PDA

View Full Version : Eli made me do it

Raymond Richard
09-14-2009, 02:51 PM
I had a great weekend doing the show but the best part was getting to spend some time with Eli. My first contact with Eli was through forums and I got to know him better when he purchased a few knives which always seems to help. :D I'd invited him to come do Blade West with me and he was able to get it on his calender and do it. Eli also wanted to see my shop and I had told him we'd spend some time out there. While Eli was near one of my forges he'd happen to spot a piece of rebar I had started to forge a ball on to and asked what I was going to do with it. I told him I couldn't remember. Anyway that same piece of rebar caught my eye and this is what I have so far. I still need to do a little more forging on it but something was smoking under the forge so I stopped to put it out.

Eli and I spent sometime talking about rebar knives while we were at the show. Eli was wondering if I could do something a little fancier with the rebar. Ken Hurst came to mind. He's been after me for several months wanting me to make something he could engrave so this is going to be the project. I called Ken a little bit ago to see if this would be something he'd be interested in. He's said it sounds like beauty and the beast. He said he'd sure like to do it. I told them there still a chance I can screw things but its a go so far.

Here's some pictures I have taken along the way.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1473.JPG

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1478.JPG

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1479.JPG

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1485.JPG

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1486.JPG

Eli Gautreaux
09-14-2009, 03:39 PM
I am excited about this one Ray --- I think this will be fun to watch unfold.

One thing does alarm me in this pic ---- why are your pants off??? :eek:

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1485.JPG

Ken Hurst
09-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Boy Ray, this piece is going to be a piece of work. I have sent you an email re. some design ideas I have regarding things that can be done to capture both the beauty & beast concept. IE. Forming the ball into many equal flats & forming the top (end of pummel) into a slight oval. This would allow for many repeat patterns that will surround the ball and also for an interesting top pattern all with gold borders if agreeded. I'd like to see a sharp line where the plunge (demarcation) begins so I can develop a scroll pattern that will travel along the spline towards the point. Another idea is, don't etch your name on blade. If spline is thick enough, I can inlay a gold ribbon and engrave your name there. Oh yeah, the flats of the handle can be brought to a high polish and I could do a nice scroll pattern within an oval that has a gold border --- this is no biggie BUT, what if I sculped all the scroll in high relief whereas all the leaves were cupped & rolling ? I could just go on and on however, lets hear what others think of the ideas . Boy oh boy oh boy, this could turn into something really eye catching !

stabber
09-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Hmmm, Very cool Ray. What steel is Re-Bar?

Eli Gautreaux
09-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Ken, all of the above sound awesome!

Would it be actually carriable once engraved? I've been carrying a little rebar knife from Ray IWB, and the flats of the handle end us pressed against skin, so I have to be very careful about corrosion.

Raymond Richard
09-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Hmmm, Very cool Ray. What steel is Re-Bar?

Ricky, I've done many knives out of rebar over the years. I'll say its not the best but its a heck of a lot better than most think. I did have a piece tested a few years back and it was right around .40 carbon with every other alloy under the sun. I had done some chopping with one of the larger blades and it held up real well. I chopped threw 2 seasoned birch branches that were about 5" thick and the edge still shaved. It blew me away but I'm pretty easily impressed plus and I have real thin hair. Also the rebar that I am using now was gathered off of jobs I worked on back in the 90's. I've also heard an awful lot of railroad track is recycled into rebar. Most of that I hear is 1080. I don't think this piece when it is all done will ever be used anyway.

Ken, let me return your call. Lucky I just stopped forging on it when I did. I just widened the handle a bit more and was getting ready to do more forging on the blade but stopped to get the camera.

Eli, Lets hope this knife survives and doesn't make me alter my plan.

Raymond Richard
09-14-2009, 04:59 PM
I am excited about this one Ray --- I think this will be fun to watch unfold.

