Retired in New Mexico

wmhammond

Hello, my name is Wallace Hammond, I’m from Oklahoma. I am 67 years old, retired, married to the same woman for 44 years (Shari), raised three good kids and now live in Las Cruces, NM. I am a lifelong, hunter, skeet shooter/reloader, fisherman, golfer, hobbyist and pretty good at working with my hands. Some of my pursuits have been: model building (as a boy), woodworking, welding, taxidermist, golf club building, golf course modeling, architectural modeling, lapidary, silversmithing and now, hopefully, knife making. I have a well equipped woodwork shop, a fully equipped lapidary shop and a silver/goldsmithing bench.

As yet, I have not started even my very first knife. In preparation to build a knife I have watched about 25 hours of You Tube videos, I have purchased a sheet of 3/32” X 6” X 72” 440c steel from Admiral, some Corby screws from USA Knifemaker Supply and a 1” X 30” belt grinder from Harbour Freight. Guess I’m ready to go.:52:

I love to cook so I will be attempting to build some kitchen knives as well as knives for outdoor use. With that in mind, I thought it might be fun to start with a set of steak knives; build them one at a time and number them. Then take a look at how the 8th one differs from the first one. That ought to give me, and everybody else, some idea if this is for me.

One question before I start, though. Admiral tells me that the steel I bought has been annealed and should be as soft as possible. My question is this: After I cut out the blank and render it into it’s final profile shape at 3/32” thick should I put the initial grind on the knife blade before I send it to heat treat? My concern is this: my steel starts at only 3/32” thick and the spine will taper over the length of the blade to about half that and my initial blade edge grind will also reduce the cutting edge thickness to about 3/64”. I have read and watched videos that tell me that a blank worked this thin before heat treating will tend to warp. Should that be a concern or should I just shape the blank profile – have it hardened –then grind the blade after hardening? Thanks for your help and I look forward to getting to know a lot of you.

Wallace

Wallace - I shoot for .050 before heat treatment for my edge thickness, typically. Even air hardening steels or a plate quench setup will occasionally present with some distortion after they've cooled - I find that a "swing" of the cutting edge or tip to one side is more common than a lengthwise bow. There are many methods to correct distortion, if the edge is no longer centered after hardening the .050 gives you a little wiggle room to grind it back square.

On thinner kitchen knife stock I definitely recommend grinding the bevels after heat treatment.

Hi Wallace
Welcome, great intro, I feel like I know you already. You're bringing a lot of skills here and look forward to seeing your work.

Silver smithing and lapidary work are interests of mine that I'm hoping to incorporate into my work.

Thanks, Mark. When I get into something new I get a little out of control. I took up silversmithing right after we moved to New Mexico (Albuquerque, East Mountains on the "Turquoise Trail" in the Pako Ridge development). I took 1 week of silversmithing lessons in Albuquerque. Six months later I had moved to Gallup, NM hard against the Navajo Nation. I worked with most of the best silversmiths on the Rez and ended up working for the Navajo Nation for 6 years in their Arts & Crafts Enterprise. Got hooked on turquoise and started buying rough stone and cutting my own cabs. Once I get started on something I can't stop.:2:-

William, it is a little late now but try to come to the Batson Blade Symposium next week (www.alaforge.org) There you will meet some of the best knife makers in the business and get to see lots of them doing demonstrations. If you make it be sure and come by my canopy to visit. Just look for my banner and the KnifeDogs banner.

Morning Frank, its nice to know you and I appreciate your assistance, If I understand your comments correctly I can "pre-grind" my 3/32" blank down to .05 (3/64") before I send it to heat treat. That's good to know and I will keep you posted on my progress. Thanks again,

Wallace

Wayne, thanks for the invite but I won't be able to attend. I do look forward to visiting knife shows, etc. in the future but I think I need to get my "hands dirty" so I will at least know what I am talking about. Thanks again,

Wallace

Wallace -

For kitchen knives or very small flat ground styles I've found it best to profile the blade, pierce any holes, deburr it, and then do any bevel grinding after heat treatment - you then must avoid heating the blade past the tempering range. I'd refer to the figure of .050 as minimum thickness of the edge prior to heat treatment, however with the entire blade being roughly .090 I myself would do all the grinds after it's been tempered. I make a lot of larger knives where it's beneficial to remove as much stock as possible without introducing any additional problems during the heat treatment and that particular thickness is one that I've found gives me some room to maneuver while still removing enough of the unhardened blade stock to speed the process.

Reviewing my first message, I should have posted the snippet regarding thinner stock before, instead of after, my other information. Sorry if this caused any confusion of emphasis.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Pack here at KDS.

I make mostly culinary knives. That means food prep for any not certain.:3:

I use 3/32" 440C and other air hardening steels and the process I can share with you is as follows.

!) I grind the profile.
2) I drill and pin holes and weight reduction holes.
3) I send them off to HT. I use Paul Bos. They are inside Buck knives and you would be very hard pressed to find a better HT outfit.
4) After the steel is HTED weather 1/8" or 3/32" I taper the tang on the 1/8" or thicker steel and I leave the 3/32" un tapered. in the tang.

5) I grind my flat bevels at about half speed or less.. Use sharp fresh ceramic belts for 30, 60 and 120 grits for only a knife or maybe two and then use that belt for profiling etc. I dip in the bucket, wipe the grinding side and make a pass and dip again etc. you will get a little dance going here after a while.

The last temper on most of these steels is at about 400 degrees so as soon as you see the water droplets steaming at about 200 degrees on the side of the blade you can see it's time to dunk.

Does this help?

Laurence, it does help and I thank you for the step by step, I love that level of precision. Could you let me know how to get in touch with Paul Bos as I don't have (or need) a heat treater yet but I will soon. I looked at your web site and you do a great job - "Knifemaker to the Stars" I'll bet. Thanks again,

Wallace

Frank, thanks for the update. Yours, along with Laurence's below clear it up pretty good for me. Thanks again,

Wallace

Back