Twisting railroad spike

KenH

Hello all, there's been a bit of discussion on use of railroad spikes for knife - seems they are best as "wall hanger"? Anyway, I've pounded on one today, then put a twist in handle AFTER I forged the blade out. I then took my other spike and twisted it before forging the blade.

Is there any consensus on which is best, before forging blade? OR twist after forging blade?

Thanks again to all for a GREAT forum,

Ken H>

I have only twisted a couple spikes for giggles and I liked doing it after I had the blade pretty much forged out and the handle done...personal preference is the key imho

Thanks for the info Dave - The blade I forged before twisting turned out ok, twisting before forging was easy also, but since I've not forged that spike yet, there might be issues in forging that would make it better to forge blade first. I didn't think, so forged the first blade, then twisted. Got to thinking and wondered if I should have twisted first.

BTW Dave, is the link to http://www.azraelscustomleather.com/ broken? site didn't open for me in Chrome.

Ken H>

Ive made a bunch of RR spike knives in the past..Pretty popular around here due to all the railroad employees and rail related stuff..I always liked to twist them first, espically if your doing a dicorative twist..Like a diamond twist..
100_4570.jpg

100_4572.jpg

That top knife has an interesting twist - looks "braided" and I see why you call it a diamond twist. Looks good. My twist looks more like the bottom knife. I think I have about 1-1/4 turns in the handle.

Your photos sure turned out good - I tried an inside shot tonight but it didn't turn out good at all. I'll try again in daytime for an outside light.

Ken H>

Ive made a bunch of RR spike knives in the past..Pretty popular around here due to all the railroad employees and rail related stuff..I always liked to twist them first, espically if your doing a dicorative twist..Like a diamond twist..
100_4570.jpg

100_4572.jpg

So would you care to share?
How did you do that top twist or is it a real twist? It almost looks like it was done with a chisel!:les: I like it anyway!:biggrin:

Yea, its a real twist but it also ha some chisel work..Ill take pics of the next one show yall' how its done..Its a "chisel/cut"...Twist/Forge"..Chisel/cut"...Un-twist process...

Hey Kentucky, that sounds interesting - I hope it's not too long before you do another.... and post plenty of photos of how it's done.

Ken H>

Thanks for the link George - I'll have to try that. Looks like even I could do that!

Ken H>

i have made tons of those. the mew hc marked make a pretty good throwing hawk or spike. don't have any photos but they work pretty good and you really can't hurt them.

Back