what the difference??

Guindesigns

what is the differences in heat treating and timpering a blade, why do you have to do both?? or even do you have to do both??

-young pup.

In layman terms for common understanding.

Your heat treating is hardening of the steel and tempering is drawing back some of the hardness so you have the consistent hardness you want along the edge or the entire blade.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Go on down to the heat treating forum and read the sticky at the top of the page. It's actually a few articles dealing with heat treating. Heat treating is actually anything that is done to manipulate the crystaline structure of the steel, even when it has to do with extreme cold. Some confuse the terms heat treating with hardening. As Laurence and Broomhead have stated steels for knife blades have to be hardened by austinzing and quenching then have that hardness reduced by tempering. For all practical purposes they both have to be done and in that order. You can worry about the exceptions after you get some experience under your belt. You won't run into them with the steels normally use for blades anyhow. Anyway, you would be dealing with a situation that is possible but not recommended.

Doug

ok thanks guys my dad keeps saying i dont need to temper after heat treat and theres a way for me to do it without having to temper but idk we will see how it goes. again thanks for the help.

-young pup

Heat Treating is a process done to steel,it consists of three main phases.
Austinizing..bringing the steel up to the critical point of the steel
Quench...cooling the steel at a rapid rate to harden.
Temper.. to draw back the hardness to a useable level.
They all must be done properly to get a good workable blade.

Stan

It sounds like your dad may be thinking of steels that are not used for making blades. Structural steel is doesn't generally have enough carbon in it to worry about. Steel that has enough carbon in it to make a blade that will take and hold an edge will.

Doug

thanks guys ill keep that in mind next time he brings it up.

-Young Pup.
p.s. yall should check out the hog knife i made if u havent already.

Back