Vest Bowie

Cody Hofsommer

Here is my latest. This was a custom order picking and choosing bits and pieces from other knives I had. 6" blade and dyed and stabilized curly maple. My leather to go with it. The guard is twisted wrought. Please let me know what you think. Constructive criticism welcomed!
E2A1641B-7BE2-4933-A7DE-AF959A16CDB8-178-0000003030A96492_zps6342fe42.jpg
1EA64E37-217C-4BFF-91E9-83C4C791AEBD-178-000000303591AA59_zpsef975547.jpg
977247B8-0C18-453E-8F3C-540ADAB38B55-178-00000030449345EC_zps03b4c2b2.jpg

I like it!
The proportions and flow of the overall shape work well, I don't know if the Purple maple is what most collectors would want? These days I guess anything goes! The Damascus looks handsome as well, nice ladder pattern I guess?
That quilted sheath looks great. I am 6 ft 4 inches and 250lbs. The pockets on my vests aren't big enough for that but maybe you have Paul Bunyan as a customer?

Thanks Laurence! It's black dyed maple, but it does look kinda purple in the pics! It's kinda a steel grey really. The guy picked it, but I hear ya, most collectors aren't into dyed stuff. I'm not sure vest Bowie is accurate either, but it "small Bowie" just don't have the same ring to it! This is home to Paul Bunyan, so who knows?

I like the overall package. Being a maple color purist I would have went with a more natural looking color. I know a client gets what a client pays for. I like to stay away from stuff that makes a natural piece look otherwise. I find the stud on the sheath to be a nice touch.

Cody,
I just put a set of scales on one of my culinary cutters from a purple dyed block of maple with almost the same stripes. You got it from Mark, Eh?

George,
Those are called a Frog or Sam Brown post stud. I personally think they are all top class. I don't care for snaps on a exquisite piece like this one.

Laurence, this block was from a 15 lbs order from Goby wood products that I sent out to k and g to stabilize. I had a few dyed black and a few dyed brown. I also got some Claro walnut from them.

Cody

There is lot to like about this knife and sheath. First is the Damascus. Nice piece you started with . . . good pattern. Did you make it?

Next is the shape/flow of the knife. I particularly like the handle shape. I also like the color . . . I like a little bit different.

I like the wrought guard. Clean.

The sheath is top notch. Subtle markings and good color. Killer stud.

Overall, a very nice knife and sheath. I'm sure you will have another happy customer.

Heck, I'd carry that knife and be darn proud to do so. Keep up the good work.

DeMo

Thanks DeMo! Yes, it's my own Damascus for the blade and stud. I made the stud using my drill press and files. I did start it some chucked into my drill at the grinder.

Back