Studebaker leaf spring

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
Here's my latest creation from an old Studebaker leaf spring I didn't know I had. Pretty sure my friend Wayne gave it to me several years ago and I must have gotten excited about something else then. Nice surprise to find this old spring. The blade is 7 3/4", wrought iron fittings and some type of deer crown. Tried something new as far as the sheath goes. I really like it and plan to make more. Actually this one is 3 layers. The first inner sheath is 1/4" leather with a welt in at the spine. Then treated the same way I have been doing them. Studebaker leaf springs should be 9260. It sure wasn't 5160.

IMG_4435.JPG

IMG_4437.JPG

IMG_4438.JPG

Interesting that I don't see a plunge line, have you done this before?

Reminds me of an old German hunting knife.

I feel like an idiot Raymond. I've been aware of, and admired your work for the last couple of years, and never noticed this, and I thought I was fairly observant.

I'll blame it on age, that's it:eek:

I feel like an idiot Raymond. I've been aware of, and admired your work for the last couple of years, and never noticed this, and I thought I was fairly observant.

I'll blame it on age, that's it:eek:

Mark, I'm sorry, but I just couldn't resist. Shortly after I started making I did the plunge cuts like everyone else but I always felt like plunge cuts where nothing but a speed bump when rubbing out a blade. I was able to come up with what I've been doing and have been doing it this way ever since. Now if you look at the last two knives I made I did do plunge cuts on them. It felt good to see I can still do them. Here's the two with plunge cuts: http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?24771-A-couple-in-saw-steel

Last edited:
I can't believe you haven't revealed your secret before.:) Those two are good looking knives.

You've got me thinking now, I'd only seen the absence of a plung or recasso in older daggers, but then again what do i see.

A little side note.

My wifes B-day was wed.
I brought her gift in unwrapped and set in front of her on the coffee table, sat down and waited for her to notice. It's in direct line with the TV... An hour, nothing.. Hey honey grab that blanket on the table (the gift is an antique lantern 18" tall set next to the blanket) grabs the blanket, nothing. I had to point it out to her. She loved it.

Must run in the family.

That looks mighty fine to me Ray. You ought to go looking for more long lost springs in your shop. I was surprised not to see any sculpting on the sheath, but I like it. Your iron fittings give me goose bumps... I'd like to be able to do something like that. Maybe someday. Thanks for the treat!

Your knives don't need a plunge, Ray. You hand forge the blades and hammer in the bevels as you go. There aren't many people in the world that can do that as well as you do. Tai Goo is the only other one I can thing of right now. I'm still saving my beer money to get one of those works of art so don't quit before I save enough!

Back