The Belly Hook Knife

Belly Hook

Gut hooks! You either love them or you hate them! I have designed a new knife that you will love! I am introducing the new Belly Hook patent pending design. Watch the video and let me know what you think.

IMG_3015.jpg

[video=youtube_share;z1kI9aBuxR8]http://youtu.be/z1kI9aBuxR8[/video]

My question is how do you keep it from cutting into the guts of the animal. I designed one that is just a gut hook and there is no way to cut the guts with it. I don't have any made right now to show but I will and send you a picture. Very few gut hooks that I have seen and that is many really work the way a gut hook is suppose to. The thought behing your design is admirable and I wish I could see how it cuts without getting into the guts. Please explain to me if you will, just for my knowledge. I am not knocking your design or saying mine is better I am just trying to understand, please don't take offense at my questions I have been a hunter all my life and want to know your insight into the way it works.

Percy

The simple answer is, you keep the tip up. The edge of the blade glides under the hide and if it isn't cut then, the hook will cut it. If you are worried about the tip getting into the guts, flip the knife over with the edge towards the hair side and use it that way. I thought the video showed fairly well how it would work. It can be used to run down the inside of the legs too! Or for that matter, any part of the hide.

www.ramosknives.com

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty useful design to me- it would give more control as you could keep the blade more parallel to inside of animal while pushing through- nice work.

Thanks for the info I did not look at the design good enough and I appreciate you pointing it out for me.
Have a great week and good luck with your design.

percy

A unique idea for sure,have you tried it on a deer sized animal? I'm having a hard time seeing how it's better than a typical gut hook or just a knife blade for that matter.

I have not tried it on an animal yet, simply because they are out of season. But, I will first chance I get. I have been making fringe out of leather to see how long the edge would last. It is still cutting very well after cutting all this. The leather is 1/8"-1/4" thick! Since this photo was taken, I have cut twice as much and still going strong. Is a typical gut hook or just a knife blade better? I will let people decide for themselves!

Cuts were made using just the hook!

bhlace.jpg

I hope it works as well as you think it will,if so you will sell a lot if them. I will be happy to field test one for you if you like,just send me one and I'll get back to you after deer season ends next Febuary.:rolleyes:

That is so kind of you Calvin! LOL. I will be testing it personally, it may be on a coyote or a rancher friends dead cow...but I really do not foresee a problem with it not working like I envision. I posted it on FB and took orders for the first 7 in two days time.

I am in Austin, TX for their local Safari Club Banquet tomorrow. I will put this knife in front of people to hold for the first time and try out on some leather scraps. I shall see how it goes...

Back