Stitcher help please?

Icho

Hi all. I'm new to leather work and only made about 5 knife sheaths. I'm hoping someone can help me out with sewing machines. There is one for sale and was wondering if it would work for making sheaths. I know pretty much nothing about sewing machines so any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's what I'm looking at. Its a Pfaff 1295 walking feet 3phase motor and they will throw in a 110v clutch motor. Any ideas what it would be worth? Also I was wondering what the controller panel does.... I know I am lost when it comes to sewing machines lol. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.@

That is an odd looking machine, the post is the most perplexing. Not sure what this machine is intended for but one of your concerns is how high the foot will raise and how much material that it is capable of sewing. Those two are the most important.

I did a short lookup on it and still cant find what its intended use is and what that post is for. But the price is a bit steep at 4 grand, you can get a Cowboy or Cobra brand leather stitcher for much less.

I can actually get this machine for $400. It seems like a pretty heavy-duty machine so that's what caught my eye. I just don't know enough about them to make the right decision. If it was local I would just go and check it out but it is about a 2 hour drive. Since i don't have any crazy demands I am hoping this could be a decent starter machine for me. I would just like it to be able to stitch at least 3 layers of 8oz veg tan leather better and easier than my hands.

Ask the current owner if it will stitch 1/2" of leather. If he says yes get a short video of the machine doing it. Technology is great if you use it. Everybody but me has an Iphone so it shouldn't be a problem!

Well so far I can't get a hold of the guy selling it. I tried calling and just sent an email a little while ago so I guess I just have to wait and see. I would really like to find a reasonably priced alternative to hand stitching thru 3/8-1/2" of leather but for now I will try not to stab myself with my all. I hope he didn't sell it and just forget to take down the ad.

let me preference my statement by saying I have only stiched one sheath and thats why I have others make mine. LOL

This machine looks far to complicated for a leather sticher. I only get buy tech heavy machines when they will serve a need purposed. I go for simple machines when possible. If this computer screen craps out you may just have nothing!

The Boss Tippman is the one a great leather crafter I know had and that's what I would save up for and most likey get if I was going to get a leather stitcher.

I have a Tippmann Boss and it will sew very thick leather (up to 3/4"). It seemed like it would be a simple machine and in some respects it is. However, it takes some time to figure out the adjustments when going from one thickness of material to another. They are also pretty expensive for a hand operated machine. If I were to do it over again, and I might, I would look at a new Cobra or a used Juki. I got the Boss thinking it would be easier because you could sew really slowly and precisely, but to be honest it is just as easy or easier with an electric machine and I have never had to sew anything 3/4" anyway. Just my .02.

The 1295 is basically an upholstery machine made for canvas, upholstery materials, leather, etc. thus the post, which allows large bulky items, such as boat tops to pass through the throat. Whether it will sew thicker leathers is a question that the manual should show and if you do a Google search for a Pfaff 1295 you will find it for free in PDF format . You might also check with the folks, many sewing machine dealers/experts, here on Leatherworker.net
http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showforum=50

let me preference my statement by saying I have only stiched one sheath and thats why I have others make mine. LOL

Yep I feel the same way when it comes to the stitching part but I like punishing myself.lol

I have been looking at the Tippmann BOSS and it is very interesting. My problem is that I am still fairly new to knife making and very new to leather so I haven't really sold enough knives to Help pay for such a nice machine. My wife is very understanding and I don't really want to rattle the cage.......yet. lol

I found the manual and skimmed thru it quickly but haven't seen anything about max thickness. I will take my time and look thru it again just in case I missed it. I have been saying for a long time that I would like to get an industrial machine for canvas and other things so even if it didn't work for the real thick leather I would still get use out of it. It seems to be priced pretty good so I am having a hard time passing it up. It is 220v 3 phase which is a bit of an inconvenience but not a big deal. I was also surprised to find out that it has an air hook up.

Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it and feel free to add if you think of anything else.

I was recently given an old (1910) Singer industrial sewing machine model #31-15 with a walking foot.

It has an up-dated motor (1/3 hp) and was professionally serviced before it was put in storage about 5 years ago.

I know nothing about sewing machines. I don't think that it will punch through 3 layers of 8oz. leather, but it should work for lighter work (I hope). Anyone know anything about this machine? As always, TIA. Teddy

Here ya go Teddy.
This model has a K in it, if that makes any difference. My mother had one of these that I'd play with when I was a kid, she'd do a lot of sewing without the motor on and just turning the hand wheel manually. Looks like this one works OK for leather with the right needle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C93R32mqUFE

Rudy

Back