Welding a broken knife tang (12C27)

Err

https://ibb.co/PxQDPTY

I made this knife for my wife a few years ago. Unfortunately i put a sharp corner where the tang meets the blade and it seems to have cracked from here. I am wondering if it can be tig welded back together? The steel is either 12C27 or AEB-L, I can probably find out definitively from records or old posts if it's important. It's got a bit of sentimental value so I'd like to save it and return it to her if I can. I can't weld very well myself nor do I have the kit to do it. I'm in the United Kingdom.

Last edited:
The only way. Better than TIG welding. And make the installation of the handle so that there is no load on the seam. Pay attention to the rust, water got into the handle.

The only way. Better than TIG welding. And make the installation of the handle so that there is no load on the seam. Pay attention to the rust, water got into the handle.
Thanks. I was thinking of smoothing the transition as you have drawn. I'm not sure what you're suggesting would be better than Tig for joining the tang to the blade?

You can’t just weld the blade, firstly, you release the steel at the seam and it becomes soft, and secondly, you need the seam to be inside the handle, then there will be no load on this place while working with a knife. Miracles don't happen.

How are you proposing I make the joint/seam between blade and tang? Do you mean anneal when you say release?

Last edited:
Back