ways to cut handle material?

SHOKR

Hey guys

Any electric tools to cut handle material (G10, micarta, wood, etc.) other than band saw?

What i do is drill then either seperate with a chisel or a saw. But if there is a single efficient method that eould be great.

I have a scroll saw (brandless) but i think its not powerful enough and i cant find blades for it here, and tried once before with micarta, blade teeth didnt take it so well

Thanks

Attachments

• 20121120_194252.jpg
    20121120_194252.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 46
You can use a chop saw to some degree.
You really need to get a bandsaw for your wood and Micarta.
G-10 will toast the blade on a wooden bandsaw blade. you will need a Bimetal blade foe steel & G-10.
I don't cut any anymore because the stuff is so deadly I decided to quit using it. Micarta also is harmful, won't use it anymore ether. it releases Formaldehyde
when you cut it. Always wear a respirator while cutting any of this stuff.
A hacksaw will work for G-10 and micarta if you are strong enough and have patience.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

So far electric method would be bandsaw then? Hmm that is not cheap

And i already drillcthen connect eith saw or chisel

Thanks guys :)

I have to admit that the best way is the band saw unfortunately. Mine died and I have to use the drill press like you did and then take a hand saw until I can get another bandsaw. I have to do that with my steel now too.

So far electric method would be bandsaw then? Hmm that is not cheap

I cut all of my handle materials with my portaband using bi-metal blades. Works nicely, but carbon fiber will dull the blades pretty quickly. I like the variable speed - fast for wood, slow for most other materials.

My friends that use a LOT of G10 use a wet tile saw. Very cheap and reduces dust.

Mr. Terzuola has advocated the use of a Zephyr ring saw for cutting synthetic handle material. It ain't cheap, but when Bob speaks, I listen!

To echo what Laurence said about what G10 will do to a wood bandsaw blade. My blade locked up on the G10 due to it's teeth being torn to shreds and I didn't get to the on/off switch fast enough and it toasted the motor. It continued for a while if the stock wasn't too thick and I didn't put too much pressure on but it quickly got to the place where it wouldn't cut anything. It turned out to be an expensive mistake.

Doug

Weatherman, for steel i use angle grinder and drill holes for the curves and angles, its not the best technique but for me its way better than drilling all those holes and following with hand saw or such

Shawn, thanks for the tip, first time learning about the ring saw, my problem is i only found 1hp fixed speed band saw here, i am still looking for other sellers or sources but so far my options are get one online, get fixed speed and try to slow it some how (inverter?) and i'm not really keen on those two options, want to see if there are portable dewalts here or other makes, because i would love it if the band saw can cut steel too!!

thanks for the tip Doug, i checked and there are bimetal blades here with appropriate number of tpi, but still my main problem is the band saw itself, controlling the speed. and the ones with fixed speed i saw arent that cheap that i would buy them and just 'tweak'.

thanks guys

its a synthetic material, very hard, harder than micarta and wood, so regular wood blades would be ruined (for the material of the blade, and the number of teeth (the harder the substance the slower you want the blade to rotate AND the more teeth per inch you will need, 3 teeth in material or S R Johnson uses blades that have alternating number of teeth)

hope that helps and other guys probably have better knowledge :)

Back