what pivot to use on friction folder

AJH_Knives

Hey guys, I am embarking on making my first friction folder. I am looking for a 3/16" pivot.. can you recommend one to use for a first time folder maker...

If it is a primitive style friction folder, simply use a steel rod of the desired thickness, peened on the ends. If it is for a more modern style, try here: http://usaknifemaker.com/folding-knife-parts-c-30.html

If you go with the steel rod, be sure it is either mild steel or annealed. Cut the rod about the thickness of the rod longer than the scale/blade assembly is thick, so about 1/2 the thickness remains to be peened (if using 3/16" rod for the pivot and the folder is 1/2" thick at the pivot, cut the rod 1/2"+3/16"=11/16" overall). Insert a bit of shim stock between the blade and scales before you peen the ends to give it clearance to move freely, I use .008 bronze with a slot cut to go around the pivot.

Okay Thanks GHEzell..
just so i am clear. if I am using a modern pivot, i should have an idea of the total thickness of the knife ( blade and handle material) before I order the pivot. the pivot will have to be cut down to size.. right?

Okay Thanks GHEzell..
just so i am clear. if I am using a modern pivot, i should have an idea of the total thickness of the knife ( blade and handle material) before I order the pivot. the pivot will have to be cut down to size.. right?

Yes.

Back