The "Morph" and a little story about it

Robert Dark

A few months ago a new maker asked if I could give him a few pointers on grinding blades. He made the trip from Georgia and brought with him a couple of blanks that he had designed and had profiled.

My first thoughts were that the simple drop point design was not bad for his first. I thought the material was a bit thick (somewhere around 3/16”) for such a short knife. To me, the blade height was a tad tall, and the handle just didn’t feel quite right in my hand. Overall, it was not a bad design, but it just wasn’t my “cuppa tea”.

We spent the day grinding and at the end of the day, he gifted me the blade that I had ground. Later, I heat treated it, sharpened it, and cut all kinds of stuff with it. I was fairly impressed with the edge retention. I still didn’t put handles on it ‘cause it just wasn’t my style blade.

Fast forward to being hyped up and inspired after the Blade Show. I ground the drop point into something a little different, changed the handle profile slightly, ground the mill scale off of the ricasso area, repositioned the handle holes by cutting a rectangular window in the handle, and tapered the tang. I did all this while the blade was still razor sharp. (Yea, I know, that wasn’t the brightest idea).

Here is the result. I must say, it feels quite nice in my hand.

S-35VN Steel
Full distal taper on the blade with tapered tang
Linen Micarta scales with black liners
Hammer domed nickel silver pins
OAL – 7”
Blade Tip-to-Handle – 3 ¼”

S35VN.jpg

Robert, that came out nice. You have more guts than me. I would have dulled the edge all the way before working on it. I bleed like a stuck pig when I get cut.

I like how you morphed it from a drop point to a sort of Trailing point with a Drop!

Nice work! I would have dulled and taped it up myself.

I use to be young & Foolish. Now it just takes to long to heal! LOL.:s12201:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Thanks gang. I had fun with this one, and the fact that it was sharp helped keep me on my toes.

My fingers survived without a scratch.

Robert

Back