than anything else I've worked with yet. Came out of the heat treat looking rather interesting as well. When it's in the right light, it looks like it has three hamons on it. The one closest to the edge(also the faintest) is where I had the clay so I don't know how the other two got there. Fittings are wrought iron(and were a royal pain in the butt to fit and the fit could be better.....). Since I don't have a professional spa to dye my Elk Antler, I just used some black and brown leather dye to get this color. :D Tell me what you think.

Raymond Richard
08-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Peter, You don't need a professional spa like mine to color antler. :D When I first saw the thumbnail I thought I was looking at one of my knives. I bet I see more from you in stag now that you've done you first one. Glad to see you went with a through tang. Nice work!

Peter Killgore
08-10-2010, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE]When I first saw the thumbnail I thought I was looking at one of my knives.

That's quite the compliment! Thanks! It doesn't have the fit and finish of one of yours though. This one gave me a few problems that I'll be on the look out for next time.
As far as more in stag, I think it's for sure! I loved working with it and I love the way it looks.

wdtorque
08-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Well done. I the knife, shape, and layout. No surprise since I'm a big fan of Mr. Richard's work.
Dozier

Mark Behnke
08-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Great overall look. Compliments from R R.
Three hamons, and the dark antler, what more could you want.

I know what I'm gonna do when I light the forge.

LR Adkins
08-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Now that is a handsome knife.Yes it does have Ray's flare to it. In my opinion that's a good thing. Great job.

Larry

Peter Killgore
08-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all the kind words guys! Everyone on here is always so positive and it's really encouraging.
I should have the sheath finished up later today so I'll try to get some pics of that.

Eli Gautreaux
08-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Wow, very nice Peter!

Peter Killgore
08-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Here's a pic with the sheath. I went ahead and tried a molded pouch sheath this time around and I really liked doing that. It was far simpler for me to do than one with a snap and all that stuff. Fewer pieces to cut which I like. Any critique on my leather work is well appreciated by the way. I need A LOT of help with my leather. I think having done this style of sheath now, I'll be more willing to do sheaths and(hopefully)get better at them. I've always considered them a pain but this one was rather enjoyable to be honest.