One thing does alarm me in this pic ---- why are your pants off??? :eek:

Those pants are waiting for the 40's. I'll have them on in another month. unsure

stabber
09-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Very cool Ray! Thanks for the info2thumbs

Peter Killgore
09-14-2009, 06:06 PM
That is looking too cool Ray.cool 1 I like the whole handle design with the ball and how the ribs from the rebar are still on there. Will you leave those ribs on the handle or will they come off? If they stay on, and if it's do able, I think it would look really neat with some scroll work or a vine/leaf pattern or whatever engraved on those ribs. Anyways, that's my idea.

Mike Barton
09-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Ray,

You really are a man of inspiring ideas. That is a great looking knife, and it's only rough forged! Simple and elegant. :)

What diameter and length was the rebar piece you started with?

What are the dimensions of the blade right now?

Thanks,

Mike

Raymond Richard
09-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Ray,

You really are a man of inspiring ideas. That is a great looking knife, and it's only rough forged! Simple and elegant. :)

What diameter and length was the rebar piece you started with?

What are the dimensions of the blade right now?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, I started with number 6 bar, 3/4" diameter and it was about 7" in length. I've got all the hand forging done on the blade and handle except for the ball. I'm not sure if I want to try forging an octagon or grind one. At least there's only one ball with a chance of being none. :D You can't tell from the picture but I did forge in an upper bevel. Mister Grinder was used for about 15 seconds to clean up the choil. Everything else was done with hand held hammers. On the rebar it use to come in different grades. The rebar I used is 60 grade and made in the USA at least 15 years ago. Right now the whole knife is 14" with a 7 1/2" blade.

Peter, I plan to leave the ribs of the rebar on the handle.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1489.JPG

Ken Hurst
09-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Ray, on second thought And after looking at the ball end, don't make any flats on the ball as I will here in the shop with a file. Please be sure that the ball and neck of same are in perfect alignment with the center of the handle please ---- I've got some ideas for this area 2thumbs.

Raymond Richard
09-15-2009, 12:07 PM
About to go fishing. Not going to get much knife work done today but I won't come back unless I get a 50 pound'er. 2thumbs I will settle for two 25 pound'ers.

Jeff Pearce
09-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Good luck fishing...Great knife build....2thumbs

stabber
09-15-2009, 12:25 PM
:eek:Damm Ray, You Forge it to a nicer shape than I would Grind it:D2thumbs

Raymond Richard
09-15-2009, 12:40 PM
:eek:Damm Ray, You Forge it to a nicer shape than I would Grind it:D2thumbs

Thanks Ricky! The forging is when and where I design a blade. Don't ask me to draw you anything. Writing my name is a problem also. Give me a hammer and I'll beat it into shape. Often times while I'm forging the hammering is so good that the hammer turns into a pencil and then I can draw. :D

I need to hit the Salmon Road........

Ken Hurst
09-15-2009, 12:56 PM
And, obviously you Do draw well2thumbs ......

Peter Killgore
09-15-2009, 05:10 PM
About to go fishing. Not going to get much knife work done today but I won't come back unless I get a 50 pound'er. 2thumbs I will settle for two 25 pound'ers.

Hope you catch a big 'un. Let me know how it goes. I've heard it's been slow but with the rain last night, I hope that cools the water and ups the bight.
I wanna see some pics of that 50 pound'er your gonna catch2thumbs

Raymond Richard
09-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Hope you catch a big 'un. Let me know how it goes. I've heard it's been slow but with the rain last night, I hope that cools the water and ups the bight.
I wanna see some pics of that 50 pound'er your gonna catch2thumbs

Peter, I got hammered twice but by the time I got the rod out of the holder they were both off. Bad enough having that happen once but twice is hard to take. Out of the 4 of us we did have two 25 pound kings on the boat. Much better than last week. I don't think we got any hits till late afternoon. We back trolled on the Washington side across from the Sandy River inlet. Got pretty warm out on the river today.

