Sharpening 15n20

M1911a

I made 6 kitchen knives out of Aldo's 15n20. I am trying to sharpen them and I am not getting a good result. I have tried stones and my KMG 2x72. Can anyone point me in the right direction? My other knives I have made were out of Aldo's 1084 I can get a shaving sharp edge on them. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have made a few blades with 15n20 and didn’t have any trouble getting the blade sharp. What’s the edge thickness before sharpening?

Rockwell hardness has nothing to do with how sharp you can get an edge. Mild steel can be made shaving sharp.

Are you raising a burr?

Yes I can see the burr I use a set of magnifiers to look at the edge. I just finished a 9 inch disk grinder with a VFD maybe I will try a coupe of old knives that need sharpening. Then give it a try on one of the ones I made. I'm going back to the shop to give that a try.

Thanks for everyone's input. I think John hit the nail on the head. I was not getting a burr, I went back to square one and double checked my burr. I have the first one sharp. You guys are great thanks for helping a novice out.
Brent Milner

Back