three done

soundmind

KNIFE MAKER
IMG_0450.jpg

1. The first is from a large saw blade I heat treated. I think the top shows auto hamon but I'm not sure. But those lines are in the steel, evenly on both sides. The actual hamon line is down there pretty low. Rosewood handle and riveted stainless pins. No sheath just a display.

2. The second is some damascus I got to help make about 7 years ago that I finally finished.1095 and nickel -(a stack of 13 welded and restacked once so low layer). Turned out nice so I used a piece of figured walnut I've had for a long time too. 1/16 (pretty small!) riveted nickel silver pins.

3. Me - at least for awhile.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks, yohan! Getting there!

I really enjoyed seeing the radiance in the walnut pop out.

On the rosewood, I was trying for contours to bring out the grain. I'll try something a little different next time, maybe a hidden tang to blend the grain together and make it move.

That walnut really looks good - hard to beat good looking Walnut Burl.

On the Rosewood if you wetsand with CA glue with 400 grit the sanding sludge tends to fill the pores for a nice finish. Then sand with 400 grit to the bare wood removing all trace of CA glue except for the filled pores.

I've done this, then wet sand (with water) 800 grit then to 1200 grit or so, then buff to get a really nice finish. No tru-oil or anything, just bare wood.

Back