san mai dao, pweld, process begun (and pic of another already forged)

kevin - the professor

Hello Everyone.

I made a dao and then contacted a noted historical sword expert for advice. Unfortunately, he told me, the continuation of the fuller back into the actual tang was not done with traditional dao.

IMG_0493.jpg

So, it was back to the drawing board and anvil/forge. The hope is to get a billet together, get the layer count up, and then make another sword with the general shape of the one above but with proper fullering.
IMG_0480.jpg

Here is the bar with 320 layers next to the w2 bar that will be the middle plate of the san mai. The outter plates will be formed from the pweld bar. It is composed of low manganese 1075, w2, and 1020. The ratios are 21. This give me essentially low manganese 1070 with a nice, subtle pattern to use. The bar is cut in half and the final billet was assembled for welding. The first round of welds are set using the dies long-ways. The second round, little bites are taken using them in the shorter direction. The first welds are set without much distortion to the billet. The second round, little bites are taken and allowed to squeeze in maybe 1/2" each bite. The third round is gentle squeezing from the sides, under the long axis of the dies. This keeps any layers from overlapping and cold-shutting along the sides. Then, all of the remaining passes are done at welding heat and serious bites are taken basically as deep as they can be under the dies in the 4" direction, then back to sideways under the long axis to keep the billet straight and true.

IMG_0481.jpg

the pweld bars cut and stacked outside the w2. Essentially all traditional Chinese swords were of either san mai (3 plate) or quiangiang (I know I spelled that wrong, but the term means, "inserted edge." You all know it as the way an axe is made, with a bit of high carbon steel for the edge inserted into low carbon steel or iron for the body). I like san mai best right now. So, I have the side plates of medium carbon steel, and the central plate of high carbon plus vanadium. Also, traditional Chinese swords almost all displayed a deliberate pattern from the welding together of steel to get enough to make a sword. These patterns were deliberate and manipulated just like on Celtic blades. Finally, almost all historic Chinese swords show the results of clay heat treatment (the Japanese learned this from the Chinese). So, I am mimicking tradition with the same goals - a visually attractive sword with obvious pattern welding and visible heat treatment pattern (shuangxue, the Chinese word for hamon), and a sword with shock resistant body and sharp cutting edge.

IMG_0483.JPG

the first big squeeze

I deliberately cut everything to 7" because my press dies are 4" x 6". This gives the ability to squeeze the middle first and squish anything unwanted in there out toward the ends, then squeeze the ends and seal the weld. Now that I have a forge that gets truly hot (Chile) and a press, welding is almost unfair.

IMG_0484.JPG

one end

IMG_0485.JPG

then the other.

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

Here is the san mai billet, all welded. I am stopping here because I am tired. You can see my 4lb hammer from Danci' Frog for perspective. This is plenty of steel to make a 25-28" sword. I spent a lot of time over the last day and a half welding, drawing, cutting, grinding, stacking, welding... so I am tired. I like to start the actual forging of a sword when I am fully-rested. Also, when I weld, I put a liner of kiln shelving on the bottom of my forge, and it is a semi-molten mass of dissolved ceramic and flux/oxides. I take this out for actual forging so that I can keep the blade cleaner.

More to follow. Wish me luck.

Kevin

Last edited:
you got it buddy , sorry I did not reply sooner ,been sick with some liver problems but, I feel a lot better today.... Bubba

looks good,more pics, more pics. one day i will mess up a sword till then i will watch you guys doing it right!!! lol

thanks guys. I had to go on family trip. Maybe some forging today. Hopefully, soon. Semester is starting back up at University, which means I have to work my real job...
kc

Ok, another day at forging.

IMG_0526.jpg

This is the san mai bar just getting set for another round of drawing and tapering.

IMG_0527.JPG
Here is a shot of the dies used for this. They can be used to lengthen or widen. Also, I use these to set the distal taper in a lot of my blades. Careful, with lots of little bites taken close together at tip and distance between squishes slowly increasing as I work up the blade, and depth of squish also decreasing.

IMG_0528.jpg

Drawn and tapered some (it is about 18" of blade portion here).

IMG_0529.jpg[
Now, this is about 24" of blade, and the drawing and tapering with dies is done, and I have flattened with flat dies (of course). Now, it is time to forge a true pre-form on the anvil.

IMG_0530.JPG

Here is the pre-form for the blade. Notice the taper is profile width and thickness. It is 1.4" wide and .4" thick at forte and tapers to 1.0" wide and .2" thick near point. The final product will have a slow taper in both width and thickness until about half or two thirds up the blade, and then both tapers will get much steeper. There will also be a fuller from 3" past the forte until about 8" from the tip, and a secondary bevel for the last 6 or so inches to aid in balancing the blade.

IMG_0531.jpg

beginning forging, just the first section. See how there is a line where the bevel begins, and how the blade drops down due to the thinning and moving of metal. I will grind a secondary bevel on this portion, but I wait until after heat treatment. This helps to keep the blade from being too bendy in the heating prior to hardening. If I thinned both sides near the point, the sword would not be able to stay straight under its own weight when at critical temp. So, I grind that in and do some tapering to the back. The final dimension of the blade is a bit of a clamshell, meaning there is a little bit of a taper from above the fuller to the spine, just as there is a convex taper from below the fuller to the cutting edge.

IMG_0532.JPG

This is the point where I change ends and forge by holding the point. I can avoid tongs totally on a blade this long. Now, in fact, the blade portion (or what will be) is 27" long.

IMG_0533.JPG
forged, hanging from post vise after the last (4th) normalization.

IMG_0534.jpg
forged and normalized. The blade is 28" now, but I will move shoulders forward to get 26". That is as long as I can heat treat well with my forge.

Next step, a whole lot of grinding. Then, a significant amount of filing. Then, angle grinder to cut the fuller. Then, bend to desired shape prior to heat treatment. You get the idea. A LOT more to do.
thanks for looking.
Kevin

Last edited:
Back