PDA

View Full Version : Show us your award(s) Ray!

Bruce Bump
09-13-2009, 09:51 PM
I saw elsewhere you won something Ray. Congrats!
What did you win? How was the show?

Raymond Richard
09-14-2009, 12:23 AM
I saw elsewhere you won something Ray. Congrats!
What did you win? How was the show?

Tell me how you did first? Did you win any awards? I won Best Bowie. To many ABS Mastersmiths for me to win more than one award. My prediction for a late feeding frenzy did happen. Sold 2 or 3 knives in the final hour of the show today. I had one sale Saturday so I was 25 bucks in the black. Things were looking up. I did have a good time all 3 days! This is the knife that won: http://www.hawknknives.com/main_pages/ukids.html

Bruce Bump
09-14-2009, 12:45 AM
Congrats on the bowie award Ray. I was outclassed in Chicago as far as awards anyway. I sold a couple but didnt get into the black ink. I felt naked without a gun/knife there. It seems thats what I'm known for. I brought home the dagger but its sold to my New York connection. I had it sold before we left Walla2 but he said I could show it and mark it up if somebody had to have it.

Karl B. Andersen
09-14-2009, 06:31 AM
Congratulations, Ray.
My hat is off to you.

Raymond Richard
09-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Congrats on the bowie award Ray. I was outclassed in Chicago as far as awards anyway. I sold a couple but didnt get into the black ink. I felt naked without a gun/knife there. It seems thats what I'm known for. I brought home the dagger but its sold to my New York connection. I had it sold before we left Walla2 but he said I could show it and mark it up if somebody had to have it.

I missed you not being at Blade West but it did help my odds on winning the bowie award!

I've taken a different approach with the shows now. I only do the ones I can drive to and that's only the ones were they are only a few hours away. Keeps show cost down and not so much red to make up. I also go to have fun and visit. Sales are nice but not all that important to me now that it I don't have such a deep hole to come out of. It does help that I'm kind of retired also. :D I did invite a customer and friend of mine Eli, to stay at my place and then come to the show with me. That alone made this show very worth while to me. I had a good time!

A couple weeks ago I decided to do something with the awards that I had stacked up in my bedroom. I thought I had found the perfect place out in my pole barn shop. There was one flat 2X6 that had been used above a door and a window opening that would work just right. Great all I had to do was set them up there and forget them. It worked great until a breeze slammed the door shut and half of the awards fell down. I spotted a nice new 2X4 and I had some brackets. Now I got a trophy shelf.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_1476.JPG

Bruce Bump
09-14-2009, 06:46 PM
16 awards! Not bad. If you get one more you need another shelf. :D Is that your photo studio in the loft? I hope you dont have beer up there, you'll fall off the ladder.

I like your thinking on the local shows. We spent just over $1000 on airline tickets and another $900 on the hotel, not to mention the table, transportation and food etc etc. It was fun though.

Raymond Richard
09-14-2009, 11:00 PM
16 awards! Not bad. If you get one more you need another shelf. :D Is that your photo studio in the loft? I hope you dont have beer up there, you'll fall off the ladder.

I like your thinking on the local shows. We spent just over $1000 on airline tickets and another $900 on the hotel, not to mention the table, transportation and food etc etc. It was fun though.

Bruce, Did you get a chance to see Chicago other than the show? Most likely not. All knife shows look pretty much the same once your inside. Don't matter where you are except for Atlanta. Both the state shows I have done this year I did good at with sales. I had my best sales for Blade West this year. All at the end of the show, the last couple hours. I'm going to do the Tacoma Show next month. Its real slow but I have always left in the black.

Bruce Bump
09-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Kaye and I took a stroll down the Magnificent Mile on Michigan Ave. one night and down the Navy Pier the next evening. It was a beautiful sight from the pier. Chicago is georgous to see. The deep dish pizza is good too.