Rust is only Skin Deep

Robert Dark

I posted this in a few other places, and thought I would share it here.

The "Dandelion"

Dandelion.jpg

Had a couple of pieces of an old (50's) rusty sawmill blade left and decided to make a quick implement for digging and cutting up dandelions from my lawn. (Thus the somewhat "mundane" handle shape and material)

As always, I never seem be be able to stop at just a quick down and dirty grind, heat treat, and put it to work. Nooooooo..... not me......

This one is 9 1/4" overall with a blade of 4 3/4" from tip to handle. The clip is as sharp as the lower portion of the blade. The texturing on the flats was done by nature (RUST). I darkened the flats, spine and exposed handle areas with cold gun blue.

Usually, someone will ask:

What is the steel?........... Answer.... I have no idea, probably something similar to 1070 or 1080 with, perhaps a tad of other alloys tossed in.

How did you heat treat it?............Answer... After I annealed it in my Evenheat, I profiled, ground, and soaked in vinegar to clean up some of the excess rust. I normalized 3 times, then soaked @ 1475° for 6 minutes. Queched in Parks 50, ran two tempering cycles at 400°.

Why did you use a sawmill blade rather than a known steel?........Answer....Because I can.

Hope you like................. Robert

Your going to use that to dig in the ground, that's a shame. Last time someone wanted a dirt poking implement from me I forged a spade tip on a piece of rebar.

Nice work :) definitely the nicest dandy loin digger I have seen

Well, it started out as a "Garden Digger", but when I finished it, I said "Ain't-No-Way-I'm-Stickin'-This-In-The-Dirt"

I decided that someone, somewhere would get more use from it than I ever would, so I decided to let it go to a new home somewhere in hopes that the old saw blade would still be around for many years to come.

Robert

Why did you use a sawmill blade rather than a known steel?........Answer....Because I can

Ha Ha Robert,I love this! Way to go! I understand,I just can't do less than my best,even when making jigs and tools for my own use,that no one else will ever see.
You took a rusty old piece of steel and made a beautiful knife from it.

Calvin,

There seems to be a notion going around that "Re-Cycled" metals are a "NO-NO". You have heard it........ "It may have micro-cracks" or "You don't really know what it is, so you don't know how to heat-treat it", and soooooo many more.

I would never substitute some of this old steel on a custom order (Unless requested), but every now and then, I just find it Tons-of-Fun taking an old rusty piece of steel and making something new from it. Otherwise, that old piece (with much, much history) would simply rust away and be forgotten forever.

I find that making knives is a constant challenge, whether new, known steels, or old re-cycled steels. It is a combination of experience gained through research, trial, error, testing, and refining your techniques. Over time, you can take a known steel or a rusty and forgotten piece and make it perform much better (In my humble opinion) than any knife you will buy off the shelf.

My problem is that I am never really satisfied with my work. Each day I say to myself, "Self, it can be better, so get to it and figure out how to do it better". At my age, I don't know if I will ever "Arrive".

Robert

Robert,
I'm glad you aren't digging with this blade.
It really is the wrong shape for digging, so I was going to offer to swap it with you?
I'd send you a much better digging blade in exchange, but you're ahead of me there,
As usual.
Beautiful and well done,
Dozier

Calvin,

There seems to be a notion going around that "Re-Cycled" metals are a "NO-NO". You have heard it........ "It may have micro-cracks" or "You don't really know what it is, so you don't know how to heat-treat it", and soooooo many more.

I would never substitute some of this old steel on a custom order (Unless requested), but every now and then, I just find it Tons-of-Fun taking an old rusty piece of steel and making something new from it. Otherwise, that old piece (with much, much history) would simply rust away and be forgotten forever.

I find that making knives is a constant challenge, whether new, known steels, or old re-cycled steels. It is a combination of experience gained through research, trial, error, testing, and refining your techniques. Over time, you can take a known steel or a rusty and forgotten piece and make it perform much better (In my humble opinion) than any knife you will buy off the shelf.

My problem is that I am never really satisfied with my work. Each day I say to myself, "Self, it can be better, so get to it and figure out how to do it better". At my age, I don't know if I will ever "Arrive".

Robert

Both known and unknown steels have there place and as long as people are truthful about what it is or isn't? To a potential buyer, Why not?

I think the knife looks great! very well ground and I like the rusty coloring Ah, I mean patina!
LOL Nice work!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Robert, that is way too nice to dig weeds with- how could you sleep at night if you wiped out those grind lines on the edge of the driveway?
Not to hijack, but I have this weed knife that my dad made 50 years ago (he was a tool maker) and it belies weed digging prowess that he obviously was hiding.
The blade is very thin and flat (.072 O1, I guess) and handle is machined from solid aluminum, which is very clunky and uncomfortable but durable. The width is important when stabbing and twisting to pop out the weed.
I did a field trial (ran out into front yard and dug some weeds) to solidify my claims. Happy Weed Knife Building :biggrin:

Attachments

• WEEDK4.jpg
    WEEDK4.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
That's a really nice looking knife Robert. I like the cold blue on the reclaimed rusty steel. Nice look!

Beautiful knife. The contrast between the pitted flats and the bevel is striking.

Yesterday, the UPS man delivered a package to me from MT Baker Mercantile. When I opened it, I was surprised to find a "REAL Dandelion Digger.

Which one of you Dawgs sent this to me? If you will own up to it, I will send you payment for it. I looked it up, and they don't give those away.

Dozier, have you been up to something lately? :)

Robert
digger.jpg

Busted! But I ain't taking your money.
Did you get a chuckle?
Dozier

Ah ha....... I knew it. Something in my mind kept saying that rascal Dozier sent this. I actually used it this morning, and it does a great job on dandelions and other pesky weeds.

I appreciate it my friend, and I'll make it up to you one day.

Robert

Back