RAGUEL3
09-15-2009, 10:06 PM
That will hopefully turn out beautifully. has a n almost Persian feel at present.

Raymond Richard
09-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Ken, I knew you would change your mind on the ball end. :D I forged it into an octagon. Please don't expect 8 equal sections. unsure I think it will work. I was wanting to spend some time of this blade yesterday but I had other things to do plus a day or so of of hand forging takes me at least a day to recover. The worst thing about forging a blade so close to final shape is getting it eyeball straight. I try to stop things from twisting and bending but its just going to happen. I do believe the blade is straight now so as soon as it cools off I plan to turn Mr Grinder lose. I did make a pattern from this blade so you'll be seeing it somemore in the future.

Ken Hurst
09-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Okay Mr. ray --- I'll be waiting for it & and anxious to see more pictures of this piece as all are.

Raymond Richard
09-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Okay Mr. ray --- I'll be waiting for it & and anxious to see more pictures of this piece as all are.

Ken, Even after I thought it was straight it was not. Its still not but I'm pretty sure I can remove a slight bend while I'm doing the tempering without have two pieces. I'll see what happens.

I was able to straighten out this Blade! I had it in the oven for about an hour and just couldn't wait any longer so I took it out and ground it and then did a quick etch. Just what I was wanting even though it was the forth try with the torch. I'll grind the upper bevel later after it finishes in the oven. So far so good! It was ground with just a 50 grit belt. I was seeing the temperline before the etch. I've tried clay several times on these rebar blades and there is hardly anything to see.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1492.JPG

Eli Gautreaux
09-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Woohoo, looking good gentlemen!

Ken Hurst
09-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Looks like it's beginning to develope a personality --- I'm looking forward to getting it 1

Raymond Richard
09-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Looks like it's beginning to develope a personality --- I'm looking forward to getting it 1

I took the afternoon off. Heading about 60 miles east of where we live to go check out some acreage we have. I kept hearing about a bad fire in that general area a couple weeks ago. Now I'm wondering where the heck the fire was. Saw no evidence of the fire but do feel better knowing things are okedoeke there.

Peter Killgore
09-17-2009, 09:09 PM
That thar knife is looking gooooood!!!!2thumbs

Lorien
09-17-2009, 10:07 PM
rebar never looked so good!2thumbs

RAGUEL3
09-18-2009, 01:53 AM
Knife lookin good,.. and glad all your timber is still standing and green :)

Fiddleback
09-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Man, its beautiful Ray.

Alden Sherrodd
09-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Ray, that is going to be a cool knife! I find much more interest in things that combine the rustic with the elegant. The reuse of "found objects" adds more interest than using new steel. The lines of your knives are always sleek.
I can't wait to see the finished project after Ken does his part.2thumbs

Alden

Raymond Richard
09-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Ray, that is going to be a cool knife! I find much more interest in things that combine the rustic with the elegant. The reuse of "found objects" adds more interest than using new steel. The lines of your knives are always sleek.
I can't wait to see the finished project after Ken does his part.2thumbs

Alden

I've always enjoyed making knives out of materials that most won't bother with. I guess I find it more challenging. I'm still in the design stages with this knife. I am also interested to see what Ken comes up with.

Ken Hurst
09-18-2009, 01:32 PM
I can't wait to see the finished product that Ray sends .............

Raymond Richard
09-19-2009, 05:03 PM
I started out today wanting to work on this project and I did get a start by forging out some wrought iron wagon wheel that I plan to use on this knife. I then got side tracked. I ended up moving my two anvils and the forge to a different area. Remember all anvils need to point to magnetic north.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1495.JPG

The new look.
http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1496.JPG

Stuart Willis
09-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Ray, I really am enjoying this thread. I share your passion for using things that must people think are junk 2thumbs

Eli Gautreaux
09-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Looking good Ray, but how do you move the anvils??? Don't tell me you get Jackie out there helping you, lol...

