Vandergoot Knives Gallery

Goot

I’m going to start posting my pictures in a central gallery instead of making separate posts. Sorry about doing that before. Less clutter this way!

I started about two years ago and I consider myself very much a novice. I think I always will. I would really appreciate any wisdom and feedback from anyone willing to look. This forum is a treasure and I’m in awe of the work others have posted.

I’ll start with the earliest pictures from when I followed a YouTube tutorial during COVID.

FDB9FEAE-15EE-49D1-82F5-71C5351B9D0D.jpeg7334AB5B-155D-45DD-A7C9-99644435814E.jpeg559F991E-0BBA-4242-87A2-8CD2A76E7BE9.jpeg
A25EC2F2-5A7B-4468-BC61-5B4C680C8EDA.jpeg2350F46D-9667-49A3-B279-756EE444F86A.jpeg672C65E9-4FEA-4406-BD9A-B3503ECDCF7C.jpeg
39ABA5C6-3543-4DB8-9EB5-A698D8319A80.jpegB351E90E-0D83-462C-8AB0-20999936B84A.jpegCapture.PNG

Last edited:
Goot - I will make a few observations on your posted knives. They all look very good. You indicate that you have been making knives for two years. My guess is less than 100 knives completed. The posted pictures show you have picked up a lot of the basic skills necessary to make a really nice knife.

1. Shape of the knives is appealing. They all look good to my eye.
2. You posted hunters, kitchen, oyster, a vast array of various knife shapes/sizes. Most are full tang knives but a few are hidden tang/with guards.
3. You posted a wide variety of different handle/scale material.
4. You posted a wide variety of handle pins.
5. You take good clear pictures.

Goot - You have made quite a few of really nice knives. Just keep making them. With each one, you gain a little bit more experience. Practice makes perfect. Just keep grinding.

Thank you Dennis! It means a lot to get encouragement from you. I keep a list of shop notes with the things I want to improve after I finish each knife because there’s always something.

Sales are really slow which is a bummer but this isn’t my full time job. I need to focus on marketing more. Grinding on!

Thank you Dennis! It means a lot to get encouragement from you.
Goot

We are the same. Just knife makers. You make very nice knives. I enjoyed looking at them and the comments are just my observations.

With each knife, you learn something. Or at least I do. Some times good, some times bad. Nonetheless, a little bit of knowledge gets stored away.
Just think how much knowledge you will have stored into your head on knife 1,000, or 10,000. This always blows my mind thinking about this aspect of knife making.

"This forum is a treasure and I’m in awe of the work others have posted." Me too!! There are some really talented makers on this site. Almost all of them are good people willing to help you out. That is the best part.

Dennis

You say “sales are really slow”. I’ve been making knives since about ‘90 or ‘91 or so, I don’t really remember. Just been the last few years that I’ve been able to sell them faster than I can make them. It takes some time, so I wouldnt get discouraged by that. Nice looking knives, thanks for the pictures!

You say “sales are really slow”. I’ve been making knives since about ‘90 or ‘91 or so, I don’t really remember. Just been the last few years that I’ve been able to sell them faster than I can make them. It takes some time, so I wouldnt get discouraged by that. Nice looking knives, thanks for the pictures!
Well that's good to hear. I think I found you on facebook. Nice work!

Back