Treadmill motor disk grinder build.

This morning I added dust collection capability to this grinder.
The first photo shows my central vacume that is mounted in the unconditioned part of my shop. I run it when I'm using either one of those blast cabinets. I also have a pipe that goes up and through the wall into the conditioned part of my shop,it runs below the ceiling and drops down to my horizontal edge grinder that I built about 4years ago. In the last photo you can see the flexible part of the pipe hooked up to collect from my other treadmill grinder,it is mounted to the table of my horizontal edge grinder.

In the first photo you can see how I collect the dust from my HEG,I move that welding magnet from station to station as I need it.
In the second photo you can see that I mounted a collector under the tool rest of the new grinder,it's an attachment from an old Hoover vacume cleaner. I have another flexible hose running from the new collector that I can hook to the existing flex hose as I need it and disconnect and move out of the way when I don't.
In the last photo you can see how I mounted the new collector extension. I put flathead wood screws through those hose clamps and screwed them to the bench top and clamped the hard part of the pipe to the table.
I tested it grinding some bone and it works great!

Good job Calvin. I need to show this one to my wife, she is always after me to get rid of my "good stuff" that I might need some day.

Craig,
Just show her this WIP,then show her the price of a store bought 9" vertical disk grinder with adjustable table,variable speed motor. She will see real quick how valuable your "good stuff" really is,$700-$800.

Added a reversing switch today

I got tired of reversing the wires when I wanted to reverse direction so today I added a reversing switch.

Calvin, do you have these pictures still available anywhere? They aren't coming up on my PC and I'd like to see how you attached the disk. I've been wanting to do this very thing but can't figure out how to attach the disk to the motor with the odd threads.

Calvin, do you have these pictures still available anywhere? They aren't coming up on my PC and I'd like to see how you attached the disk. I've been wanting to do this very thing but can't figure out how to attach the disk to the motor with the odd threads.

Jason,
I'm sorry for not seeing this until now,you should have sent me a private message.
I still have the photos and can email them to you if you like.
What I do is unscrew the pulley/flywheel from the motor,turn it around and screw it back on the shaft with the flywheel part facing outward. I cut a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum and J B Weld it to the flat surface of the flywheel then turn it in a lathe to the 9" round that I want.

Jason,
I'm sorry for not seeing this until now,you should have sent me a private message.
I still have the photos and can email them to you if you like.
What I do is unscrew the pulley/flywheel from the motor,turn it around and screw it back on the shaft with the flywheel part facing outward. I cut a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum and J B Weld it to the flat surface of the flywheel then turn it in a lathe to the 9" round that I want.

Genius idea!!! Thanks for sharing. I didn't even think of PMing you... I should have.

Let me try it and see if mine will work. I may not need the pictures. Thanks a bunch.

Back