Raymond Richard
09-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Looking good Ray, but how do you move the anvils??? Don't tell me you get Jackie out there helping you, lol...

I got one of those red dolly's with the big tires from Harbor Freight. Other than having to put air in the tires it makes moving anvils pretty simple. I didn't have to ask Jackie for help this time. :D

Raymond Richard
09-21-2009, 11:25 AM
The reason I forged out the piece of wagon wheel a few days ago was to make scales for this knife. At first I didn't plan for any scales but I think it needs it. I'm still working on the shape of the scales and there placement in this photo. Everything is pretty close but I can tell from this photo I need to remove more from the width at the front of the scale.

Ken, Would you like the scales lose or attached? Please let me know what will work best for you. When I'm done with the scales they will be totally contoured.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1504.JPG

Raymond Richard
09-22-2009, 09:12 PM
I spent most the day fishing on the Columbia River. 15 mile per hour wind blowing through our hair for 6 hours without a bite. After I got home I ground the rebar blade and did my first hand rub on it. I've changed my mind on what I had for the handle. It just didn't look right to me so I need to rethink the handle design. This is the first slab handle I have done in years.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1509.JPG

Ken Hurst
09-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Mr. ray ---- Whatever style scales you choose is your decision But, please clamp them down tightly and deeply scribe around them so I'll have a frame of reference when it comes to the gold inlay & scroll pattern. I'll give you a call tomorrow re. this subject. Ken

Eli Gautreaux
09-23-2009, 05:44 AM
http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1509.JPG

Looking good Ray!

TomMegow
09-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Mr Ray any up-dates??

Billy Stewart
09-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Awesome Ray cant wait to see this one done!!!!2thumbs

Peter Killgore
09-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Hey Ray, have you done any more on the handle scales yet?

Raymond Richard
09-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Hey Ray, have you done any more on the handle scales yet?

Peter, The first set of scales I made to small so I made another set that were perfect until I screwed one up with the grinder. I maybe able to fix it but right now these spearheads have gotten my attention. Been working on number 4 today. May have pictures later tonight.

Ken Hurst
10-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Ray --- Eli's re-bar knife arrived this morning. Just wanted to let you know. Amasing --- it looks better than the picture (above) shows.

Eli Gautreaux
10-10-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm really excited, along with everyone else, to see what you come up with Ken!

Raymond Richard
10-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Ray --- Eli's re-bar knife arrived this morning. Just wanted to let you know. Amasing --- it looks better than the picture (above) shows.

Ken, Please don't break you magic wand working on this one! Now I'm getting excited!

Raymond Richard
10-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Ken Hurst has had the piece of rebar now for a few days. This is the first time that I have seen one of my knives with engraving on it. I'm liking it! Great Job Ken! Can't wait to see if with the stag scales...... I'm the one that scratched on the A.......

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_0306.jpg

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_0310.jpg

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_0311.jpg

Lorien
10-28-2009, 09:55 PM
SWEET!!!

Peter Killgore
10-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Now that is some beautiful engraving. You are amazing at what you do Mr. Hurst. ( not that I don't love your A Ray lol)

Peter Killgore
11-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Anything going on with this knife lately?

Raymond Richard
11-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Anything going on with this knife lately?

Peter, I do have the knife now. Ken got it sent off a few days ago. Eli will be here Monday night or Tuesday morning so I'll have him open the box since he has never seen it. Most likely we'll get a handle on it while Eli is here.

Peter Killgore
11-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Ray, did you get a finished picture of this knife(or maybe I should ask if it's finished yet:D)

Phil Dwyer
11-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Ya, what he said... Or should we be asking Eli?

Allen Newberry
11-16-2009, 09:45 AM
That's one fancy piece of rebar!

