Utility/hunter in 1095

dereklee12

I still need to etch my logo but this one is done. Its a little over 3.75" with a 4.5" handle. 1/8" 1095 with black liners and MOP acrylic. Just looking to see what you guys think.
pearlhandle.jpg
Thanks for looking

Derek Lee.

Thanks guys. Im also looking for some constructive criticism. I am looking to "up my game" if thats still a relevant term.

Derek, I would love to give you some constructive criticism, but I don't see anything. If I could get a grind to look like yours, I would have to buy all new caps, none of mine would fit any more!:3: Good job.

Very nice knife Derek, well made and beautiful. IMHO I would have mirror polished the bevels because I think it would look better with the glossy acrylic MOP, since you asked...

Yeah Aus I was thinking the same thing. I am just having problems with keeping crisp lines when I hand finish. I was just really happy with the lines and the way that everything turned out so I left it. But I am practicing more on my hand sanding when its not a full flat. Thanks for your input much appreciated.
Derek Lee

that looks very good.
I would hand polish the bevels. Only use 1 thickness of abrasive paper at a time, and back it with steel or very hard wood. Or go crazy, and use shallow-hardening steels in the future and make hamons (which you may already do).

The basic shape, grind lines, etc., all look very good.

I also can not see if the tang is tapered, or how thick/thin the blade is, and whether it has distal taper. In general, you want thin blade. Look at your biggest kitchen knife and see how thick it is at the forte'. You want a drop point hunter to have similar profile.

that is a very nice knife. I am just saying what I think you could do to raise it up to an outstanding knife (I always put metal bolsters, just about. I have this fixation).

the willingness to get feedback is nice, too.

kc

Thanks for the input KC. I need to practice hand sanding when Its not a full flat grind and learn to keep em crisp. As for the tapered tang, I dont know how but its on my list of things to learn.
Again thanks I am always looking for ways to better my work.
Derek Lee

Back