Uncle Al's grinders

Bubba - its what I have. It is the only one I have. It is a little lighter in build than a kmg but works like one only with a little more flex. Better than bader b3, about like kmg (flex is only issue). I did a lot of research, and for me it was the best grinder for the money. A grinder from Bob Dozier or Travis's TW-90 may be a little better machine. But, you are getting up near double the cost for the better machine. Al also made my hydraulic press, which is a wonderful tool. He is a first-rate guy, and I am wonderfully-happy with his grinder.

kc

Last edited:
i know al he's a great guy and has helped me out a lot in knife makeing. i imagine his grider is good, every thing of his i've seen is wellmade. just my two cents

I've never used one but I have a bader II and III and both are great grinders, no flex. You have to take into account what you will be doing with it? Convex, flat or hollow grinds ect.

The Tw-90 might be more expensive but it's almost like getting 2 grinders in one.

What about a burr king?

Kevin posted a similar question on the Bladesmith's forum and here is it.

http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=18558

You only cry once when you buy the best.

Last edited:
Hi Bubba,
I have uncle Al's older grinder I bought probably 15 years ago, It's been the smoothest running, quietest machine I own. Plus the tracking is precise! This newer machine looks even better with a fancy controller and 1/2 hp more than the old one. I use mine mainly for finish work and small wheel work, but I also have three other grinding machines, each set up for specific tasks. I plan on using my uncle Al machine until they pry my cold dead fingers from it !! Good luck choosing your new grinder,
Clint

Thanks folks , appreciate the input and feed back . I may buy one ? I do like the direct drive , comes with 3 wheels and a hardened 0-1 tool rest . As long as it does a good job and not too much problem with tracking ! looks like a nice machine.
I have old bader and a grizzly . But they are practicly worn out . I think its time .........

Back