Raymond Richard
11-16-2009, 11:01 AM
OK, I'm actually waiting for some warmer temps in the shop plus I'm still not sure what I'm going to use. Been thinking a piece of MOP would look good. With past experience I always seem to find myself doing more forging and very little finish work this time of year. I find 40's just right for forging but can't feel my fingers to do finish work. Once we have our first freeze and it starts to warm up 40's start feeling warmer. Before then its down right cold.

Don't worry, Peter won't let me forget.......

Do I need anymore excuses?

Phil Dwyer
11-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Here's a good one...

The adhesives won't set properly at the low temps!

Raymond Richard
11-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Here's a good one...

The adhesives won't set properly at the low temps!

Phil, That's a goodone! I'll try and remember it.

Usually one of the first things I hear when someone new comes to my shop is, what are you going to do with all those blades. Me and finishing knives is not a new problem. I'd say for every ten finished blades maybe 3 will turn into knives. The others just take a number and wait for there turn. There's a pretty long line. This one won't take to long. I figure by the first of next year it will be complete. I should just have Peter finish it up. :D Now that's an idea. All these cute little dog things and not a light bulb to be found. What's with that. :confused:

Peter Killgore
11-16-2009, 10:16 PM
An idea yes. Whether or not it's a good one is a different story. I can always depend on myself to screw a knife up right when I'm putting the scales on it and either have to resand the blade or get a new set of scales. I'll let you finish this one Ray, and I'll try to not bug you too much:D. Have you thought about black lip pearl?

Peter Killgore
12-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Phil, That's a goodone! I'll try and remember it.

Usually one of the first things I hear when someone new comes to my shop is, what are you going to do with all those blades. Me and finishing knives is not a new problem. I'd say for every ten finished blades maybe 3 will turn into knives. The others just take a number and wait for there turn. There's a pretty long line. This one won't take to long. I figure by the first of next year it will be complete. I should just have Peter finish it up. :D Now that's an idea. All these cute little dog things and not a light bulb to be found. What's with that. :confused:

Ray, the first of the year is coming up quick you know. ;) That reminds me, I have two knives and sheathes that have to be done before Christmas :eek:

Raymond Richard
12-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Ray, the first of the year is coming up quick you know. ;) That reminds me, I have two knives and sheathes that have to be done before Christmas :eek:

Peter, I almost bought some abalone scales while I was in Tokyo. I wish I had now. Maybe I might just order them. Not much desire to be out in the shop unless I have the forge lit.

Peter Killgore
12-24-2012, 08:57 PM
So....after three years...: ) I'm pretty sure I saw this one thill on the wall when I was over at your shop a few weeks ago. You ever gonna finish it for Eli?

ddavelarsen
12-25-2012, 04:50 AM
Wow, this is the first I've known of this project - how did that happen!? Ray, the pics of Mr Hurst's engraving are gone now. Can you repost the pics? I'm dying to see this beauty. And I'm curious too - what the heck is going on getting this sweet project finished! You might need a little Christmas spanking to get things moving again... LOL!

By the way - Have a Merry and Blessed Christmas everyone! I hope it's a joyful day for you all.

Raymond Richard
12-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Its on my bucket list.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_0306.jpg

ddavelarsen
12-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Man that's beautiful work! Wish I could even imagine that pattern, much less actually engrave it. Awesome. Awesome knife too Ray, HINT! Bucket list doesn't mean you have to wait until you're on your death bed to DO SOMETHING! LOL!

Waiting on Christmas dinner, then gift exchange. I'm gonna make a haul, and there are some surprises for others too. :)

Peter Killgore
12-25-2012, 10:11 PM
I still like your "A" Ray. : )

rhinoknives
12-26-2012, 03:50 AM
Those pants are waiting for the 40's. I'll have them on in another month. unsure

Ray,
I am impressed with what you have done with the Re-Bar. I never would have thought it would have been worth working into a knife at all? It's also great hearing about your fishing expeditions, I love fresh fish and where you catch it yourself it's even better!
But there is TMI here about why your pants are off!:58::s7426::s12137:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com