Swords in tn

• Thread starter Black Dragon Forge
  • Start date
B

Black Dragon Forge

After serving on a tn grand jury I was upset when i found that swords are a big no no in tn according to the local DA.....Im going to look into this further...y'all might check your local state laws vs getting busted..And i wanted to make swords too.uurrrrrr

A no-no in what contex? Collecting? Carrying on the street? Making swords? I doubt if Tn law probits making swords, or even selling as collectors items. Let us know what you find.

Dave

I'm sure that I have seen swords for sale at Smoky Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville, TN. I would be surprised if they are illegal in TN. I'm sure puttin' the pointy end where it doesn't belong is frowned upon though. :biggrin:
I will do some checking and see what I can find.

There was a nice article on either kniferights.org or atki.org.
It covered the "general" legalities of a knife and made a strong point that an individual should be sure to look up the state and local codes as well.
However, it said in there while having a knife such as a switch blade as a 'curio' on display in your home is acceptable. It's not ok to take it in your pocket or car and carry it around with you.
That being said, I'm sure any DA could argue that a sword is a blade over 4" and therefore illegal to carry.
None of us know the actual details of the situation you were on the jury for. So in that end we can only speculate.

i remember talking to jim batson and him saiyng something about bowies being illegal in tennese... same law?

There was a nice article on either kniferights.org or atki.org.
It covered the "general" legalities of a knife and made a strong point that an individual should be sure to look up the state and local codes as well.
However, it said in there while having a knife such as a switch blade as a 'curio' on display in your home is acceptable. It's not ok to take it in your pocket or car and carry it around with you.
That being said, I'm sure any DA could argue that a sword is a blade over 4" and therefore illegal to carry.
None of us know the actual details of the situation you were on the jury for. So in that end we can only speculate.

Im pretty sure your car is considered a extension of your home and as long as it isnt conceled your fine. Its like having a firearm in your car without a carry permit.

There is no law concerning "owning" a sword/bowie/any kind of knife in TN. The law states that it is illegal to knowingly go armed w/a blade over 4" in length. I carry a 5" + knife on me all the time while hunting and in transit. LEO's have seen it all the time when I stop at a store or what not. The difference, context. I am a licensed hunter obviously engaged in a legal activity. In that context, my knife is seen as a tool, not a weapon. Of course it is illegal to carry a sword around in public or assault someone with it, but using in a collector, sanctioned martial art, or even a justified self defense situation is perfectly legal.

most of these laws are enforced after you have been detained/arrested. Added weapons charges. so if you are going to commit a crime dont carry your knives.
Yes , swords, daggers, dirks, nun-chucks, and most fun and cool stuff can be used against you. 4 inches is the legal length. I make and carry all types of blades here in TN.

I believe tennesee Law has the Castle law . There are no know laws which prohibit owning a sword . I asked a friend attorney who lives in Knoxville . He is also a pretty good swordsmith......... Albert Atwood

Back