Soldier rig: Mightor and Little Rok

Stormcrow

This was a commission from a soldier who ran into up close and personal trouble the last time he was in Afghanistan and wanted to be better prepared the next time he goes. We discussed this project for a good while, and I have to say that if I was a soldier stationed in the rockbox, I'd want him to be the guy in charge of me.

He wanted a pair of blades, a big fighter that could reach out and touch someone and a smaller utility that would still be good in a scrape. He wanted the big one to have an exposed pommel and wanted both of them to have fully sharpened clips.

This is what I sketched out:

armyjosh_zpsa8cb60a6.jpg

He approved and I got on it when I could. Somewhere along the way they got named Mightor and Little Rok as a nod to his time spent living in caves in Afghanistan. Mightor ended up with a 9 3/4" blade that is 2 1/8" wide and an overall length of 15 3/8". Little Rok has a 4" blade and an overall length of 8 3/4". The steel they were forged from was 1/4" 5160, triple normalized, triple hardened, and triple tempered.

Here they are forged out:

armyjosh04_zpsb609edc0.jpg

armyjosh02_zpsfc84e59f.jpg

armyjosh03_zps2c9efe4a.jpg

Little Rok has lightening holes to keep it from being overly handle heavy (though it ends up balancing at the first handle pin), but Mightor needed to balance out that long blade so only the rivet holes were drilled. With the handle slabs on, it balances right at the touchmark.

Here they are after stock removal, ready for heat treatment:

armyjosh05_zpsbe0349b5.jpg

Natural brown canvas Micarta was the choice for the handle slabs and olive drab Kydex for the sheaths.

armyjosh06_zpsa76655cb.jpg

armyjosh07_zpsa8d03711.jpg

Along the way, he decided he needed a flat prybar. I suggested a roller head prybar as well (his term for such is a cat's paw; he gets the name from his grandpa and I get roller head from my dad) and he agreed. I wasn't quite sure about how to sheath those, but came up with this:

armyjosh09_zps899c1edc.jpg

And all together:

armyjosh08_zpsce4974f8.jpg

After sharpening it all up where both blades will shave coming or going and oiling everything down, it was time for some nicer pictures.

armyjosh11_zpsed24cc65.jpg

armyjosh12_zpsf44d314c.jpg

I really like the shape of Little Rok. When I get a chance, I need to make a single edged version for my EDC. As a double-edge, it would work quite viciously with pikal techniques.

armyjosh13_zps26c7b518.jpg

armyjosh14_zps29e067bf.jpg

He's a lefty like me, so the roller head prybar is built for use with the left hand.

armyjosh15_zps65009ff0.jpg

armyjosh16_zps98846e3c.jpg

He's done some rearranging of the rig now that it's in his hands. I'll get those uploaded and posted later on.

wow great rig there is a ton of thought behind that!! you pulled that off in spades my friend. do i see a wip in your future on the pry bars?

Thank y'all!

Franklin - Not unless I get a request to build another one. I didn't take any in-progress shots. The flat one was mostly stock removal.

Here are the changes he's made so far:

The handle on Mightor felt a bit small to him, so he wrapped it in paracord. The previous Micarta handles I've done felt a bit thick to me, so I stepped the size down; this one felt fine to me. I've offered to take off the handle slabs and put on thicker ones if he prefers but haven't heard back yet. We'll see what he decides.

mod5_zps3ad13017.jpg

mod4_zps20e880ba.jpg

He's wearing the rig attached to his belt with it stuck down into his pocket. He decided the roller head prybar would be used the most, so used the sheath for the flat prybar to cover the end and has the flat bar stowed in his go bag and arranged the sheath so it would fit in the pocket (which must be rather deep!). He also took Little Rok and attached it at a cant to the back side of the main sheath, allowing quick and easy access. I've also offered to build an enclosed sheath specifically for the roller head prybar so the flat prybar can keep its own sheath. Like I said earlier, I wasn't sure how the prybar sheaths would work out and was figuring there might be some tweaking to get everything situated.

mod3_zpsf1ee019e.jpg

mod2_zpsf5e7b83a.jpg

mod6_zpsf54c3dd1.jpg

He took part of an old rigger's belt and cut a long enough loop to hook onto a wide pistol belt and let the rig ride at the appropriate height in his pocket and then attached it with some Chicago screws.

mod8_zps2199a494.jpg

After that, he added some paracord to the outside to smooth things up and add some extra cordage.

mod12_zps662650bd.jpg

mod10_zpsa86aaffb.jpg

And here it is as worn.

mod1_zpsae637356.jpg

I like modular gear; it's like Legos for big kids. :D

Back