Soshu Kitae Tanto 11"

bubba-san

Thought I would post this one up . Working on this for a while . Construction is sanmai very similar to Soshu Kitae blade .The famous sword smith Masamune used the "Soshu" seven layer construction method.
This one has the 5 sections ,hard super blue edge , soft iron in center. And spine which is high carbon . and cladding.
the difference is the cladding which is multiple layer mallable iron , where as, soshu had 4 layers of cladding
I will Ht and polish with watersones which will expose the hard cutting edge of the Tanto . Cutting edge is
11" OL is 15" +..... Nice heavy duty blade , should be a good cutter when finished ...... Bubba

Attachments

• soshu Kitae  Tanto 010.jpg
    soshu Kitae Tanto 010.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 39
  • soshu Kitae.gif
    soshu Kitae.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 112
  • soshu Kitae  Tanto 005.jpg
    soshu Kitae Tanto 005.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 31
  • soshu Kitae  Tanto 004.jpg
    soshu Kitae Tanto 004.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Tomorrow morning ,I am go to heat treat and temper . Hope it stays together ? Sanmai and other complicated laminates can be touchy when HTn. When this thing hits non-magnetic into the warm oil it goes . I havent made up my mind if its going to be aichuchi or hamadashi style ?
One has a small tsuba and the other does not . I am kind of leaning towards the Hamadashi style (tsuba) . What do you think ? Got some nice honika wood for Saya straight from japan . So this will about as close as you can get to traditional Japanese Tanto . This thing is wickedly sharp , just from shaping the blade . I will need to dull it a little for HT , dont need any warping or cracking .I forged this one pretty good so I am more worried about warpage than cracking or coming apart ..

Bubba-san

Just took it out of oven ( kitchen) and no cracks it did have a slight bend but, whats nice about this stuff you can straighten it with wood mallet
and its fine . Now its soaking in white vinegar to remove decarb and burnt on oil , also etches it , so I will have and Idea what its going to look like

Its pretty hard to crack this stuff but , it will warp a bit . It might crack if I water quenched it . Even when fully hardened it will bend instead of breaking , because the folded iron remains soft , it doesnt harden and protects the edge and spine .

soshu kitae tanto

I finished hardening and etch . looks a little better than before , with the blue paper core it is a vitual razor..I am not kidding
Got some new Honika wood for saya , when I finish that part , I will post it up . Bubba

Attachments

• Soshu Kitae tanto 001.jpg
    Soshu Kitae tanto 001.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Soshu Kitae tanto 002.jpg
    Soshu Kitae tanto 002.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Soshu Kitae tanto 003.jpg
    Soshu Kitae tanto 003.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 8
  • Soshu Kitae tanto 004.jpg
    Soshu Kitae tanto 004.jpg