Steel thickness and width??

HHH Knives

Super Moderator
Hi Guys, I wanted to get some insight from the folder makers here on KD..

Just a quick bit of info why I need and want this info.. We are now making some Stainless over carbon core san mai bars. Its been pretty cool and the finished knives look great. If I do say so myself.

So the question I pose is this. Lets say I started offering some of this san mai geared to the tactical folder makers. What thickness and width would be ideal. I fully understand this is a tough question as many start with different stock. That said. To get the very best results on the san mai. I recommend that makers start with stock that is as close to or just over the desired thickness. This allows the core to SS ratio to be right, look right.... That said. I may offer it in a couple of thicknesses. but probably no more then 2.

Please share your thoughts and I welcome any input

Here are a few pictures of some of the test blades.. So far I have done W2 core, Blue 2 core, 1084 core, and stainless core..

10" blade
Blue #2 core

end shot on some bars.

Knife made by my friend at Pheer knives

and a few more blade ranging from 3.5" to 11"

Thanks and I will take into consideration all input and let you guys know once we start posting bars

Blessings
Randy

Well I'm not much help on the folder question but those san mai blades look fantastic, I will be trying some at some point.

Hi Randy.
Well I have some thin san mai on the way from You. I believe I did say I wanted a bar about .140 but just couldn't spend the money for that one just now. It would be for tacticals. I also believe it should be about 1 3/8" wide at the minimum. This would allow for flippers also in this style.
I love your Damascus and will be buying more for sure. I know have four knives on the go using Haas Damascus.
Frank

Back