Your Thoughts?

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Hi Gang!

As some of you know, the Bosie, ID show (Rocky Mountain Knife Show) is coming up in late Oct. I will be attending this show, and looking forward to it being even better than last year.

Recently I received an email from the show promoter, asking me to consider taking part in what they are calling a "Knife Performance Challenge". After reading the "tasks" slated for this event, and considering it, I will have to pass. (you can see the "tasks" on the right hand side of this page: http://www.rockymountainknifeshow.com/KnifePerformanceChallenge.aspx)

After thinking about, I can understand that they are trying to promote custom knives as "users", but what troubles me is that after reading the list of tasks, many of them are specific things that most knifemakers warn customer NOT to do with a knife, and I do not know of any custom knifemaker who would warranty/repair/replace a knife if a customer were to tell them that they had punched it through a steel drum, opened a tin can, chopped wire, used it as a screwdriver, or intentionally dropped it point first on concrete.
My thought is that if a knifemaker did those things in a public venue, it would be like telling customers/potential customers that it's OK to do those things with a knife....and might even imply that the knife/knives would be warrantied for such things.

Am I over reacting here? Does anybody else see the the potential for grief down the road when a customer wrecks the point of a blade by using it for a screwdriver, then wants it repaired/replaced because they saw the knifemaker doing it in a public venue?
My first instinct when I read the "tasks" scheduled for this event was to show up with my tool belt, with a pair of "dikes", and crowbar, wire cutters, a Phillips and straight screwdriver, and a can opener, along with one of my knives, and go through it using the proper tool for the job....but I suspect about the time I buckled on my tool belt, I'd get thrown out. :)

I agree with you on this. A knife is no different from any other tool...each has it's intended use. If they wanted to promote knives as users, they should design their exhibition around things that a knife should be used for.

Wow, interesting competition. It could be a little a awkward, because you may not be able to step back and just participate for fun. Maybe take a few 'tactical' style knives for the table. Looks like they are expecting some mall ninja, SOF wannabes:les:.

:biggrin:, Craig

Am I over reacting here?

No. I think that sort of challenge is irresponsible, unless it's meant specifically for knives that are built for that sort of thing.

Many of their test are quite reasonable, and should give a decent idea of a knife's cutting ability. But puncturing oil drums and turning screws is just dumb. Are they just trying to get a kick out of watching people break expensive knives? :D

Last edited:
You don't pound nails with a saw or miter joints with a ball peen hammer - why use a cutting tool to open cans? I have never been attacked by a 55 gallon steel barrel nor have I ever wanted to ambush one. I think someone has seen one cutting contest and a bunch of Cold Steel videos and decided to re-invent the wheel. Any idiot knows you don't use a hunting knife as a screwdriver, you use a butter knife - just ask my wife.

"alternate life style pliers
"

Took me a while to figure out what you were saying there! Never even considered that double meaning of the word "dikes".....to me it's a wire cutting tool. Does this mean I'm gona get kicked out for not being Politically Correct? :)

Maybe the promoter should demo this with a knife first.

I can't see subjecting a finely finished knife to that treatment.

ernie

You're absolutely right Ed.
This can only lead to unrealistic requests from unknowledgable customers who saw "it" done or heard that "it" had been done. Most knife buyers know better, but there will always be those who don't. One knife couldn't possibly meet all those requirements reliably. Maybe you should just bring a Gerber multi-tool and a hammer.

Rudy

I think your initial reaction is spot on Ed. Very few of those tasks actually involve cutting and several are outright abuse. I would pass on being any part of that.

Those "events" sound like what we would do with our Buck 110's before lunch as maintenance electricians. Not stuff you do to a knife you paid for or care about. It would be more interesting if they made 10 of same knife out of different steels and treatments and showed the performance characteristics of each for benefit of all.

I got an email from the promoter, and my points about this challenge were well taken. I appreciate that very much. He also asked if I could compile a list of what I considered realistic events, while still having some "theatrics".
Honestly, I can come up with all kinds of what I consider valid cutting tests/tasks, but as far as "theatrics" go, my only idea would be to hang up a hog carcass, with the hide still on it, and have participants skin and "butcher" 1/4 of the hog.
I also mentioned that I think the event would be a much more realistic "challenge" if a third party were to go to individual participants tables, and randomly select the knife that the maker would use to perform the tasks.....this would take the "making a special knife for a special purpose(s)" out of the equation, and in many ways would be a real challenge for some makers! I doubt that would ever fly though. :)

Ed,
Why not ask the promoter to do something more like the cutting competitions? Something that would show what these knives are capable of without promoting stupidity. Explain to them while it is a good idea to show potential buyers that these knives are built better with better quality, skill, and materials, it is not such a good idea to show how to destroy a custom made knife, not only is it NOT covered by anyones warranty it is also dangerous to the average person.

Do know there will be some that will not only make a tank of a blade to demo this, there will be some promoting their blades will stand up to anything, until they go broke, fixing/replacing (or not honoring a warranty) the knives they sold, they will then either let folks know not to abuse a knife, they will also do away with any kind of warranty. Explain to the show promoters that Custom Knife Makers do warranty their work and promoting these types of "tests" would be like telling them it's OK to do it themselves. Also that it is potentially dangerous to do some of these type cutting demo's, it maybe possible for them to explain to everyone there that the demo is considered ABUSE and is not warrantied by the maker, if they do it, they will be the proud owner of a broken knife!

In my opinion, the cons out weigh the pros in this challenge. What do you get if you pass all these "tests", to say your knife handled being abused? some cons that I can think of are: you may damage a very expensive knife that you worked very hard on. If some damage occurs during the unrealistic abuse that a knife was not designed to hold up to, there will be someone who will think less of the makers knives, whether correct or not. You have worked to hard to risk your reputation on knife abuse. You demenstrated how you knives performed by passing the ABS master test. Sorry, that's a little long winded for me, but I do not see any benefits in the tests they suggest.

Last edited:
Build a screwdriver into the guard and a steel pommel with a point for poking steel drums, I say... odd things to do with a knife, really.

It is good the promoters are open to suggestions, that alone gives one hope that reason will be applied. I suggest that if a 'cutting comp' direction is taken, do have a few tests that require a sharp point. These comp cutters with no point just bug me, how is one to clean out from under their fingernails and dig out spinters without a point?

Good thread, Ed.

Back