What steel to use ?

Keith Willis

I am sure I could get many different opinions,with this question.
I have been using,1095 and a little 1075,but I am looking to
move up to something a little better in the high carbon.I am also
looking to start using some stainless.I know I will have to start
outsourcing my heattreat,and that is ok.I will be using this on
my folders which are most all med.size.Some will be EDC,some
will be hunters.
Thanks for any advice.

God bless,Keith

You're right, you are going to get many different opinions. I am assuming that you work by stock removal if you are thinking of going to stainless steel. If you are wanting something that will have a little more in the way of carbides for wear resistance you might want to give 52100 a look, O1 is also a possibility. If you want to farm out your heat treating you could also take a look at some of the air quenching steels like A2 or D2. If you are forging blades you might want to reconsider using air quenching and stainless steels. They are rather demanding in the way they are treated during forging. Personally, I can't see doing it. Whatever you use you are going to have to learn the heat treatment that is correct for that steel.

Doug

I am with Doug on the A2 or D2 in the carbon steels for stock removal, and for stainless, 440C or CPM154 would be good choices.
Dale

Thanks guys,it will be stock removal.I was thinking 52100,and CPM154
That answered my question.

God bless,Keith

If you are farming out the heat treat yoou could also consider M4 for your high carbon and S90V for your stainless. I had my M4 treated by Peters to 64 Rc and the edge holding is absolutely amazing. I have yet to grind any S90V but it is on order. Another carbon steel to look at is CPM 3V. I have about 20 blades I am working on now in 3V. Good luck.

CPM-154 is really hard to beat for a stainless steel. CTS-XHP beats it, by a small margin.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say forget about A2 and D2. If you're looking to try something new, why take a step 40 years backwards in steel technology? They're more difficult to work with than the carbon steels you're used to, and a bear to sharpen, but don't hold a crisp fine edge as long as CPM154 or CTS-XHP and are nowhere near as corrosion resistant, and as far as I can tell, not any tougher. If you want a carbon steel with truly outstanding edge-retention and toughness, and corrosion resistance similar to A2 or D2, CPM-3V is the bomb.

Last edited:
I almost had my mind made up:34:,and James,you come
along with some good advice:confused2::lol:
Thanks guys,that does give me a few more to choose from.

God bless,Keith

Back