PDA

View Full Version : First Since Trip

Peter Killgore
07-19-2010, 08:37 PM
I just finished this one. It's my first knife that I've finished since I returned from Haiti. It would have been done sooner but being gone for three weeks kinda limits what you can get done on something you have to leave at home(funny how that works). The blade is forged from a piece of a Ford leaf spring. The handle is Maple burl with a Cocobolo spacer and the fittings are wrought iron. Tell me what you think.

http://knifedogs.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11386&d=1279589810

Jeff Pearce
07-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Looks great...That's the best looking Ford I have ever seen.....

Raymond Richard
07-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Peter, Looking good! The guard is a little more than whats needed. You sure got it together fast.

Peter Killgore
07-19-2010, 10:50 PM
I wondered if the guard was a bit much. Should I have bent it back more or just made it shorter? Like every knife, it's a learning experience. I learned a lot from this one.

Thanks for the compliments!

Raymond Richard
07-19-2010, 11:44 PM
I wondered if the guard was a bit much. Should I have bent it back more or just made it shorter? Like every knife, it's a learning experience. I learned a lot from this one.

Thanks for the compliments!

Peter, I think it would be better if it were half the size of what you have.

mofretwell
07-20-2010, 01:51 AM
Peter,

Nice work. I LOVE that curly maple handle. Great piece of wood, and great shape too. Be sure to show us the sheath when you make it.

I cut my hand very severely one year while hunting. Was using a knife without a guard, and my wet hand slipped down onto the razor sharp blade. Since then, I have always looked for knives with guards. I love the wrought iron for guards and fittings. Don't exactly know why, but it appeals to my senses more than brass, nickel, blued, or stainless. Its a personal preference. Part of why I love Ray's knives.

Have you got yourself an etcher yet so you can put your name on the knives?

Peter Killgore
07-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Peter,

Nice work. I LOVE that curly maple handle. Great piece of wood, and great shape too. Be sure to show us the sheath when you make it.

I cut my hand very severely one year while hunting. Was using a knife without a guard, and my wet hand slipped down onto the razor sharp blade. Since then, I have always looked for knives with guards. I love the wrought iron for guards and fittings. Don't exactly know why, but it appeals to my senses more than brass, nickel, blued, or stainless. Its a personal preference. Part of why I love Ray's knives.

Have you got yourself an etcher yet so you can put your name on the knives?

Thanks for the compliment! I always get lot's of encouragement on here. Makes me think I'm maybe doing something right.:D I was really pleased to see how that handle turned out. I bought the burl a few years ago and it's still in its rough cut form so I got to see it develop through the finishing stages without knowing what to expect when I started.

I have an etcher that I built but have yet to finish it. Still have to get a scrap of stainless for the etching pad and then get a stencil. I'll get around to it one of these days.:rolleyes:

wdtorque
07-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Nice knife Peter. Well Done. Ray is probably correct about the guard size, but I have to admit I didn't notice it when I first looked at the knife. Even said, "self, why didn't you notice that" but it is really not fair for me to compare my amateurish gaze to Ray's experienced eye. Anyway, I like it. Dozier

Eli Gautreaux
07-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Wow Peter, that's very nice work. I'm happy for your great forward progress. Man, I'm in the dust still, I can barely get one put together, much less build something elegant like that. Keep it up bud, you're doing great!

Raymond Richard
07-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Wow Peter, that's very nice work. I'm happy for your great forward progress. Man, I'm in the dust still, I can barely get one put together, much less build something elegant like that. Keep it up bud, you're doing great!

Eli, Got to remember Peter was in Hatti for 3 weeks. 100 degree plus temps and humidity to match. Today at 2:30 PM my shop was 64 degrees. Peter is doing this work to get warm. He really is doing a great job!

Peter Killgore
07-21-2010, 12:21 AM
It's amazing how fast the body adapts to a climate. I'm having to get used to being home where we have these arctic winds! It was 50 degrees in our house this morning which is colder than my aunt and uncle's fridge on a hot day! So yes, I have to work to stay warm. Unfortunately I just ran out of propane.shkn
Gets cold without the forge running. I got a lot of forging done though in the time I had!;)

ddavelarsen
07-21-2010, 04:28 AM
Looking good Peter! I love those lines, and your handle pulls it out nicely. For what it's worth, I'm okay with the guard, though it's one of those things where you can take some off if you decide to. Putting it back is a bear. :) That thing just turns me on, it's clean as a whistle. I'm looking forward to your leatherwork too! Keep us posted.

Peter Killgore
07-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Finished the sheath up today. I don't like doing sheaths so it takes me a while to get motivated enough to do one. Here's what I came up with. It's not exactly how I'd hoped it would turn out but it holds the knife. That's what counts right?

Raymond Richard
07-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Peter, I've got several knives in need of sheaths. After you get done with mine you'll be and expert. :D