Very thin steel test mules

scott.livesey

Dealer - Purveyor
I have always wondered how thin can you go. Bought some steel that has an interesting description:
the steel is 100MnCrW5 specially modified with 0.2% vanadium manufactured by a multi-generational family business in the cliff side town of Thiers, France. located above the Durolle River, the village of Thiers has a tradition of making cutlery dating back to the 14th century.
got a piece that was 0.75mm(0.03") thick and cut some basic blades, 4"x1 1/4" blade with 4"x 3/4" tang. my biggest worry was warping during HT. pre-heated furnace to 1475F, 5minute soak, a second or two in warm oil, then between aluminum quench plates until cool. 2 1hour tempers at 350F with cold water quench in between. 12 point hardness check averaged out to Rc62. the steel is so thin i just did a 10 degree bevel on each side. works well in kitchen on boneless beef and vegetables. handle on the right is black walnut, on the left is honey locust.
extrathin.jpg

Indeed that is pretty cool, Scott. So where did you source this steel? Looks like an O1 formulation, correct? A little more vanadium than most? Curious as to where you got it. Thanks

Indeed that is pretty cool, Scott. So where did you source this steel? Looks like an O1 formulation, correct? A little more vanadium than most? Curious as to where you got it. Thanks
the steel is Simonds O1. the flowery description is from an Etsy post where they are selling O1 blade blanks they are putting handles on. the description does sound better than O1.

Back