South Dakota saying Hi

Hello fellow knife enthusiasts, glad to have found the site! 61 YOM who started making knives in '92. Bought a Solingen hi carbon steel blade, 6 1/4 inch blade, failed miserably at making a handle, but it worked for years deer hunting. Boy did that steel hold an edge, I believe I really could shave with it. Then tried again with plain steel and oil tempering and made a fancy sheath (I thought), it turned out OK but steel was not very hard but held an edge and used it several years for hunting. Both served me well and field dressed/skinned many a critter. Did a couple more after that before life got crazy with 3 boys. Now just my beautiful wife and I and a darn cold South Dakota winter, so what else, knife making. I don't have the time or patience for hardening so buy nice blades and do the handles. When I get more used to this site will be sure to post pics. Later, Deerhunter13

Welcome Deerhunter13. I know what you mean about South Dakota winter. I spent 2 weeks up there helping work cattle on a ranch in Highmore, S.D.. We got horseback before daylight and often didn't get back after dark. I have never been so cold in my life. A couple of the colts I rode were a little cold backed which made the first 30 minutes of the morning pretty unpredictable! There is some beautiful country up there on the Missouri River. I would love to go back in warmer weather. What's your name? Everyone will want to know.

Bill Fitzgerald

Thank you for the welcome, My name is Roger Mattson,,I am going to work on posting a couple pics of my last couple or so when I get to the right forum page and figure out the upload process, hey, its finally warming up here!!

Back