PDA

View Full Version : Eb o ny and I vo ry

Raymond Richard
06-27-2010, 12:11 PM
This is what I've been working on. Always wanted to do a knife with ebony and ivory and now I have done one. Still some more finishing to do on it but its real close to being finished. The ebony is the black spacers and the rest of the handle is walrus ivory. More saw steel and 99% sure that this blade is L-6. Should have it done later tonight. Modern iron for the fittings.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2443.JPG

murphda2
06-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Looks great Ray. I'm really likeing these last couple you've posted. Nice work.

Denny Eller
06-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks for another real looker, Ray. You sure make purty knives.

wdtorque
06-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Great looking unit Ray. Coulda told me it fell off a sailing ship 200 years ago and I'd have believed it. Outstanding. Dozier

Eli Gautreaux
06-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Ohh Ray, I really LOVE the ebony / ivory contrast ---- so nice!

LR Adkins
06-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Ebony and ivory, nice combination on that knife. Quite a change from your usual and it's well executed. Great job Ray.

Larry

Raymond Richard
06-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Ended up working in the yard for most the day and finally got around to finishing off this piece. The blade is 5" with a double bevel. 9 1/2" overall.

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2446.JPG

http://www.hawknknives.com/forums/IMG_2450.JPG

mofretwell
06-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Simply awesome, Ray! A beautiful knife. And I love that bog-oak background you have it on. 2thumbs

Robert Mayo
06-29-2010, 05:36 AM
Ray like you always told me the grinder is our friend! Great work on these scandi's i love the look of this knife keep em coming buddy!!

Bob

Lorien
07-04-2010, 11:33 AM
I love Raymond Richard knives and I love practical using knives and what can I say, I'm in love!2thumbs

Dusty One
07-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Wow I like these. Are you putting any of these on your web site for sale ?

Raymond Richard
07-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Wow I like these. Are you putting any of these on your web site for sale ?

I still need to make sheaths for the new ones. Been dragging my heels. Nothing new for the website yet.

ddavelarsen
07-23-2010, 08:32 AM
That's another beauty Ray! You sure got the eye. What I need to know is how you fit the front 'guard' to the blade when there's no ricasso. That's a mystery to me. :) Is the tang the same double tapered shape as the blade? How does that work?

Raymond Richard
07-23-2010, 01:19 PM
That's another beauty Ray! You sure got the eye. What I need to know is how you fit the front 'guard' to the blade when there's no ricasso. That's a mystery to me. :) Is the tang the same double tapered shape as the blade? How does that work?

Dave, I end up making a small rectangular hole and then I peen it in with a small ball peen hammer. End up grinding the face of the fitting almost flat and then put it back on the tang and mark where I need to move it more. When I get it done the tang hole resembles a skinny diamond shape. Pretty time consuming but the only way I can make it work. Having a ricasso makes it much easier but you know how much I don't care for that look. With all my other knives since I don't do the ricasso I've had to resort to the same procedure except the tang hole resembles a wedge but a lot easier than these double bevel blades.

Good question! Hope what I wrote explains it to you OK.

ddavelarsen
07-24-2010, 04:03 AM
So to make sure I understand Ray, you peen around the slot to narrow it and sacrifice some of the thickness of the guard to clean the peening up?

Raymond Richard
07-24-2010, 10:02 AM
So to make sure I understand Ray, you peen around the slot to narrow it and sacrifice some of the thickness of the guard to clean the peening up?

Dave, That's it. You really don't lose much thickness.

Peter Killgore
07-24-2010, 11:43 AM
A truly great trick if you ask me. :D

Raymond Richard
07-24-2010, 11:48 AM
A truly great trick if you ask me. :D

Peter, That's the only trick I have in my bag.

ddavelarsen
07-24-2010, 02:13 PM
If that's a trick, it sure works great. Thanks Ray, you've solved yet another quandary. :)

Travis Fry
08-10-2010, 09:56 PM
I love it! Kinda scandi with a little kindjal or jambiya thrown in. If you did another with a double bevel blade like this ebony and ivory one, and a handle like the one in the picture below that I copied over from your website, it'd be the nicest persian pesh kabz I can imagine. I've been dreaming of making one forever, but am too backed up on orders to give it a shot. Thanks for the re-inspiration!

http://www.hawknknives.com/knives/knife-EbonyPrince.jpg