speak steel? sverker21 vs. K100

SHOKR

Hi!!

For those who dont know ive been struggling with getting steel

So far all i found locally is 6mm sverker 21 and 5mm(or more) K100

The closest things to these are D2 and D3 respectively, however they are still different

What steel is good for what knife? Is the K100 good at all?

I added their graph

Edit: added a photo of all 4 steels

capture_19-1.jpg

capture_20-1.jpg
View attachment 37938

Last edited:
Yes, K100 can be used for knife blades. I found a short discussion of it on British Blade Society and some data from the manufacturer. Just make sure that your heat treater knows how to handle it. I only found one other steel with carbon that high and that was S30V. I would expect it to be highly wear resistant but brittle like a lot of the "wonder steels".

Doug

by brittle, you mean breaks easy or chips?
which would be best then the K100 or D2, since they are thick i'll be making tactical knives and such, maybe small knives with no handle material too

thanks a lot Doug!

You might have to make the blades thicker to give more strength to the blades. Either one will not have the toughness found in simpler spring and tool steels and, relatively speaking, break or chip more easily but they will hold an edge longer. You could also work with your heat treater to see if they can modify their process to give a little better toughness from the steel. Best advice is to build a knife out of one or both and use it to destruction and see if they will meet your needs.

Doug

thanks Doug, i tested D2 once, not to destruction, but it held up pretty good. but i guess destruction test can settle the arguement!

I would suggest the D2 if you want semi-stainless and the K-100 if you want a true stainless. A true stainless has appox 13% or higher of Chromium.

I have used D2 and CPM-D2 and never had any problem with them being brittle. It also really is determined by the Heat Treat.

Most steels will tend to get brittle at 60 RC or higher. If you have the D2 or K-100 treated to 58-59 RC you will be fine. I had the CPM D-2 taken to 60 RC for some culinary knives and didn't have any problems.

Are you going to send it out of country for the Heat Treatment?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks Laurence

No, HT is done locally by the bohler people (also the K100 suppliers) (so far no knives go in or out)
Im no expert but so far i believe their work os really good, they do my O1 blades to 58-60
And tested a leaf spring and D2 blade theyvheld up pretty good!

I can get both for the same price i believe

Back